“Best place to begin your travels”
Review of Walkers Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Khao Lak
Walkers Inn
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at Walker's for 4 weeks whilst I was volunteering and I couldn't ask for a better experience from Andy, Joo and their wonderful daughter Enya. I settled in as soon as I arrived, for any traveler Andy is perfect any advice for travelling locally and getting around to other places like the Islands. You get the perfect balance between Thai cuisine and western comforts. The food is delicious, I stayed there so long I practically tried everything on the menu. The hostel is an ideal location, a 2 minute walk from the beach; shops and other local amenities are close as well. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the showers hot, there's a choice to stay in a dorm or a double private room. Downstairs there's free internet access and two TVs that you can get satellite on so you can catch up on sports or choose from the several channels. The family atmosphere is maintained by the family who run the place and when you arrive you are welcomed with open arms.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RajPavillion

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Walkers Inn came recommended from dive shops and other divers in Khao Lak. It exceeded in every way my expectations. From my initial email, right through to our departure. Nothing was to much trouble and always on hand to answer any questions and given genuine information and no hard sell.
We had a large, ensuite, front room with aircon, TV and a balcony and at Backpackers prices, is excellent value for money. It was serviced to a very high standard everyday, even if we slept late.
Both the European and Thai style food was well presented tasty and at a good price.
This will be a must visit again, maybe later this year!

Room Tip: Andy will help and put in an extra bed, just ask! They also have Dorms which are cheaper for single...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GamboandMambo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent three very enjoyable days and nights at Walkers Inn in late November, and have nothing but good things to say about it. The choice was made in part because of the proximity of Walkers to Laguna Resort (just across the main road). The clincher was nevertheless the owner Andy's remarkable email helpfulness - months earlier - towards a customer who was not even a customer at that stage.

As it turned out, the people we were meeting in Khao Lak weren't able to get into their booked accommodation in Laguna. It was heftily oversold (naughty-naughty...) and they wound up in a new resort at the other end of town, but we have no regrets whatsoever: we definitely landed on our feet. Andy, his wife Joo, their sweet daughter Enya, and all the staff made us completely welcome from the off. We have stayed in FAR less agreeable establishments with much grander names - and with the tariffs to go with it.

The room was large, spotlessly clean, and had air-con, an ensuite bathroom and a decent-sized balcony facing the front. Noise from the road was not a problem, nor from the bar below, which seemed to close relatively early. Breakfast was excellent, with seriously good coffee (not always a given in Thailand), and our review elsewhere confirms that the restaurant fare at dinner was just as good as in the mornings.

Joo also kindly fixed up our relatives with a competitively-priced private transfer to Phuket Airport and arranged a minivan for us to travel on to our next destination on Koh Lanta. And how did we reward her and her husband? We went and took the room-key with us, that's all. Oops! Sorry about that, and glad to hear it was returned safely. Note to management: Get Heavier Keys!

No, it's not The Ritz or Hôtel George V, and it never claims to be, but what Walkers lacks in uniformed flunkies, Bulgari soaps, and fluffy bathrobes it more than makes up for in down-to-earth honest friendliness. The old "home from home" cliché actually works here. Cordial without ever being cloying, which isn't always an easy ask. An interesting mix of guests, too. Some were volunteers at local schools (under-staffed, under-funded, under-equipped, so respect to these folks for helping out), while others were long-stay backpackers or divers.

"Walkers Inn", it says over the door, so you'd imagine it would be listed under B&Bs and Inns, wouldn't you? Apparently not, as it sits here atop the "Specialty Lodging" pile.

Whatever. It's worth all the plaudits, and by the time we left we felt an emotion not normally associated with hotels: a curious sort of protective urge. Andy can doubtless stand up for his own establishment, but let this review and that of the restaurant state the blinking obvious - you will not find better value for your money anywhere in Khao Lak.

Keep on keeping on, Walkers!

Room Tip: Nothing wrong with No.5, and no noise from road or bar.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Otyikondo
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I can only say that you are made welcome as soon as you arrive
and feel part of the family within an hour and then it becomes your home too!!!!!
fantastic :)
Made so many great people there from all over the world
such a great time
i cant wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The front rooms have balconies
1  Thank philk51
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Recently stayed for a month and felt at home as soon as I arrived. Greeted by Andy (the owner) and shown to my room by his wife (Joo). This was my first solo trip and I'm so glad I chose to stay here as I immediately felt at home and comfortable. A lot of volunteers and backpackers stay here as they have a dormitory that is very cheap. I am a 'slightly' older traveller so opted for my own room, arranged in advance. Everyone there is so friendly and helpful and if they don't know the answer to a question (which is rare) they will find out for you. The food and drink are great and very reasonably priced. The Inn is in a great position being near a lovely beach and the small town is literally on the doorstep. Great place for divers also and loads of dive shops in town.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was lucky to stay at walkers,the rooms are nice and big,clean ect . The owners are really nice ,make you feel welcome.Anything you need to know about Khaolak they'll be happy to help you,
Its well placed for all the beaches too.Theres plenty of entertainment if you want to get involved,with a real mix of nationalities staying there.The food is a good mix of thai and western dishes (big portions as well!!).we used to go eat there even when we were staying in khaolak long term.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed in Walkers inn for 5 days and had an amazing time. The rooms are spacious and clean. The owner Andy and his wife are always around to answer any questions and help you with any trip plans. They booked my bus ticket and because I was running late from my day trip to the Similans, Andy drove me to the bus station with his car. Also, the food in the restaurant is the best in Khao Lak. I can highly recommend this hostel to everybody and I will be back for sure.

2  Thank AndrejaB