We stayed here for one night en-route from the Kenyan border to Lake Manyara/Ngorongoro. I wish we had known where we were headed was only a further 3hrs down the road, as we would rather have kept going and avoided this place.
There are two types of people that appear to use this lodge - people returning from climbing Kili, and people in transit, like us. The people returning from Kili generally like this place a lot better, i suspect because they have been hiking and camping for a week, and are happy to see hot showers, beds and a nice bar. These guests mostly seemed to be in bigger groups as well, which tend to (unintentionally!) crowd out other visitors. Those coming here from other lodges generally seem to be a bit unimpressed, as it doesnt compare to a lot of other similarly priced properties.
Whilst the grounds are very well-kept, everything else is just a bit lacking, and the staff are generally uninterested, some to the point of being a little surly. The rooms were just about adequate, but very dark and quite cold at night. Beds were soft, spongy and not that comfy. The bathrooms did not have a door - all they had was a saloon type door for the WC, which wasnt great! Showers were hot though, and the place was clean with mozzie spray provided.
The food was pretty good, with a half decent lunch selection, and a nice 3 course table d'hote meal in the evening. The bar area was nice, although quite cold, and the fire failed to heat anything because all the doors and windows were open. The wifi was quite bad.
Generally, ok for a necessary stopover, but not a destination lodge!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Moivaro Coffee Plantation Lodge & Estate, the lodge where you will stay in a charming atmosphere and enjoy every comfort you need. Moivaro Lodge is situated right in the heart of beautiful, natural scenery and yet is only 7 km from the town of Arusha: an ideal spot to enjoy the impressive flora and fauna of East Africa. At Moivaro Lodge we will ensure that you are looked after in a unique, friendly and peaceful manner, helping you to prepare for your safaris and cosseting you on your return in the evening. Our spacious thatched brick cottages are set in a lovely tropical garden, with private verandas ensuring every visitor all the privacy needed. Relax and enjoy the beautiful views of Mount Meru from the comfortable veranda, go for a stroll around the Moivaro property, or laze at the pool nestling in the midst of tropical trees and coffee plants. As a daily activity we arrange the Moivaro Village Walk. A unique opportunity to see everyday life in Tanzania and make closer contact with the local people. You can visit a local banana brewery and sample its beer; or hear the story of a local eccentric, and marvel at the tree house he fashioned for himself. A walk is typically 2 hours long and can involve a climb up Oldonyo Maas Hill for those looking for a more demanding experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Moivaro Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moivaro Lodges And Tented Camps
- Moivaro Lodges & Tented Camps Hotel Arusha