Arusha Coffee Lodge
$271
$53
$50
Agoda.com
All reviewscoffee plantationcoffee toursky safariice coffeeplantation suiteone nightbuffet lunchdisabled peoplecoffee bushesfirst nightlong flightkilimanjaro airportbeautiful propertysitting arealarge bathroombeautiful roomclose to the airport
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We spent one night on our way to safari at this lodge, and I so wished we'd had a longer stay. We were welcomed with cold towels and a yummy coffee drink on our arrival. Maike, one of the two managers, made sure our check in was smoothly handled.

We were quickly shown to our suites. These were quite far from the main area, but Maike asked us if my father would like to be in a suite closer to the main area, and we decided it was easier for him to be near the rest of us - that is a good example of the attention to detail and sensitivity towards the guests that we found throughout our stay.

We were blown away by the suites - they are spacious, and beautifully laid out. The chandelier in the seating area adds extra glamour to the plush, comfortable suite. My favourite parts were the bathroom and the little enclosed outside veranda. The bathroom is huge, with a big freestanding bathtub, and a large shower area. The lighting in the bathroom was excellent. The only slight niggles were: due to the placement of the taps in the long double sink (the bottom part of which is made of glass with coffee beans!), the gap between the tap and the basin was very small. Also, I would prefer the toilet area to be closed off, as opposed to glass walled.

The food was really very good. It's very rich, so be warned! There could be more variety for vegetarians, but I think the staff would be accommodating, if you asked for alternatives to the menu. The only part of the stay which was slightly frustrating was the rather slow service. This was clear at dinner, when we waited quite a long time between courses. We had also had a late lunch outside the bar, and the food took a long time to appear there as well. This really is not from a lack of willingness on behalf of the staff, though.

Maike and Alan made sure that we were looked after during our stay, and as time goes by, I think this lodge will soon become the best place to stay in Arusha. It has all the ingredients already: lovely location, excellent managers, helpful staff and beautiful rooms. I can't recommend it highly enough, and I would return tomorrow, if I could. Except this time, I would make sure that I spent at least 3 nights there!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MsFancy101
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Many people are booked into this pleasant hotel before setting off on Safari. It is a 5 minute drive from Arusha Airport and used by many travel companies. The accommodation is set in the grounds of the coffee plantation and consist of rounded thatched lodges. They are cosy with balconies, good en-suite facilities and a log fire for the cooler nights. Food was good and service excellent. The owner/manager was extremely accommodating and allowed me to use their PC as I lost my internet connection via my phone.
I would suggest that if your on going journey is not too far and you have arrived in Tanzania at a civilised hour you could easily give this extra night a miss. It is really just to recharge your batteries after a long flight but it will come at the cost of losing a night/day on safari.

Room Tip: As a stopover there is no preference. They are all close to the restaurant and reception.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shamwari
Reviewed September 30, 2012

my husband & I stayed at this property for 1 quick night with another couple while on safari in August of 2012. Overall, it was a great quick stay for us coming from safari in Tanzania and continuing down to South Africa.

The property was beautiful - lush grounds, beautiful gardens/coffee trees and pool area, etc. The staff were friendly and helpful, but most important were the rooms, which were lovely (especially the bathroom) - very modern and cleanly.

We had dinner at the restaurant that night and the food was great with a wonderful wine selection. Our pre-dinner coffee & cocktails were also great.

Overall we loved our staff here and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank colleen2227
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed for one night after a long flight from London via Dar. Close to the airport and a little too close to the road for our liking. The bungalows are lovely - very spacious and clean with everything you could need. Grounds beautiful. Lunch was a bit hit and miss - the service is not top notch but it doesn't really seem to matter. Pool was dirty though - only real negative. Dinner in the evening very good but not cheap. Great night's sleep and beautiful breakfast the next morning.

All in all i would recommend but a one night stop was enough.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bearsontour_10
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here the first night of our safari honeymoon. The grounds are well kept and the room/bungalow was beautiful! Good food and coffee of course and a very nice and helpful staff. Even bought my husband hairgell, he forgot his at home! Overall very very recommendable!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple