“Incredible Divemaster Internship”

Wicked Diving Khao Lak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wicked Diving is a small dive center located in Khao Lak, Thailand. We service the Simlan Islands, Richelieu Rock and the Suring Islands We are focused on ethical operations and safety while delivering top-notch service. As our primary concern is our environment, we operate in small groups with skilled guides that emphasize reducing our impact on the eco-systems we visit. You can join our Similan liveaboards, guided overnight snorkeling tours, thorough training courses as well as daytrips to the Similan and Surin Islands.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It’s hard to imagine that I didn’t write this review earlier considering I was part of the first group of divemaster trainees during the 2012/2013 season in Khao Lak. Better late than never!

Let me start off by saying that I basically looked at divemaster internships all across the world, from the Carribeans to Europe to Africa to Australia. You name it, I looked it up. Why did I settle on Wicked Diving in Thailand? Here were some of my top reasons:

- Liveaboards (living and diving on a boat for several days)
- Small groups of divemaster trainees (4 max per group)
- World-class diving (great visibility with warm waters)
- Includes accommodation (bungalows are located a short walk from the shop)
- Low living expenses (cost of food, entertainment, etc.)
- Safety conscious and eco-friendly dive shop

When I look back at my internship with Wicked Diving, I can’t help but smile a little bit. It really was a fantastic course with amazing instructors. Diego was our official divemaster coordinator / instructor but the rest of the Wicked staff made our experience that much better. All the instructors were friendly, knowledgeable and experienced. All four of us from the course learned to become very good divemasters. Not only did we learn by doing, we learned from examples and our examples were all world-class instructors.

There are a lot of divemaster internships where the goal is just to check off the minimum requirements for you to get your certification. With Wicked Diving, you get more than that. You get real experience leading actual guests. You learn to handle real problems that arise during dive trips on liveaboards. You learn from mistakes you make and you learn from the guidance of your instructors. And you have a lot of fun the entire time.

As for Khao Lak (just over an hour north of Phuket airport), it is a small town. You can walk from one end to the other in under 20 minutes. But don’t let the small size fool you. For those looking for adventure and a good time, you will still find it in Khao Lak, particularly if you get to know the locals. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Some might get bored very easily if they need the bustling life of bigger cities. However, for those who truly want to experience “local” Thailand this is definitely one of the places that you need to be.

Finally, for those who would like to spend a bit of time in Khao Lak working as a divemaster after your internship, it’s definitely a possibility, particularly if you are in the first crop of divemaster trainees. Your course should end by late November, which is just in time for the holiday season. Lots of shops look for freelance divemasters to take on their extra work. I was personally able to get work with Wicked Diving and with another shop. Just make sure to build up a good reputation both as an individual and as a diver. Get out there and meet everyone in town. Chances are someone knows someone who is looking for divers. Moreover, Wicked Diving has a great reputation of producing very good divemasters, so just being associated with the shop increases your credibility.

If you are looking for a divemaster internship where you gain knowledge and experience beyond the actual divemaster curriculum of PADI or SSI, look no further. If you are looking to experience Thailand in ways other tourists never will, look no further. If you want to work with an amazing staff and become part of an amazing family, look no further. The divemaster internship at Wicked Diving was some of the best times of my life and I have no doubt if you choose Wicked Diving you will also leave with memories to last a lifetime!

7  Thank GYeh514

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was my first trip on a liveaboard and I had a blast. The staff were professional, experienced, personable and went out of their way to ensure everyone had a great dive. The food, boat and dive gear were all good and exceeded my expectations. The whole "wicked" experience really is comparable with other dive operators that are 2 or 3 times the price. Book with confidence!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I took a 3 day live aboard (my first) and it was incredible!! Besides the absolutely stunning sights we were fortunate enough to explore, the staff were so friendly and made you feel like you were part of an extended family the moment you stepped in to the shop. (Even the food was good...BONUS!!!)

we were so fortunate to see a manta 25 minutes in to our first dive. What a way to start off a honeymoon!! While its obviously not a guarantee, these guys know the waters and the sea life there so well you are GTD to see some amazing creatures!!

A special thank you to Jade for working with me on my advanced certification and to Choc for just being hilarious!! Have you learned how to whistle yet Choc??

If we ever get a chance to come back, we will 100% be diving with this group again!!

1  Thank Karyn D
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great boat, great food, great staff, great weather and the best dive sites.. what else is there to wish for.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I'm a slightly older diver, late 40s, but found the Wicked team a joy to be around. In and out of the water they were relaxed and helpful, totally on top of everything. Everybody on the boat , including the other guests were completely inclusive in everything we did, we played board games and chatted in between dives, there was a real sense of camaraderie. The food was excellent and in abundance. The boat crew were also lovely. It was so good I took a second trip and had an equally good time in the Similan islands. I also joined their 'pirate boat' in Komodo and had an equally good time, it seems their ability to please is not a fluke.
Boat notes: this is a dive boat, two to a cabin. I'm a single traveller and I don't mind sharing the air con cabin. Shared toilets and shower were not a problem, only the occasional short wait. The dive deck is more than adequate even on a full boat, two well organised groups go in turn.
If you take diving seriously but want to have an all round fun trip you really must meet the Wicked team.

2  Thank Kaykay K