“Disappointed”

Ocean Breeze Resort
Ranked #51 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at this 'resort' when it was under different management. We decided to go back this year because of the wonderful experience and beautiful location.

The pluses are, outstanding location, beautiful beach, small surf beach further down.

The minuses are: our deluxe room had a plastic door to the bathroom and chairs that had to be propped against a wall because they were falling apart. After checking in we went to the restaurant for a light meal before retiring. Waited for 10 minutes to be noticed, we weren't, then left and went across the road, where we were served instantly. We only went to the restaurant for breakfast. More attention should be paid to the breakfast buffet as some of the food was well and truly past its prime. Internet is only available in the reception area and the restaurant. We had better connection on the beach from other sources.

The biggest disappointment though was the 'compulsory Gala Dinner' for New Year's Eve. Each guest of the resort was expected to pay a large sum of money for a dinner as a condition of staying New Year's Eve, regardless of whether you wish to attend or not. The cost of this dinner for my family (4 four people) exceeded the cost of two extra nights accommodation.

We have been visiting Khao Lak for nearly over 7 years, this is the first time we have encountered this practice. I have to say that Ocean Breeze is not the only hotel/resort that does this. Is this practice, charging for an event at an exorbitant rate, as a condition of booking even legal?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sophie C

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived to Ocean Breeze and weren't disappointed. I thought the place was better than the pictures- We had our room directly across from the pool- and another 20 steps to the ocean- can't beat it! The dining area and bar were so beautiful with all the lights and lanterns- at night some tables were set up on the beach for dinner- very romantic- although I was there with my best girlfriend:) We stayed for 3 nights and so glad we did! Our room was gorgeous- beautiful bathroom- like an outdoor oasis- with stones lining the bathroom floor/shower area- All the staff were friendly and so welcoming- The breakfast buffet was amazing! omelet station, fruits/cheese platters- thai dishes as well....really delicious every morning! So glad we had that included! Massages right on the beach (in a small hut that looked out to the ocean)
The hotel was located about a 10min walk to the main street with all the restaurants/bars/shops were- there were a few quiet bars/restaurants directly across from the hotel as well. If you walked down the beach several massage huts/bars and restaurants lined the beach that you could go to as well. Really nice beach- great for running/morning walks- clear water- MUCH better than Phuket which i wasnt impressed with at all (specifically Karon beach)
Ocean Breeze seemed to be right in the middle of it all- in a perfect location. A beautiful accommodation!
100% recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Definitely bring your bug spray!!!! we had moquito nets provided and they even sprayed our room one...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank juliet l
Reviewed January 19, 2013

There is a lot to like about Ocean Breeze it has a magnificent beach front with restaurant and bar and a picture perfect pool but there are a few things it must do to be a good resort.

First of all Internet access is non existent like it or not we need this to keep in touch with family or work. It is supposedly available in reception but in my 4 days it never worked. I got better Internet from the noodle soup place in the Main Street.

Second I do not like the practice of prices in the bar and restaurant not including the service fee and tax. You think the price is ok then you get the bill and they have added 20-25% for tax and service even if you didn't get service. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and is not common Thai practice.

Finally the staff are not very helpful they always smile and say thank you but language problems and delivery mean you get nothing from them.

If they address these issues it would be a very good resort. So make up your own mind if these issues are not important then book otherwise there are many other places as good or better.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Mark W
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Ocean Breeze sits on a great location 5 min walk to the Main Street and right on a great stretch of beach in Khao Lak.

The main area of the resort with the pool, the restaurant, the bar and the massage are all close together and right on the waterfront. The best possible layout.

The Thai food in the restaurant was excellent and not at all overpriced. The bar makes fantastic fresh fruit shakes and the pool and rest of the resort was clean and in good condition.

Don't miss taking a walk north on the beach were you'll find a long stretch of land that is unbuilt and a long row of beach bars / restaurants and massage beds in classic Thai style.

