“Good start of an amazing honeymoon”

Arusha Coffee Lodge
Ranked #1 of 184 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start if a great honeymoon organized through andBeyond. Arrived in the middle of the night, around 3am, and the staff was very friendly settling us in. Unfortunately it rained all day the next day, but we just stayed cozy in the spacious cottage and only got out to go to the beautiful dining room. Had a nice surprise gift delivered as well.
Food was very good at the main restaurant, while the casual restaurant was just OK. High prices for wine. The only complaint was that my husband got food poisoning from his breakfast on our second morning, which knocked him out for the first day of our safari. But we came prepared, and I guess that's par for the course in Africa.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ElewanaCollection, Owner at Arusha Coffee Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear LLBUCOFAN

May I thank you for your kind review and pass on my belated congratulations to you on your recent wedding and honeymoon. We are very pleased that you chose the Elewana Collection and more specifically Arusha Coffee Lodge to begin your very special holiday.

I was concerned to hear that your husband fell ill whilst staying with us, and more worryingly that you have attributed this illness to our breakfast. I am relieved to say that we have checked our records, and can say with some assurety that we have had no other reports of illnesses from guests staying with us during August or infact for any illnesses that can be attributed to our food and beverage in the recent past. I would therefore appreciate it very much if you could contact me directly so that I can look into this unfortunate incident but also to check that your husband is now perfectly recovered.

'Tummy bugs' can be common but not necessarily always attributable to food that has just been consumed. Sometimes illnesses can arise from air-borne bacteria on aircraft, airline food and drinks and/or foods ingested during transit, with symptoms only coming to the surface between 12 and 24 hours after ingestion.

Another cause can be that guests are often taking prescription medication - for example often anti-malarials - with reactions occuring simultaneously with eating foods thereby creating the illusion of food poisoning. The combination of tiredness, anti-malarials and a different altitude and change of climate can sometimes cause upset stomachs. It is fortunately rare but can sometimes happen.

Of course, and on hearing more detail from yourselves, we will investigate your case thoroughly. However we are exceptionally confident that our kitchens, run by our Executive Chef and his team, are unlikely to be the root cause due to their high levels of health and safety standards.

We will therefore do our best to track whether or not we have had any similar reports from guests, and whether guests travelling in to Arusha via the same airline as yourselves may have experienced similar issues. In order to do this I would very much like to get more details of your stay.

In conclusion may I thank you again for your review and I look forward very much to hearing from you regarding this matter.

With sincerest regards

Jason Barry
Group Director - Elewana Collection
jason.barry@elewana.com

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I understand that this is a great location for safari travelers but why spend $500 a night for a comparable $100 hotel. While the suites are nice and the grounds are well manicured, the service is horrible! I travel a lot working in the Hospitality Industry and my experience has been that most properties value the additional revenue from bar tabs and extras. Not this place. Staff seems to ignore you. During our lunch we were seated and told to help ourselves to the buffet. We would have liked to order a bottle of wine with lunch and water but not a server in site for the 30 minutes we sat there. We decide to just eat and leave. Of the two occasions we had breakfast the same thing occurred at one of the two sittings. We tried the Bar/Lounge for dinner and I will admit they were very attentive which was greatly appreciated. The service provided by housekeeping was not much better (no wash clothes or water in the room at check in). In fact we had to request water three times during our stay because you cannot use the water from the tap to brush your teeth or drink. Under these circumstances adequate water should always be available!! Perhaps they like running back and forth for the tips.

Scott Wallum November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott W

Dear Scott W from Arizona.

May I firstly thank you for your review. It has been received with great concern, as our customer service ethic is central to both the Lodge and to the rest of the Elewana Collection's core values.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to learn more regarding the specifics of your stay and would therefore ask if you could contact me directly to discuss this further.

As you will see from our recent commentaries, our location, accommodations and friendly and attentive staff are usually highlighted by our guests as most satisafctory. However something has obviously been remiss in your case and for that I am deeply sorry.

I look forward to discovering the reasoning why your experience seems to have been so different frfrom both our experience and your expectations.

With best regards

Mr. Jason Barry
Director of Marketing and Communications
jason.barry@elewana.com

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We only stayed one night. Great place, super nice little bungalows in lovely grounds, nice swimming pool and a great gift shop too! We enjoyed excellent dinner and breakfast! Loved the proximity to the airport!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here for a night after our Kili trek, prior to three days' safari. It was the perfect place to relax - comfortable accommodations, gracious staff, lovely setting, and a great breakfast. Of course, anything would have been comfortable after nine days in a tent, but this was the perfect choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife Yve and I and our two best pals stayed two nights / 3 days at the Arusha Coffee Lodge on our way to Serengeti Bush Tops. This was after a long pair of flights from Heathrow to Nairobi then on to Kilimanjaro and a car journey to Arusha. Our stay at the Coffee Lodge was excellent, the accommodation, food, drink and service was 5* and always with a smile. Great place to wind down before moving on to the Serengeti at Kogatende.

Can highly recommend the Arusha Coffee Lodge.

Room Tip: They are all semi detached chalets and very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful gem. Staff is amazing, accommodations very comfortable, food and drink very reasonably priced ( actually preferred the bistro).
I know most come just to start their safari, but you are missing so much by not spending one or two additional nights here.
If you do decide take a half day tour to Mt. Kilimanjaro you won't regret it. Another half day tour that can be arranged from here is a shopping tour make sure it includes the Arusha Cultural Centre. This place has some wonderful art, handicrafts, and some gorgeous antiques.
Make it a point to come a few days early, relax at this beautiful property and see some amazing sights other than just your safari you'll be glad you did!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tacjam
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the beginning of a safari. This place is simply beautiful. Each lodge is a little house with 2 separate suites in it. The set up may have been different in other lodges, but that's how our suite was. I felt like Karen Blixen - walking out the front door to the little coffee plants! The suite is actually one big room, but it's divided by a couple of steps and a large decorative glass pane with coffee beans in it, so there is a living room area and a bedroom area. The bathroom - oh, I dream of a bathroom like this - stand-alone bathtub, glass shower, separate toilet space, and floor to ceiling frosted glass window (clear at the top) looking onto the enclosed patio.
We had a simple dinner and breakfast at the start of our safari, and they were both good. On the return, we had a buffet lunch outside, and everything was absolutely delicious.
There is a small swimming pool and a couple of shops in the back. You can take a tour of the coffee plantation, but we didn't.
All of the staff were great. Everything went smoothly.
If I'm ever in Arusha again, I'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends