“Naan, lassi, paneer heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Big Bite - CLOSED

Big Bite
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Nairobi, Kenya
“Naan, lassi, paneer heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Tired, starving, traveling for months on end and needing a break. This lovely place with lovely people, service, prices and most of all incredible authentic Indian food, was the holiday I needed from my travels.
Nothing but great things to say about this unassuming little beauty. Almost a hole in the wall, which could be easily missed, sporting the uniform coca cola sponsored sign board that homogeneously strips identity from the lovely local shops of the area. Step inside however and the tasteful, attention to detail is hard to miss, right down to the cute little coozy that covers each bottle of water.
To this day I dream of that homemade paneer (cottage cheese), yet I live in Little India. The naan is fantastic and dum aloo sauce was just so incredibly delicious. Went back a few nights ago on a stop in Arusha for work but we pretty much made work there so we could have dinner at this place.
The bathrooms are very clean and a bit of a novelty with funny signs all over the walls. Everything is clean in fact, and service is great, very attentive.
Perhaps I'll pretend work needs to be done again soon.
Thank you Big bite!

• Visited December 2012
Rahoul J, Owner at Big Bite, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you! I am so happy you enjoyed. Thank you and have a wonderful time. See you soon.

Maputo, Mozambique
“Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Conveniently located if your are staying at the simple Crown Hotel, Excellent food, beware that they are closed Tuesdays

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank the3rdParty
Rahoul J, Owner at Big Bite, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank You for the wonderful review. Have a great time and we look forward to seeing the next time. Asante Sana.
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Great Indian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had one night in Arusha after a safari and had the good fortune to find this in a guide. One of the best meals we had on our trip and certainly better than many Indian restaurants in the UK. Friendly service, good value for money and great food.

• Visited September 2012
Cortlandt Manor, New York
“Best Indian Anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went to Big Bite when we got back from Safari. It was our last meal after spending more than 12 days in the country. Big Bite was not only the most memorable meal from our trip, but also stacks up as one of the best Indian food experiences ever! Completely authentic food, and the owners were wonderful. There were 11 of us traveling. Whenever we reminisce about the trip, there's three things that stick out: the hike up Kilimanjaro, the safari, and that awesome Indian restaurant!

• Visited January 2012
Atlanta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place in Arusha”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

First off, I want to say that the two and even three star reviews for Big Bite are nothing short of bizarre, in my humble opinion (especially the commentaries on those reviews, which don't coincide with my experience in any way, shape or form). But to each his own, I guess...

I was traveling through East and Central Africa this summer (June/July 2012) and accidentally found myself in Arusha for 4.5 days due to some poor planning of a flight from JRO to Kigali. However, I couldn't have been happier to have made such a mistake on my trip for one reason: Bigg Bites. I was fortunate enough to have found this place my first full day in Arusha after getting on my iPhone and Googling "things to do in Arusha", and I ended up eating every single lunch and dinner at Bigg Bites during my stay in Arusha... eight total meals, something different each time, and each meal was spectacular.

Every aspect of this restaurant was first class, top notch. I am somewhat of a food junkie and I absolutely love flavorful ethnic foods of all varieties. Big Bite has a nice menu that is easy to navigate with more than enough options for both meat lovers and vegans, but it is definitely not overwhelming. My personal favorites were the Kadai Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala and the Chilly Paneer, but everything I ate was outstanding. The sauces were bursting with flavor, the meats had a wonderful smokey taste and the rice was perfect. Portions are great, I never left hungry (and I eat a lot), and it was very reasonably priced for the quality.

The building was small and simple, but this just added to its character. Don't expect some large, fancy restaurant. However, places like Big Bite are what I prefer. They let their food and service do the talking and don't have to hide behind a facade of fancy dining rooms and gaudy decor. They will even open early, stay late, and cater their meals to individuals with allergies or other personal preferences.

I also must mention the owner in this review. He is a young man who has returned to Arusha to keep the family restaurant open after his father passed away. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and he truly knows the meaning of customer service. He is friendly but not overbearing, very easy to talk to, kind to everyone he comes in contact with from paying customers to touts on the street. He made my stay in Arusha very enjoyable because he was so full of information about the city and things to do and see. He told me places to go, how to get to the airport, where to get the best money exchange, etc, etc, etc... and he even personally delivered my food to the hotel I was staying each night when I was too tired to go out and just wanted to stay in the hotel and relax.

I couldn't possibly give a higher recommendation for Big Bite. Anyone spending any time in Arusha should do themselves a favor and stop here for a meal. You won't leave disappointed!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Spencer C
Rahoul J, Owner at Big Bite, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank You My Friend. Thank you! Your reveiw has really made my time here more fruitful. Thank You. Please do keep in touch. Cheers Rahoul