We stayed in, and scouted a lot of hotels and resorts in the same price range as the Ocean Breeze in Khao Lak, but nothing came close to being as nice as this.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank thetallswede
Reviewed May 11, 2012

2nd week of our trip to Thailand we decided to stay in the Ocean Breeze resort and well its alright. But just alright. Nothing to rave about to be honest and at 4000 Baht per night (nearly £90) for a standard you could do a lot better for your cash. But due to availability (or lack of) in other resorts we chose Ocean Breeze.
Location wise its perfect, just on the beach but then again most places in Khao Lak are on the beach.
Staff wise - this is where this resort fails. The staff seem to be unmotivated and not really connected with the job at hand. Requests met with a not so happy face and a dragging of the feet. Might be a management issue I don’t know but something should change here because it brings the resort down.
Breakfast was ok though fruitflies all over the place doesnt make for appetizing food.... generally an uninspiring breakfast. Also people smoking in the open air restaurant made it even less appealing since we had our 7 month baby with us.
We learned that this place is only 2 years since refurbishment (or opening maybe) and whilst the rooms are fine the resort is already beginning to look tired so a spruce up is in order.
If you like to hang out with Germans then this is the place for you. Mainly a German orientated resort and I think the manager is German also. There was also an unhelpful German guy sitting behind the dive/tour desk all day every day who was of no help at all when we asked about dive tours. In fact, he made me not want to book with him as his short, uninformative, didnt care attitude put me off. So we went elsewhere and gave our money to someone else. Just as we will do next time we come to Khao Lak with regards to accommodation.
We would give this place a 4.5 out of 10 and are unlikely to return to this resort unless I hear that they have changed mangement and actually motivated their staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TanzanianTam
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I happened upon this hotel by chance. I turned right instead of left. Saw at billowing curtains and nice foliage and had to stop and ask. What an amazing place!! The entrance is small, yet well appointed. The two Thai girls at the front were genuine, professional and helpful. After seeing three rooms, my girlfriend and I chose a bungalow. I requested non-smoking (because some idiots actually still smoke these days) and a queen sized bed. Around 4,000 baht including a breakfast. We were escorted down the path toward the beach by petite, friendly Thai girl who chatted with us politely. A 550 sf bungalow left, festooned with flowers awaited us. Comfortable bed with fresh-smelling pillows. (Note: if the pillows look soiled or smell bad then leave I immediately!).The room was perfectly clean. An impressive shower area. Loved the way the sink, floor and shower were coordinated. The beach is lovely. Safe for children. The breakfast was incredible!. A comparable breakfast would have cost at least 600 baht for the two of us. My favourite was the pineapple pancakes. Coffee was good, but not strong enough. No espresso (ouch!)..The omelet was perfectly prepared and arrived steaming hot. Overall, I'd give this a solid 9.5. If they had a lifeguard on the beach, had a non-smoking area on the beach and CBC so that I could watch a hockey game then I would have given this place a 10. I recommend this place to everyone and I will come back with friends again soon. Note: I have extensively and stayed in all kinds of hotels and resorts in North America, Europe, The Middle East, The Caribbean, Hawaii, Asia .. and this place is now one of my favourites. Cheers, Stan from Vancouver Canada

Room Tip: Get the bungalow near the beach. Only $50 more a night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stan i
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I live 9 years in Thailand. Me and my Thai wife have visited tens resorts and hotels. This resort is absolutely the worst. Drunk German seniors sitting at terrace drinking the cheapest beer from local shops every evening screaming until 3 a.m. After our complaints the manager Cony wanted to get us out of resort. He screamed: „go to Bandara hotel it is quite silent place“. After discussion the reception staff said to us that he is just a local trip seller pretending to be owner, sometimes manager of the resort. To send solvent clients to competition is strange at least. This self-made manager is not liked by either reception or other resort staff. The only person who stayed by him was wife of the owner of the resort. What a pity! The resort has a good position, Thai staff is friendly. I strongly believe that if there would be well-being place, clients would use the restaurant and wouldn’t come just for breakfast. I don’t understand how the owner of resort could allow such a devaluation of his investment and reputation. I wish to this resort to eliminate all its problems soon and followed the course of thousands hotels and resorts in Thailand where the friendship, well-being, rest and tranquillity is a natural thing.
Miroslav K.