“Stunning grounds”

Ranked #13 of 160 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Stunning grounds”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Moivaro as part of a larger group. On arrival, we were warmly greeted with a cooling drink, and swiftly allocated our lodges. These are scattered in the grounds of the hotel, which are beautiful, lush and well-maintained. There is a swimming pool with loungers, and also a fire-pit with comfy chairs which was wonderful to sit by in the evening. The lodges are quite rustic- the beds were made up with white sheets with rose petals scattered on them, which was a smashing touch. Facilities are basic though- there is no hanging space or lock on the toilet door. The shower and sink area are in need of some refurbishment, and on the second morning I had no electricity supply. I also got locked in my lodge- the key would not open the door from inside, and I had to text a friend to come and help me get out! As the chain was also broken, this meant that I had no security whilst sleeping, and as a lone female this was a bit of a concern. The bed was very comfortable, and there was no noise from outside apart from the wonderful sounds of wildlife.The food was excellent, but we all agreed that the staff had difficulty in understanding what we had ordered, as some of us either got the wrong dish or the food did not arrive at all. The location is amazing, but I would not return if visiting the country again in the future. As this was my first visit to Tanzania I do not know if this is comparable to similar types of hotel- I can only comment on my own experience whilst there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nicky C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cape Town
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Moivaro Coffee Plantation is situated just outside of Arusha, about 45 minutes from Kilimanjaro airport. The lodge is set on a working coffee plantation and has a lovely ‘country’ feel, even though it is just minutes from Arusha. The staff members are friendly and the gardens are well-maintained and lush. Although not overly luxurious, the accommodation is clean and neat and extremely comfortable, all within easy access of the pool and main dining room. The food was really great even though the menu was pretty basic, and the service was excellent!

Johnny, our waiter even brought us tea and coffee as we relaxed by the pool on our first afternoon…Each cottage has two adjoining rooms, all linked together with neatly trimmed pathways amidst the lovely garden setting. There was also a super swimming pool, complete with shady umbrellas and loungers, which is exactly what the doctor ordered to recover from our very early morning flight. The breakfast was available from 7am and was an array of yoghurt, fresh fruit and the normal continental fare, as well as offering the makings of a very nice full English type breakfast for those who wanted it. For dinner, we had the option of a set ‘3 course’ menu with various choices for starter, main and dessert.

- Debby Oscroft (Jenman Safaris Marketing Rep)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JenmanSafaris
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel itself is isolated from any external noise, the hiways are quite far, peace and quiet come with the territory. The rooms are basically cottages scattered on a very large tract of land. There is plenty of space between each which is nice for privacy. The rooms are large, clean and well kept. The shower has plenty of hot water, good because hot water is something that is sometimes amiss in Africa.
The lodge is 7km from town so it is difficult to get there except by taxi. Other than lounge near or in the pool and a short easy walking trail around the property there is not much else to do. We wandered around village and climbed a near by hill, much to the dismay of the hotel staff as I do not think they thought they would ever see us again if we left their property. We did not run into one lion or elephant and returned only a little worse for wear.
Meals are quite expensive and they have you as a captive audience so you have to pay the going rate. Dinner was included with our room and was a 4 course meal. I personally do not like these large meals because I cannot possibly eat the volume of food provided and a good amount goes to waste. The food tasted good it is just the volume is too great.
All in all it is a good place to spend a night in transit but I would not go there for a week.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MurTheExplorer
Monceaux sur Dordogne
Reviewed November 16, 2012

After a long overnight flight, arrival before lunch gave us plenty of time to relax & catch up on sleep. Pool & loungers were welcome. Very quiet & comfortable lodge. Above all, the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to help stood out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChezArchi
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Overall, the accommodation is mostly tented camps, the arusha moivaro lodge is their flagship 10/10, their service is terrific, friendly and warm and accommodation is extremely comfortable, food varied and delicious and the team know what you need before you know you need it, fabulous. I was on a 2 week safari staying mostly at tented camps belonging to this group, overall very good but a few were not up to the same standards, especially in cleanliness. This was mostly due to the age of the tents which allowed dirt and many insects in, torn fly wires etc. I would not hesitate to return to the Arusha moivaro lodge, in fact wished I could stay longer

Room Tip: Have a massage at the mt Kilimanjaro moivaro lodge
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank msw2412
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed two nights in early October: the night before we left for the Kili climb and the night upon returning from Kili. I arrived late on the first night, and I thought the room was fine. I had to kill a couple of bugs inside the mosquito netting, but I am not squeamish with bugs. And, you're in Africa, so get used to it. You can't drink the tap water so they give you bottled water. I heard that my neighbor had a sewage smell coming from the bathroom, but I didn't have issues. After the Kili climb, I took a very long hot shower (after not showering for 7 days, you would too), and I used up all my hot water. I am sure the 7 others in my Kili climb group had a share of that hot water. The grounds were very beautiful - bougainvillea and tropical plants blooming everywhere. Some people relaxed by the pool. I relaxed in the bar area in the comfortable verandah seating. We sat by the bonfire at night. I thought it was very pleasant for $105 a night. The reason I didn't give it 4 stars was because it had rained earlier in the day, and my bungalow entrance (inside and out) was infested with a full nest of ants who poured out of the ground. The staff tried to be helpful by spraying the ants, but they just left the dead ants lying there (they looked like a pile of dirt). The food was good and plentiful.

Room Tip: Check immediately if you have a sewage smell coming from the bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

As for most people we used this as a stop over after arriving at Kili airport. We arrived early afternoon which gave us time to relax around the grounds which are lovely, It was a bit too chilly/cloudy to use the pool though.The evening meal was very good and breakfast the following morning was also very good.

The rooms themselves were very comfortable, nets were provided but we didn't see a single mozzie while we were there.

Overall a very nice way to start our holiday in Tanzania.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple