We had a really nice stay here. From the moment of pick up at the airport, everything was organised, staff were friendly, and every effort to make sure our needs were met.
We wanted a quiet and relaxing holiday doing nothing - and this was the perfect place for it.
We had a family suite with pool access. The room was impressive - big, spacious and always immaculately clean. We had no issues with housekeeping, it was always done in a timely manner and up to an impeccable standard inside. We noticed that our side of accommodation (starting with 1) was quieter, and more private. Pool was divine and we mosied and swam everyday, snaking around the 3km
Breakfast did feel a bit school hallish - but to be honest, beyond that we didn't really notice how busy the resort was given it's size.
We only ate once formal dining at the Japanese buffet. It was ok, lots of variety but I wouldn't exactly say high quality. However I must commend the pool side cafe and the deli, which always made delicious snacks. The movenpick shakes were divine.
The restaurant shacks on the beach front are highly recommended for Thai; my picks Blue mist (try the watermelon shake - yum!!), Phens (fish was amazing), and Geckos - all good quality, cheap and delicious. Thumbs down to Andaman, busy, small portions and not tasty.
Massage wise - we really liked the spa place in the row of shops out the front of the hotel. In busy times, make a booking. The Spa at the hotel does great massages, but alot more expensive
It's also very easy to get transport outside the front of the hotel and much much cheaper than when organised from the resort. There are listed prices, and it's nice to help out the locals, so that the commission doesn't always fall into the hands of those who are already making the money.
In terms of sampling local way of living - most of Khao Lak is really formulated for tourists. Ban Niang markets weren't really that appealing. We did see a very big busy night market full of locals about 20 mins drive towards Phuket direction which we only noticed on the way to the airport and wished we had chanced upon it during our trip.
As to some of the comments regarding whether this resort lives up to 5 star - it's place that's marketed as a family getaway, so yes there are kids and families about at times. But the resort is big enough to be private for couples. As to the geckos and exterior of buildings; it's a tropical country - if I didn't see some wear and tear, that would be odd, it's part of living in such an environment. And for the pricing of restaurants - it's not cheap, but at the same time, I wouldn't call them truly 5 star prices either. It's nothing more than what you would pay at home on a relative level.
To sum up, we had a great time and would recommend it to others if it fits what you are looking for in a holiday; relaxation, good food, and lazing..
Well done Marriott!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the treasures of Khao Lak at JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort and Spa. The pristine white sand beach stretches for miles, melting into the exquisite azure waters of the Andaman Sea. This is Khao Lak, Thailand - a hidden paradise of sun, sea and sand, as well as lush tropical greenery, granite mountains and stunning waterfalls. The vast landscaped area within the resort grounds makes the resort an ideal outdoor venue for incentives or themed events, weddings or product launches. At Marriott Hotels and Resorts®, it's our mission to make every business trip a pleasure and every vacation a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy amenity-filled guest rooms, superb dining, and exemplary meeting facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Khao Lak Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Khao Lak Hotel Khao Lak
- Cher Fah Hotel
- Cher Fah Resort