“Similan day tour”

Sea Dragon Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Center and Khao Lak’s first and original Dive Center since 1993 – our success is due to our loyal return customer base. Specializing in liveaboard dive trips we offer a choice of two different boats and six different liveaboard trips ranging from 1 – 7 days to the islands of the Andaman Sea. Whilst each of our boats and trips is individually tailored to reflect your various tastes and budgets, they all share common ground with an emphasis on high safety standards, personalised friendly service, excellent food and, of course, lots of fun. Additionally, we offer local diving to our house reef and our three local wrecks, and can arrange Similan day trips with a selection of other dive operators in town. For those of you who wish to begin or advance your diving, our friendly staff can conduct the full range of PADI dive courses in many languages, from beginner through to Instructor. Hope to see you soon!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Sion, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Similan day tour”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very kind staff, well organised, I did a similan day tour with diving discovery. Very professional, nice dives and Similan islands are just fantastic.

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“great diving”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We wanted a local dive on our holiday and chose Sea Dragon and the Bang Sak wreck. it was a great day! With the package we got lunch and we dived off a longtail boat, it was a fun day.The dive guide was very knowledgeable and experienced and we were impressed with Sea Dragon throughout. The dive was fantastic - great vis and abundant sea life - great for photography.

Visited February 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Very good liveaboard trip”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I went on my first liveaboard trip in December with these guys to the Similan Islands, and it was a great experience. They are very professional, and put me in a group with people of simimlar experience. Our Divemaster Lars was very nice, along with the lead Axl and Maria and...forgotten other names, sorry!

One thing I would have liked them to do was to unblock the drains in the bathrooms...after the second and third day they were starting to get blocked with toilet paper, which meant that the water from the shower didn't always go through the drain quickly enough. Another bathroom or two would also be nice on the boat, but I'm not sure that would be possible.

However, all-in-all I would definitely use these guys again.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank DaveWorldly
Paphos
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 305 helpful votes
“First Class Dive Centre”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked Package E with Sea Dragon, which included 2 day trips to the Similan Islands, 1 day trip to Koh Bon & 2 dives on the Babn Sak wreck. I would like to say a huge thankyou to Nigel & his crew on the MV Nam Sai day boat, especially Turi, Ollie & Matthias, who were great dive guides. Also many thanks to Rebekka & Turi who took me to the Bang Sak Tin Mining wreck. I went back for another 2 dives as it is such a fantastic wreck to dive. Nigel is also has a lot of information on manta rays & gave a very informative talk. The diving was fantastic, the dive guides were very knowledable & the captain/crew very helpful. I would thoroughly recommend going with Sea Dragon as they have multi lingual dive guides. Many thanks for an excellent diving experience, which contributed to a great holiday in Khao Lak.
Barry

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Barry W
Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 269 helpful votes
“They take the Fun OUT of Diving.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I did an EFR course and a daytrip Wreck Dive with Sea Dragon. The course was well organized, and well presented. The day trip was not so good. The dive site was hyped up, and really wasn’t that good. It is normal for the visibility to be poor, and it is susceptible to currents. There did look to be some decent marine life, but it was also very crowded, and I spent more time avoiding other divers, than looking at fish. We had to make our way to the dive shop for 8:00am, and then spent the next hour hanging about, and taking the briefing. We took a short pick up ride to the beach where the longtail was moored off shore, and then we had to help the crew transfer the kit to the boat. The sea wasn’t that choppy, say 3 feet swells, but the boat was not really suitable. No outriggers, and really cramped for space. There was a reasonably strong current, but they still dropped us down current from the buoy, and didn’t have ropes around the boat to help move forward. After the dives we found that the boat only had one set of steps, which could not be swapped over from one side to the other. Of course, they were on the down current side of the boat so we then had to clamber over the edge.

Another major annoyance was that they made no effort to break up the diver groups by experience. Consequently, a poor guy with over 1,000 dives had to start off with people who had just been diving a short while.

I was also quite annoyed that we were constantly full on hard sell mode from the moment we walked through the door.

There were about another dozen annoyances, but I won’t bother to list them out.

Lastly; if you want to eat, take your own food, as the “lunch” provided was awful.

Overall I could recommend them for course organization and execution, but not for any fun diving. Their Live Aboards and longer day trips might be good, but I decided to use another company as I didn’t want to risk it, and preferred to try a smaller, more personal operation.

A word in general about Khao Lak Diving: The place has a good reputation, but it is totally unfounded. There are several problems, the main ones being:

1. The Tsunami, Dynamite Fishing, and an increase in sea temps have destroyed most of the dive sites. Most of the coral is dead, and the marine life is depleted.
2. The dive sites are a long boat ride from shore; this makes it expensive, and time consuming.
3. The dive site are all very crowded.
4. The town is favoured by German retirees, there is very little to interest anyone who doesn’t fall into this category, and consequently, all the restaurant prices are inflated to take advantage of the prevailing demographic.

I dived at Bangsak Wreck, Koh Bon, & Richelieu Rock. I have described Bangsak above. Koh Bon was a waste of time & money. The main draw is Manta Rays, but if you don’t see one, then there really is nothing else. Richelieu was better, and you could see how it wowed Cousteau 40 years ago, but now it is overcrowded, and not that much better than other sites I’ve been to. Plus, again it is a trek to get there.

I didn’t even dive the Similans, as everybody said they were worse than the ones I’d been to. We upped sticks and moved down south.

Visited January 2013