“No value for money - poor hotel”
Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Nairobi, Kenya
“No value for money - poor hotel”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Night shift staff at the reception not friendly or welcoming, I was also made to wait more than one hour for dinner and then served with over salted food at their Chinese restaurant and when I complained the answer was simple "we had other guests taking dinner hence got busy" I stayed in room 426..having a phobia of bugs and dudu s ..yes i found some crawling insects in my bathroom ..dont buy their WIFI story as it is set too weak so can never be accessed..Cyber cafe staff at night have a dont care attitude.. Since I was staying alone the overall stay was frustrating and when asked on their cancellation policy as usual they cant refund your money..why set such high standards on cancellation ??? when you can not provide a comfortable stay ...All they want is your money beyond that they dont really care to provide any service...My first stay in Arusha was awful and extremely terrible to a point that i wasnt even feeling safe in the hotel anymore.well for me this hotel had minimum to offer and only created negative memories... Despite all the negativity i still give credit to the Manager Mr.Felix who helped me with a laptop to use on one of the night ...and one of the front office ladies in the day shift who tried her best to make me feel welcome and served, She was indeed the only person in the entire hotel with a smile and the right attitude to handle a client.unfortunately i dont have her name but she surely stands out.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here at all
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Travelled in 2012. We loved it. Very convenient for those travelling by Impala shuttle from/to Nairobi. Nice views especially from top floors. Ideal for families as has a baby pool. Courteous staff, clean but ala carte meals small portions for heavy feeders.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our safari guide brought us here after we rejected gross rooms at a hotel nearby. Stayed 2 nights, once before and after safari. Rooms were cramped, but reasonably clean. Hardest mattresses in 3 weeks in Tanzania. Strong wifi signal in lobby and breakfast area. Breakfast buffet had variety but not tasty. Decent pasta and pizzas at Italian restaurant. I would look elsewhere before staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank erika363

Travelers are raving about these Arusha hotels

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

With a group of friends I stayed across a number of days using the hotel as a base to travel to climb Kili and go on Safari.
The overall visit was very disappointing. The staff were generally unfriendly not understanding any concept of customer service. The food was a very poor standard. Our room had no safe available to use which meant we had to leave valuables at reception. Furthermore when we ventured out of the hotel using a taxi the hotel organised it turned out to be a private car whose driver tried adding 50% to the agreed fee. On checking out we had to argue our case to use a credit card after the receptionist had tried lying to us that the banks system was down.
The only positives I could find was we had a clean room, an efficient laundry service and the cleaners who were the friendliest people who worked there. This hotel was the only downside to a fantastic trip.
I would advise to avoid.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stewart R
Geneva, IL
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed here for two nights and this was our least favorite lodging on our recent trip. The hotel had no character. It was big and sprawling with dimly lit corridors that went off in all sorts of odd directions. Staff was not particularly friendly or attentive. Service in the restaurants was glacial and the food was mediocre at best. Our room was OK but no hot water on the second morning. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
East Northport, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Went there for about a week in the summer of 2012 as part of a study abroad program. Simple rooms but very comfortable as long as you're not expecting 5-stars. I really enjoyed practicing my Swahili with the staff and they were very accommodating and friendly. Absolutely loved the Indian restaurant and their Chinese was surprisingly good too! Haha. I really loved the openness of the hotel and the beauty of the courtyards and statues. I would love to visit again!

Room Tip: I had a room on the side of the hotel where the pool is located - I'm not sure what the other ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ahmedabad, INDIA
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I am a tour leader and reached Arusha for FAM trip a few days before the group arrives for onward safari. Had a pleasant stay. Decent rooms. Proximity is an advantage and the bar and restaurants - particularly the mezzanine floor in nicely placed for breakfast and is a good beginning to a wonderful day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business