“unable to confirm reservation”
Review of New Safari Hotel

New Safari Hotel
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Let me start of by saying i didn't even make it to the hotel due to their lack of customer service. I made reservations online over a month ago. I recently emailed the hotel twice to inquire about my reservation. i received absolutely no response. I called twice only to speak to workers who sounded like they were sleeping. After both times call they promised to respond to my email which never occurred.

That initial experience didn't allow me to continue with my reservations.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank worldtraveler193

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night before heading to the safari. Its a clean, friendly and comfortable hotel. Don't expect any wonders here but its reasonably priced and perfect for transit purposes. It has free wi-fi which is an added advantage for many people. The Precision Air shuttle stops right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Saafari
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Was in Arusha on a business trip. Hotel is very centrally located, next to the Precison Air office, and for those coming in by flight into Mt. Kilimanjaro Airport, there is a shuttle operated by Precision Air that brings you to the hotel in Arusha for T Sh. 10,000/- (which would cost T Sh 60,000/- minimum by taxi). Rooms are big, and clean, I had a big bed with mosquito nets.. Breakfast is tasty, but choice is a bit limited. The staff are friendly and helpful. They offer free Wi-Fi, however, the signal strength is poor in the room, and kept dropping the connection; however, they have a nice business centre in the lobby with enough computers, so it is OK. The manager there was very helpful when I could not get my laptop to connect due to some setup conflict, and managed to resolve my problem quickly. Due to the power problems in Tanzania, the lifts do not work sometimes, so had to climb up and down the steps many times. Also, the hotel is located in the Central Business area, which closes down after dark, the malls and nightlife is a bit far, and best reached by taxi (about T Sh.7000/- to 10,000/-).

Room Tip: There is only one smoking room per floor, so if you require a smoking room, make sure you book in ad...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank bat31
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I chose this hotel as I was returning to Arusha for one very important factor - Precision Airlines runs a shuttle service to the airport which is located 3 doors' down from the hotel. However, I was surprised by the hotel itself: large rooms, full bathroom, windows with mosquito nets, decent breakfast with real butter and white/brown bread, charming staff and the manager Hans Makundi, was help personified. I will not discuss the electricity situation as it is a Tanzanian problem that is beyond anyone's individual management. And yes, whilst it is true that the internet was down when I wanted to use it, I managed to survive hours without logging on!! I was on the 3rd floor but my suitcase was carried up for me as the electricity was out when I arrived and from then onwards, even when there was electricity I used the stairs - good exercise! Another great value for money choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank BaghdadSuzanne
Reviewed December 2, 2010

The rooms were nice, big and clean, but they put us on the 3rd floor and we had to hump it up 3 flights of stairs to get to the room. They had free internet, which was great, but the signal wasn't strong enough to surf on the bed. We had to sit by the door in a chair instead. We were using IPhones so maybe it isn't a problem with other devices.. The breakfast was OK, but they served instant coffee. Tanzania has some of the tastiest coffee I have ever had so I thought that sucked.. They could have dripped some of those lovely beans. The location is great, near the craft markets. The only downside is the SUPER, UBER-aggressive hawkers that harass you when you walk out of the hotel hoping you will buy a trinket. If you talk to them, you have to say "not interested" 25 times and they will still not leave you alone. It works best to just completely ignore them. Yes, that sounds rude, but it is necessary. After safari for 7 days I loved the clean, comfortable room so that makes up for a lot.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This is a very clean hotel in a good area in Arusha, only approx. 150m from the Arusha hotel (the top spot in Arusha which is a frequent starting point for Safaris). The rooms were great and unusually large. The business center is really good, frequently used also by external guests, locals and foreign professionals alike. BUT: Two unpleasent things: We wanted to pay with credit card, but the machine was "broken" - nevertheless, it was insisted we pay cash and advance immediately. The receipt would be prepared "for pickup later", we insisted to receive it immediately, which was grudgingly agreed to. Two days later, when checking out, we were asked to pay again! Coincidence, maybe.
Also, our 1st floor (one up, not the ground floor) was located above the a flat roof (easy to climb). Nothing wrong with that, but on closer inspection, our closed windows were not locked at all, rather, they were arranged in a way that the lock was on the wrong side, appearing not to have a lock in the first place. This was in both rooms we were occupying. Coincidence, maybe.
Other than that, staff was friendly, the restaurant has little choice but was very tasty and good value. All in all, a good value place but one has to be very alert.

One more thing: This is in the quiet "business district", if one wants to go out and seeks nightlife, it's a bit far at night, you'll probably want to take a taxi.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Kibofan
Reviewed November 5, 2009

New Safari Hotel is an very nice hotel located in the very centre of Arusha. A high standard, clean and service-minded staff. The good conference facilities as well as the wireless internet connection are appreciated. If you don't have your own laptop you can use the IT-room in the lobby. An extra value is the fact the hotel is own and run by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT).

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business