“Pleasant but pricey for Arusha”
Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I ended up here when my shuttle ran very late. My room was very nice, plenty of hot water and working wi-fi access. It was expensive for the area.
The dinner buffet was awful (I was the only diner, although the hotel was very busy). The other restaurants were better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 days before our Kili trek and it was in room 200A. It is big and the bathroom is average if that. First night no running hot water and the room was pretty noisy but after travelling in Africa for 20 odd years it was what we expected. The second stay was in a totally different room and can only be described as a lot better than the first stay. Some tiles loose and seemed a little tired but very quiet and after being in a tent for 7 days it was like being at the Ritz! The last stay was to use a day room where they had given us the wrong key and walked in on someone in their room!
It is Africa it is an average hotel but my guess is most of us are in transit to elsewhere and at most spend a couple of nights here on our trip. I would not holiday here but for a couple of nights it is not bad and a lot better than a tent on the side of Kili!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I'm not convinced that this unplanned stop over was good value for money. I decided to get the Impala shuttle from Nairobi because of the airport fire to get a flight back to the UK from Kilimanjaro. I decided to stay here because the shuttle stops here. The amount the room cost was so expensive and for the money I would have expected a lot for it, which it just didn't. I didn't have any problems with service and everyone appeared to be pleasant and efficient. I had a good meal at the Indian restaurant which I think is the highlight at the hotel. I think the rooms are a little unclean around the edges and need some attention however the cleaner was very friendly and has a hard job keeping up with a hotel that needs updating. The room was spacious and I think one of the better in the hotel. Location is good and not too far from everything you would want. Overall it is fine for a brief stay but terrible value for money which might be better value as part of a tour group or package deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This last minute stay, arranged by our safari company, occured after I needed to return to Arusha early due to an accident that resulted in a foot needing to be x-rayed. When we arrived, the porters were very warm and welcoming, but when my husband went to check-in the front desk staff was very surly. It was obvious I couldn't walk, but the staff put me in a room that was down two long halls and up about 6 stairs. When I couldn't climb the stairs the porter actually hoisted me on his back. With my foot injured I had to stay mostly in the room. The other request we made was to have reliable wi-fi as my injured foot was requiring me to fly home early. The wi-fi did not work in the room which required me to painfully make my way to the lobby.

The room was tidy but the furnishings were quite tired a worn out. The pool looked nice and we did manage to catch an average meal in the Italian restaurant that looked over the pool. On the plus side, the beer was very, very cold which really hit the spot after almost 2 weeks on the safari circuit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Although this hotel is not new and some areas of the hotel have not been renovated, it is a friendly comfortable place to stay. The rooms are clean and the bed comfortable with no holes in the mosquito nets either. The air conditioners work well although the free wi-fi is not very reliable and hard to access from some rooms in the hotel. If you have reservations made by your safari company, check-in and check-out is efficient. Three restaurants are available (in addition to the morning buffet in another area) and the Indian cuisine is outstanding in that restaurant.

Room Tip: Try to have a room that is accessible by the elevator and no stairs if you don't want to have to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel has high occupancy only because safari companies use it as part of a package and people usually only stay one night before or after their safari. If you have a choice of where to stay, don't stay here - go to Mount Meru or Arusha Hotel. Save your stomach from ulcers and your spirit and wallet from being robbed.

My travel companion and I spent two painful weeks at this hotel during his consulting stint in Arusha. We switched rooms 5 times trying to find the wifi (which only worked one day for a few hours), have a safe in our room, have a shower that sprayed into the tub rather than the floor, have a fridge that worked, and endlessly asking the restaurant and bar to charge us only for things we actually ordered/consumed.

Although for most meals we were overcharged, one lunch I had to raise my voice to the waiter demanding for the third time to be given an actual bill rather than just being repeatedly told that I owed him $10, which obviously he was about to pocket.

The night I was reading at the bar until close, through the side of my eye, I caught the head bartender reach into the cash drawer, grab a wad of money and shove it into his pocket - it didn't even occur to him to wait until I was gone to steal.

Each room we moved to was promised to have working wifi but never did. So the tech manager told me to go down to the business center to use the internet there - but that I would have to pay for it in there - I think he said $6 an hour.

We ordered room service only once. I knew there was an approximate $3 service charge. Upon receiving the 4 samosas, I handed the delivery man the food cost, service charge and another $2 tip itemizing for him what the money was for. He folded it up, but it behind his back, and reached out his other hand asking again to be paid for the service charge. When I shamed him for his insolence, he snubbed me and walked out of the room without even closing the door.

The final straw was when I went down to the completely empty restaurant one day at 11am. Before taking a seat, I walked up to the waitress and asked for a coffee and the menu. I happened to look at the time as I then sat down to read an article on anti-poaching. Twelve minutes later, I got up again and asked for the coffee and a menu. It still took the empty restaurant another 6 minutes to get me a coffee, but only after I asked them if I should get it myself.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We slept there before we started our 6 day tour with Bobby Tours. The staff were very helpfull and we realy felt at home from the beginning. The rooms are spacious , neat and the water was always warm for our showers in the evening and the following morning. We had a very nice dinner at the Chinese Restourant on the premises and the breakfast the following morning was good. I feel we received what we paid for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple