“A might vulcano but very tought to climb”
Review of Ol Doinyo Lengai

Ranked #12 of 62 things to do in Arusha
More attraction details
Owner description: The only volcano in the world to emit "cool" (950 degrees Fahrenheit) fluid lava.
Lochristi, Belgium
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A might vulcano but very tought to climb”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a volcano that almost has the perfect cone. We climbed it (at night time) but what is important to know is that it has no switch backs to climb so you need to walk go straight up (40° inclination). You need to be very fit to do this hike. I had to cancel my hike after 4,5 hrs due to an old achilles tendon and hip injury, but If you are very fit it's worth to do this climb.

Visited October 2011

Seattle, Washington
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“The "Mountain of God" kicked my mortal behind, but I loved it.”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This place is really cool, and if you are a serious mountain climber, you will love it. The only reason that I only gave it 4 stars is because the mountain kicked my butt. I attempted to climb the mountain, but I did not summit. My friend did though. My only problems here really stemmed from our safari company, BaseCamp Tanzania, completely not having us prepared for a climb this difficult. Achmed at Basecamp stated in the itinerary that we would start our climb at midnight to avoid the hot sun, and then summit the active volcano at sunrise, enjoy a nice breakfast, and then decent. However, when we met our guide, he was appalled that Basecamp had provided us with only 1 bottle of water when we needed 3, and they had not prepared us any food to eat, and did not give us vital instructions including the need for a solid walking stick, a flashlight, and a dry change of clothes. While I enjoyed almost every minute of climbing the mountain, when we needed food and had none, that was a problem. When we needed water but had run out, that was a big problem, and after hiking for 5 or 6 hours to get to the top, you are drenched in sweat, and it is almost 9,000 feet, so it is bitterly cold, and you are stuck in soaking wet clothes. That sucked big time! We also found out well into our climb that this is actually a mountain climbing experience, not a hiking one. People hike up Kilimanjaro, but they have 3 days to do it, and it is nowhere near as steep as Ol Doinyo Lengai. Achemd also failed to tell us that up to 80% of the people who attempt to climb it do not succeed. When we met up with him afterward, he played it down, but I thought it was completely unprofessional of him to not mention these facts to us beforehand, and also that he completely did not prepare us for what was needed during the hike. Not to mention that this climb comes on the heels of 3 straight days of hiking with the Massai, which had already taken a toll on our bodies, including exhausted muscles and bad blisters, which don't help you to avoid the very large crevaces that you will be trying to avoid as you climb the mountain in pitch darkness. Our actual guide who went on the climb with us was stellar, and I cannot recommend him enough, but Achmed completely failed on the logistics of setting it up, and he was not even the least bit interested in hearing my points that I am reiterating here. I think it is because when I met him, he had some other people with him who were going to climb it in the upcoming days, and he did not want me to scare them out of it. But considering the fact that your safety will be compromised on this climb, I think he owes a duty to his clientele to share these issues with them. He even went so far as to say that we were exaggerating and that our guide, Bura, had only told us that to make us feel better. But if you met Bura, you would know that is not his style to sugarcoat something like this. Bura was genuinely surprised and alarmed that Achmed had left us hanging so bad on the planning details.

Visited December 2011
11 Thank David B
Moshi, Tanzania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not to be missed in TZ”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Lengai means the "mountain of God" in the laguage of Masai people. Situated next to lake Natron, home to tens of thousands flamingos, Gelai mountain and the escarpment of the Great Rift Valley it is indeed a spectacular and ever changing view. If you would like to visit - stay at Lake Natron Camp, which is located at the lake Natron flats next to 120.000 year old hominid footprints, masai villages and waterfalls. You can organize overnight climbs without prior reservation at the camp. It will cost you about 200$ + 25$ per person (for 2 climbers and guide). They will take to on a safer and more interesting route. Make sure you have good shoes to climb - one of my friends lost a toenail on the way back. But he says it was worth it!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank RadaRaduga
Moscow, Russia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The most difficult climbe up and down I've had!
The impressions on the top are comparable to the first jump with the parachute on the 1 course of the university, when in 17 years old for a month I was sure out loud that jumping is better then sex.

Visited January 2012
Tanzania
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“GOD MOUNTAIN!”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

At the Ol Doinyo Lengai is very dry place but very humid and so wonderful with scenery. But out of the scenery there are beautiful Water fall which you can't compare with any other one around the dry place like that! Beautiful Flamingo color at the Lake Natron!

Visited September 2011