“Hakuna matata or no worries”
Review of Moivaro Lodge

Moivaro Lodge
Ranked #9 of 195 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We really enjoyed staying here in the beginning of September before travelling to the Serengeti. We had a private transfer from Mt Kilimanjaro airport to the lodge which took about an hour through some traffic along the main road from Dar es Salaam. It took around 40 minutes to get from the lodge to Arusha airport. The lodge is down a quiet side road before you enter security gates and see the guard and drive down a driveway. I did notice some local noise such as music playing and a dog barking but this was not overly loud or on-going. The lodge is at the base of a hill and the lodge had a map up of the grounds with information on what you might see and where to go. It looked good but we just didn’t have enough time to enjoy everything there.

We had a nice debrief of the lodge from the happy staff and were given a welcome drink. We asked if we could order food and they were happy to oblige. It did take awhile but we were happy. Dinner and breakfast were included in our nights stay and drinks were excluded. Dinner was 4 courses; we had entrée, soup, main and dessert. Breakfast was amazing with so much flavour and variety; we wish we had time to actually enjoy it. The dining room is very nice and the outdoor dining looks over beautiful gardens. There was a fire pit with chairs around it in front of the cosy bar area. One of the male staff members impromptu sang Jambo Bwana around the fire. It was beautiful. We had a one hour massage each for $30 USD/p in our room as there is no day spa area but I think they should get one. It was very good however I did find it a bit funny moving around so she could stand to one side of the bed and massage me.

There are 40 little cottages dotted all around the property. They were tastefully decorated and well finished. We were given two single bed quilts on two king-size singles joined together. A king sized quilt would have been nice. There was no light near the cupboard and suitcase stand which made things difficult. The bathroom was big and had good sized bath, and there was just enough hot water. There was a brief power outage when we were there. I recommend having your torch out here because I found it hard enough to find the matches let alone light the candle.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed at KIA Lodge, near Kilimanjaro Airport for 1 night. The rooms were pleasant and the food was very good at dinner. Breakfast box was not so great! The reception service was very average, we didn't get our 3.15am wake up call, quite important as we had a flight to catch!
Its closeness to the airport makes it a worthwhile option if you have a very early flight. Otherwise I would find other options in Arusha and Moshi as it was very over priced.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

It's hard for a hotel to compete with the natural beauty that's already such a presence in this part of Tanzania. But when you combine the elegant grounds of the Moivaro with its professional and gracious staff, ample rooms, delicious food and general level of service, it's no surprise that I found myself about as sad to leave the hotel as I was to leave the whole Arumeru area.

Truly, I was impressed with my time at Moivaro. I chose the hotel from a list given me by my Mts. Meru and Kilimanjaro trekking operator, and while I had to pay an extra supplement added to my climbing package to stay there, I soon learned it was well worth it.

Some points that stood out: Lordy, I loved the showers, from the stone floors and drains tucked way up in the corner (I hate stepping on shower drains) to the sheer force of the water pressure, which was a hard thing to find (except at Moivaro) during my Tanzania stay. And while some have noted problems with warm water, I never experienced such, and was in fact amazed at how hot the water could get.

The food also blew me away. Rarely do I eat in hotel restaurants, as I usually find the food overpriced and underwhelming compared to what I can get in "real" local restaurants. But I suspended my rule for Moivaro, not only at the abundant breakfasts--which the hotel pulls off with skill--but even at lunch and dinner, during the latter of which guests can enjoy four well-executed courses blending European culinary techniques with African ingredients and themes, and at a ridiculously good price. If you have a chance to sample the pumpkin soup or Maasai beef stew (or a mango salad, or a chocolate tart), do so.

And don't get me started about how impressive the staff is. They clearly know the finer points of service and never failed to greet me by name and with a smile, asking about my climbs, how I slept the night before, and what I had in store for the day. They can serve as local guides, if you wish, and can help you secure needed items, like a camera left in the car of your climbing group (ahem!), or a cheap cell phone for making calls in the area. And they do laundry better than I can here at home. Let's see: How can I go about outsourcing my laundry to East Africa?

Finally, the accomodations and grounds of the hotel itself. Each sparklingly clean room is a self-contained bungalow with thatched roof, arched whitewashed and wood-beamed ceilings, gorgeous stone floors, and simple but elegant beds and furnishings. You've got your own little front deck with chairs for relaxing, beautiful windows that open wide to let in the breezes, and red-trimmed mosquito nets to keep away the bugs that those breezes may bring in. Landscaping around the windows maintains a sense of privacy, and the only noises I heard at night were the bugs and birds chirping. And those breezes.

Enveloping these huts is a landscape of colorfully accented green that echoes that of nothern Tanzania itself. The hotel has a network of walking trails leading up into the hills that I plied on a couple of occassions, as well as a pleasant pool area, a communal firepit, and a drop-dead view of Mt. Meru that would've been enough to look at on its own. And it wasn't until my last day that I noticed the little play area for children--discretely hidden in its own enclave so as not to disturb the child-free, like me. Much better for us is the bar area, with big comfy chairs, a fireplace, and a staff that makes a delicious dawa.

Was the place perfect? Of course not; nothing is. The hotel computer was unavailable for technical reasons during most of my stay (although had I brought my own, connecting to the Internet from the bar and lounge would've been no problem), and the electricity can go out, as it can everywhere in this part of East Africa. (Come on, people--put your expectations in context!) But the Moivaro has a hardy generator, and during the brief periods of darkness, the staff did their best to make things "atmospheric" with candles and good cheer.

In short, I really dug this joint, and I'd love to find an excuse to come back and spend more time there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank KimontheRoad
moivarolodgescamps, Director of Sales at Moivaro Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Moivaro Lodge and for writing this nice and positive review for the whole world to see. This is very much appreciated and we hope that the next time you are in Arusha, you will choose to stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Juliette Amon.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here before and after our climb up Kili. The food, service and pool are all nice.

The rooms are acceptable but there are some major problems that need to be addressed:

Hot water (which is the ONLY thing you want after coming off the mountain!)
Noisy - a neighbor blasts very loud music every sunday all day
Needs some refreshing, somehow seems a bit down on its heels. Could be nice

The team that works at the lodge are super nice and caring. The tour of the village was a unique experience.

The owners owe the staff some investments to make this place more competitive.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This is a nice hotel with bungalows located in a beautiful garden. Perfect location for beginning a safari. I stayed here with friends after climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro before starting our Safari and it was the perfect way to relax. We stayed here again after the Safari before leaving Tanzania. The staff was very friendly and catered to our needs. The hotel offered 3 hr laundry service which we took advantage of. The hotel also offers massage services which we did not use. The restaurant at the hotel was great. The breakfast buffet had something for everyone from cereal to fresh fruits and eggs to order. The hotel also has a bar which stays open until you are ready for bed. There is free WiFi in the reception, restaurant and bar areas which is always a bonus. I would definitely recommend staying here and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms with the triple beds have larger bathrooms with both a tub and shower. These rooms are muc...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rory R
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a nice hotel with comfortable bungalows located in a beautiful and luxuriant garden.
I would suggest it if you are looking for a quiet place near Arusha or if you need a place to stay before starting your safari in the north parks.
You can also enjoy walking through the nearby villages and plantations.
Service and food are very good, especially the continental breakfast.
Bungalows are big and comfortable and the general atmosphere of the hotel is nice and warm.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2011

After being in Zanzibar for a while, I took a trip towards north Tanzania, I came in this lodge without any expectations. But being there for 3 days, really freshed me up, I had a nice room, with everything I needed and the staff was always helpfull towards me. When the electricity was out for a couple of hours, They turned on the generator for me so I could do some business work. When I come back to the North I will come back for sure to this lovely lodge.

Stayed here in August 2011