“Exciting Safari in Tanzania” 4 of 5 bubbles

Afro Wilderness DMC
Ranked #86 of 220 Tours in Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are Destination Management Company, "Afro wilderness DMC" one of the exceptional safari companies in Tanzania. Tanzania known for its vastness with an un-paralleled diversity of flora and fauna, topography and very friendly people with remarkable excellent cultural, historical and archaeological ventures. Afro wilderness DMC, offers the best tours and safaris in the heart of Tanzania, Kenya & Rwanda wilderness, kilimanjaro & meru climbing, private packages, cultural tour, budget camping safaris, student safari group, family safari and tailor made safaris for all your tour and travel needs.
Stenungsund, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Exciting Safari in Tanzania”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had a great Safari experience in Tanzania with Afro Wilderness!
The nature in the national parks is wonderful just by itself. Going by car and sleeping in tents is a really cool way to experience the African wilderness. We were a party of four, which was perfect for a 4x4 wheel Land Cruiser. You see a lot of animals and great nature while driving between the parks. All national parks we visited were amazing, but the Serengeti was by far the best.
Our guide, Shiraz, had great knowledge of the African animals and nature. He gave us not only a great experience in Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro, he also gave us new knowledge and interesting stories! He knows all the good locations, and listened to our requests. We saw the BIG FIVE!
The service was really good. We got picked up at Kilimanjaro airport at arrival, and driven back when our stay was over. Everything in between arrival and departure was taken cared of; hotel night before and after the Safari, meals and accommodation during the safari, and great company by the guide and the cook.
We had some problems with change of flight from Kilimanjaro to Dar es-Salaam, but even here the staff of Afro Wilderness helped us out by contacting the airway company.

Advice:
- Don't forget hat/cap, a thin long-sleeved shirt and mosquito repellent. A warm sweater at night is good!
- Sunscreen (bring enough from home, difficult to find on spot!)
- Extra battery and memory card for your camera. You will take a LOT of pictures, and don't want to be without battery or memory space in your camera.
- Make sure that you can take both pictures and videos (if you are two traveling, one takes pictures and one takes video films). You never know when a lion crosses your path.
- Paper and pen to write down names of animals, people and places.
- Binoculars (you see a lot of animals at distance).

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Josefina L

Ankara, Turkey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Had a great safari experience with Afro Wilderness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

The safari experience we had with Mr. Shiraz was by far the most unforgettable thing we did in Tanzania. It has been nearly 6 months passed, but we still talk about this with my wife. My wife calls me "my impala".

First of all our tour guide also the owner of the company, Shiraz has a great knowledge and experience about the animals we have seen. He said he has an eductation about it. Good guy, speaking English very good and positive all the time. The whole safari was very well organized. He took us from our hotel, and at the last day he dropped us to airport.

The places we have stayed was tented camps in the wilderness, and as I understand it is prohibited for the camps to have fences around. So first day we have seen zebras 20m around our tent, second day hyenas eating our garbage 40m away from the tents, third day a group of lions came at night when we were sitting by the camp fire, just 20-30 m away. No guns or rifles in the camp, animals came but don't attack. The camps have electricity from the solar panels only for lighting and charging cell phones. The meals and service was excellent.

What you will see during safari is 50% luck, 50% depending on your guide. I can't forget Shiraz has spotted a cheetah from 150-200 m laying in yellow bushes and eating his prey. There are plenty of zebras, elephants, impalas :), gazelles, giraffes etc. But especially cheetas and leopards are rare.

Shiraz know most of the guys organizing safaris. Another tour guide called Shiraz and said they have found a leopard, and we drove by. We have seen a leopard waiting near his prey surronded by 40 safari jeeps. He was fearful and not behaving naturally. I remember Shiraz has taken us to a nearby tree and said the leopard will come by and take his prey to the top of tree. We have waited there and the leopard came as he said. We have seen the leopard 1m away from our jeep.

I recommend Afro Wilderness, seeing the Massai Village and dancing with them, spending at least 3-4 days seeing around. Arusha was quite cold in June, so we have bought thicker clothing for the safari.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Funky2013
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Trip of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Did a bunch of research before we decided on a tour company but there are way too many options and all of the reputable tour companies that most north americans recommend charge way too much, but for a good reason of course. I came across Afro Wilderness accidentally, really. It was recommended by Songota Falls Lodge, another place you should really look into by the way. They are a newer tour company compared to others, started a few years back. But, their staff have many years of experience working in the tourism industry, so fear not! I couldn't find any ratings or reviews about them, so I was a little apprehensive at first considering that you are literally putting all your money and faith into a company to plan this trip of a lifetime for you. If you are an anxious person like I am and wonders what the risks might be, well, you don't have to fear with Afro. They are absolutely professional and knowledgeable at what they do best. The Manager, Charowkiwa, is a very patient and easy going person. You can work with the company to customize your own itinerary that best suits your needs but they also have standard safari tours as well. They responded to my emails promptly and very helpful with all my questions and concerns. Our tour guide, Shiraz, was a funny and down to earth guy and he speaks English fine. He knows where he is going in the parks and follows the park rules. The one thing you should also really consider is to go with a company where their guides are ethical and will respect the rules and space of the wildlife that lives in it.
Our itinerary took us to Tarangire, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro crater. The most amazing places on earth! It's spectacular to see animals able to wander around freely without any restrictions. Our itinerary also took us to the Maasai village, which was the least of our enjoyment I have to say. Some of the Maasai villages that open for tourists are really in the tourism "business". They put on a show for you in the beginning with traditional welcoming dance and songs. Then take you around the village and a hut to see how the people live. There's a "school" but I'm pretty sure this school only operates in the half hour when the tourists visit. They are not shy to ask you for tips and donations for the show they put on, the hut we visited, the school for the kids. So, my husband and I felt cornered to have to give them a lot of money which made the whole experience very tedious. As my husband say, we don't mind buying things, but we do not like to be sold on them. But, if you don't mind these sorts of things and just want to take a few good photos of the Maasai people, then go ahead! But, be prepared!
If you are wondering the types of accommodations, well fear not, Afro works with the best hotels. We stayed at many wonderful places with excellent service. Depends on your budget, the accommodations may vary. We splurged.
I would recommend this company to anybody who wants to have a trustworthy company to handle their trip in Africa. They can meet your needs and you really have nothing to worry about. They are really professional and your satisfaction is the goal in their services. A trip of a lifetime was what we were looking for, and a trip of a lifetime is what we got.

Visited September 2013