“Very nice and cosy lodge”
Review of Kigongoni Lodge

Kigongoni Lodge
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We came here to start our honey moon as we got married only a few days before.
The service is great, peope are very friendly and the landscape is very nice.
One can sleep in and relax a lot. The is just you and the nature. Great! The owner is very friendly and gives you nice tipps.
We stayed there 3 nights as the rest of the time we did safaris. althoiugh the other hotels/ lodges we stayed were even more expensive, the rooms were not as good as at Kigongoni. The dishes they offer are really nice. If you are looking for some relax then the perfect place to stay is Kigongoni. I recomend it 100% :o)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 17, 2011

stayed here and i was definitely satisfied. staff is super friendly and helpful. great place to acclimate pre kili and even better place to enjoy a hot shower after 7 days on the mountain. definitely recommend and will for back for sure if i am even in arusha again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Located just before entering Arusha, this was a good stopver before beginning the safari. We were in rooms 1 and 2, located down a path and overlooking the forest. Great way for the kids to get used to the idea of being close to animal sounds! Service was great, and as we experienced in other spots, you get a lot of help when tips are involved. No worries, though, as we didn't mind throwing a dollar or two for bag carrying. Restaurant and bar area were comforatble and cozy, food was good . . . not great. Beds were comfortable and netted, and the place had their own generator. Upon check in, we were clearly told when power would be accessble. It worked fine for us. Kigongoni Lodge is located around 9km to the east of the town of Arusha in northern Tanzania. This relatively upmarket lodge is set in in a semi-rural location on top of a small hill and with broad views to the east and south. There is a large security fence surrounding the entire property, and we felt secure. Once past the reception desk, the main bar and restaurant areas lie at the top of the hill, with the pool area beyond, and the rooms are tucked away on the hillsides that slope down from the communal areas.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sejlriceRingoesNJ
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed at Kigongoni Lodge for one night in March 2011. We thought this place was average, and would consider checking out another spot if we travel in the region again.

PROS
- food was good
- rooms were clean and nice
- smooth check in and welcome

CONS
- the one major con was that we were over-charged for our meal at check-out the next morning...and I really felt the over-charge was intentional. After spending some time trying to resolve the error, then we paid, but the lady at the counter didn't give me the $20 change owed to me. I was bothered by the whole checkout process....felt like a money grab.
- dinner service was quite slow

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stewbomber
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We spent one night at this hotel prior to starting our safari. We were on honeymoon and the hotel prvided us with complimentary champagne to mark our honeymoon which I thought was a lovely touch.

The Hotel is situated in lovely grounds which provided peace and quiet during our stay. There were also great views from the balcony of our room.

Our room was lovely with real character. It was very spacious and also very clean. The ensuite was also very big and clean.

We had lunch, dinner and breakfast in the hotel and on each occassion the food was very nice.

There is a swimming pool at the hotel although we didn't use it.

The staff including the Dutch manager were also very friendly and helpful.

I would certainly recommend the hotel for relaxing either prior to or at the end of a safari

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Our tour operator AfricaTravelResources arranged for this lodge. We were extremely pleased with the accommodations.

We found no fault with our lovely #17 cottage. Everything worked fine, the shower, the toilet, etc. The bathroom, by the way, is huge!

The bed was very comfortable, and of course, the temperatures in Arusha are lovely in March, so we had no difficulties sleeping tight that night.

Dinner: we ordered a la carte.. me the grilled steak which was done 'medium rare' as requested, and the grilled vegetables were done just right. My husband ordered a lamb stew, which he greatly enjoyed. Breakfast the next morning was also very good. The service was 'spot on'... the food delivery time was quite reasonable, and the staff was quite attentive.

I would recommend this place either at the beginning of a safari, or at the end. This place is conducive to relaxation and enjoyment.

We met Sanders, the managers, and first, we noticed he engaged in conversation with all the guests, as well as us. He is a very friendly young man.

Overall, do not hesitate to book a a bungalow in this lovely lodge!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank reginafug
Reviewed October 1, 2010

In our planning my brother and I visited this Lodge a year ago and asked to see the Cottages. We found them lovely on viewing. A year later on the 5th September 2010 my husband and I stayed there with my brother for one night. This was the start to our much planned 10 day safari. We were given the family Cottage. From the moment I walked in I was disappointed and looking back should have asked to be moved. There were many things wrong but mostly it was dirty and the main sitting room looked like the furniture had been robbed! A dirty towel remained from the last guest hidden under the basins, toilets did not work correctly or moved dangerously while sat on them and constantly dripped all night. Plugs were missing from sinks and light bulbs didn’t exist in some rooms. The hot water really only served one bathroom. We could not get onto the veranda as the key was missing and no one in reception could find it. On viewing the veranda the next day I could see why, one would have fallen through the decking it was so very dangerous. The service at dinner was so slow we had to go and remind them we hadn’t got our food – they were reading a newspaper! The wine was good however. The same staff were on duty at breakfast so needless to say that was slow. The table linen looked shabby. Monkeys continually stole from the tables (not very hygenic) and the way the staff dealt with this was to feed the left over toast to the monkeys. The porridge was awful.

My brother who lives in Kenya has emailed and written to the Management about our stay and to date no reply. My advice is to anyone thinking of staying that it is very a nice setting don't be fooled by the web page but I wouldn’t waste my money staying there again. It seems there is a management problem. I will also be letting our tour company know that this lodge should be down graded or even better removed from their listings. Maybe we hit on a bad cottage and a shortage of staff but the no response from management to our complaint has now prompted me to post this review.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple