“Africa Joy Tours - A Joyful Experience!”

Africa Joy Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #203 of 489 Tours in Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Africa Joy Tours and Safaris is a Tanzanian local tour company based in Arusha Tanzania and specialist in private day tours and maasai culture day tours. We can arrange day tours ever day and can accommodate any group size.
Reviewed November 15, 2016

We were on a 14 day safari on the Northern Circuit in Tanzania. The places we stayed varied from tent camps to very nice lodges. All were great - comfortable, a bit rustic in places, but you would expect that out in the Serengeti. The drivers were knowledgeable and enthusiastic about sharing their country with us. Enjoyed the vehicles - Land Rovers with pop-up tops and everyone had a window seat. Clinton was there when we started out, and was there to greet us at the end. We had a wonderful time.

2  Thank SewCalKrafter
"animals"
in 7 reviews
"answer"

Reviewed October 12, 2016

We contacted CLinton 3 weeks in advance to organise us a Kilimanjaro climb and a 7day-safari. He listened very well to everything we wanted and really made us a great deal. We were 3 friends travelling together, and he arranged very fun and smart guides for us. Also the cooks were very very good: we ate the best food. His communication was very clear (sometimes it seemed there was some miscommunication, but it always turned out we had to be a bit more pole pole - african time style :-)). We didn't expected it to, but the first night, he took us out for drinks and food, which made us feel very welcome! We can really recommend him.
Also, Clinton used to be a porter himself on the kilimanjaro mountain, and a guide as well - so he knows what he is doing. And he knows the people he works with!

2  Thank Nele V
Reviewed October 10, 2016

Africa Joy tours arranged us a 14-day safari strictly with our requirement, drivers as well as the guide both in Kenya section and Tanzania section give us introduction with many animals and supply good service.

2  Thank 743yingl
Reviewed September 22, 2016

I chose this company for 2 main reasons. In one hand because is a local company so I always prefer support local companies than major ones and in the other hand because of the good reviews and price offer. I don't consider myself too demanding but the way of doing things from this people really made me sad, not even angry. They take advantage of people like me and others. We visit those stunning places and try to help with our money to local companies there.

So, I will try to be as brief as possible cause I don't wanna bother anybody but it takes a little time to explain everything in a proper way so sorry in advance for the long review.

-. First of all I contacted by mail with the company, I always changed mails with Clinton, supposed to be the owner. I told him since one month prior to arrive that I wanted to visit Tangarire, Lake Myanara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti and that I would like to spend 6 days in total. Clinton always agreed with this. First mistake from my part,almost nobody do 6 days safari(but I knew that too late). Most of the people do 1,2,3 or 5 days trips. So in case you fill a group with your friends etc or in case you are lucky and you find someone to share costs for more days please be aware that it will be very difficult to manage more than 5 days. They knew all this of course but NOBODY EXPLAINS YOU ANYTHING.
-. I arrived in Arusha after a 13.30 h bus trip, payed Clinton and he confirmed once again the 6 days safaris. Once again he never told me anything regarding to the fact that it would be really difficult to fulfil my itinerary. He took the money and repeated the itinerary of 6 days. I didn't receive any receipt, second mistake. So, always ask for the printed itinerary,always. Anyway I had the mails but better to have itinerary in your hand.
-. Next day they take you to a place close to some parks called FANAKA CAMP where you have tents, rooms (depending what you paid you sleep here or there). There groups are organized and they head you to the different parks. I (and everybody in fact) never knew what we were heading every morning because the different drivers take people from here and there and they don't explain anything. What is the reality? That those drivers don't belong to the companies most of them. They are freelances, they take the money,do their jobs (sometimes in a rough way) and some of them they don't even know who are the owners of the companies. So if you have a problem you will have to fight a lot because nobody want to face the problems created for others as it was my case. They don't belong to companies so they don't response for their mistakes. What was my case? My driver was a freelance that at the same time was working for other company so it wasn't even working for Africa Joy tour safaris. What is the point here?companies changes clients between them to fill the groups and take advantage of that but once again, NOBODY EXPLAINS YOU ANYTHING. I was transferred to a different company but they did t tell me.
-. So, what means also those guys are freelance? It means most of them push people to pay them high tips, sometimes in a very rough way. I saw many argues in a really bad atmosphere with different clients(not me) because they didn't want to pay more tips after many days of safari where they had to pay a lot. That was another mistake from me, I payed tips until I decided not do it. So, don't pay tips if you don't feel comfortable, do it if you want but don't feel pushed to do it, you don't have to do it. Take that in mind because they will try to push you as much as possible and once again NOBODY EXPLAINS YOU ANYTHING about what the policy is and what to do in case that happens.
-. Finally when I was in Serengeti the freelance driver told me that he was really sorry but his plan was only 1 night in Serengeti and not 2 and he had to come back, something that really I didn't expected because I had confirmed many times (and payed of course) the itinerary. Finally we got to talk to a guy (Jeff) from the other company and he told me that I had to go to Arusha national park. I rejected because that wasn't what I arranged at all so he told me he would refund me one day and we agreed that. "I will be today at 18 at your hotel to refund you" he told me...I am still waiting him...I phoned him many times with my phone at 19, 20 and 20.45 (who is gonna pay that?...)the guy always told me he was on his way but never showed up.

About Clinton... no way to locate him, I called him and texted him many times but nothing...the only thing I got it was a text saying "I am sorry for what happened" the next day. I never saw him again despite of I tried several times to talk to him or meet him. This gives an idea of how things are done in this company and by this person.

-. It is supposed I had to leave Arusha that day but of course I wasn't able to do it so I lost one day more of my trip until finally a guy for the company I was transferred showed up in the hotel the next day at 13.00 and told me that he wasn't able to refund me 100% and that he could only pay me 100$. I finally agreed trying to understand a little bit those guys and trying to be comprehensive so the guy went to the bank and came back only with 90$ that I had to accept... That or nothing...¿¿??...hilarious

So in summary I lost days of my trip , I lost money (money from the phone calls and the money those guys stole me), I lost energy, I lost time trying to solve problems I didn't create and unfortunately I lost my trust in those kind of local companies,at least in this part of Tanzania.

So in summary:

1. Look for another company. Don't trust this one at all. It doesn't mean that this mess happen all time and they will do their job properly many times but other times they don't so it can perfectly happen to you again.

2. If you finally decide to go with Africa Joy tour(something I wouldn't recommend at all) review itinerary all times you consider necessary. Ask many times you think necessary whatever you think it is important and ask for a clear receipt and a clear printed itinerary.

3. Confirm once you are in Faneka place that you are travelling with the company you made the arrangement. If not ask for explanations and ask for the supervisor you would have to talk to in case you have a problems.

4. Don't feel pushed to pay tips. Do it only if you feel ok with it.

5. And of course and above all those boring things I explained here don't even doubt about visiting these amazing places, there is almost nothing as beautiful as Ngorongoro, Serengeti or any of the parks there, full of life, joy, nature, colour and beauty. Just look for a nice and reliable company that make things properly. Definitely not his one of course.

5  Thank Fer R