“Top class hotel”
Review of Mount Meru Hotel

Mount Meru Hotel
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Apart from the usual niceties and comforts one would expect from a US$150 per night hotel such as this, the staff really make this hotel special. From the reception staff who greeted us with warm kiSwahili welcomes and the cleaning staff who supplied more than enough goodies in the rooms, to the concierge who waved us goodbye at a still dark 6am when we left for our safari. I will be back again and I will recommend Mount Meru for any conference - bravo Mt Meru!

Room Tip: Choose the side facing the golf course and not the main road - it can be very noisy at 6am every day...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth S
There are newer reviews for Mount Meru Hotel

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was here in November 2012 my wife was Graduating from ESAMI and I booked online with days to the event and I was impressed by their quick response. Upon my arrival, I was immediately wowed by the look of the lobby. Its modern and really swanky. The front desk staff were fantastic, showed me to my room and I immediately took a nap. The room was spacious and had a great view of the golf course. The golf course doesn't look great and this sort of dampens the view from the room.
The bathroom was fantastic and the water pressure was good. One problem in the shower was the water kept spilling to the floor however careful one is.
The lunch buffet was great and the bar was fantastic. wifi is free in the room. but in the restaurant I found it rather slow and opted for the 3G network as I had acquired a local line.
The restaurant staff were helpful and friendly and the food was great. I totally loved this hotel and cant wait to return.
I never visited the fitness centre despite carrying my bag for the trip.

Room Tip: When arranging the trip back to the airport. be sure to tell the driver whether its Arusha airport...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night during my Tanzania trip on business. My costs were covered by my company, so this review does not concern cost-related matters.

The first thing that striked me was the grandieur of this hotel - I loved how it looked from the outside and also the decor of the lobby. The second thing was the reception. As we were travelling as a group of high-level officials and were returning from saferi, we were a rather tired and tense crowd, but they were quite friendly and tried to help us with all demands.

I definitely loved the room, although it was too cold even for African standards. The bed was really comfortable and closet space quite sufficient.

I had the chance to try the restaurant of this hotel and found it to be very diverse in terms of the menu. Our group tried a number of different meals - mine was pizza - and everyone was quite happy. For the not-so-hungry, I would recommend sharing one pizza with a friend, as it is really too much for one person. The breakfast was also quite nice, as it catered for all needs, including my Turkish habits, with varieties of fresh vegetables, fruits and cheese.

Although I could see it only at night, the outside area was also very nice for a smoke and a beer after dinner. It's well decorated and served.

For jewelry-lovers who cannot find the time - or the convenient seller - to buy their tanzanites, there is a small jeweller's in the hotel, which I found not to be too expensive for a hotel jeweller's. There is also a bookstore which we ransacked for our souvenir needs.

All in all, I would have loved to have a few more days to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gökçe K
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I found the Mount Meru Hotel staff to be very friendly and the hotel itself was very nice. When you enter through the security gates you feel like you are in a different world (almost) to what is just outside the gates. It's much like a resort/hotel you would find in more developed countries. The food was pretty good, rooms very clean, grounds well maintained and the facilities were also good. There were several restaurants to choose from all with different food options. The gym needs updating and there was no treadmill. Only elliptical machines and bikes as well as weights and a weight machine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I visited this hotel from 29 - 31 March 2013 with some friends. The location of the hotel is quite good just on the suburbs of Arusha town. The hotel is quite modernised having been re-opened in late 2010 after a 5-year renovation programme and has spectacular views of Mount Meru with lush gardens and golf course. Coincidentally, I stayed at this hotel in 2005 solo on business and there is a significant improvement/overhaul from how it looked in 2005 and how it was during this visit.

The food and drinks menu is also quite pleasant. The coffee bar and poolside bar serve a wide selection of continental dishes with buffets in the evening at the main restaurant. We enjoyed hanging out and chilling at the poolside bar and one of us managed to take a dip in the swimming pool though the weather was gloomy due to the rain clouds.

The rooms were very clean and we were fortunate to get one with a bath tub and the general hygiene was of a very high standard from change of sheets to cleanliness of the floors, bathroom, bathtub etc. Quite impressive.

We also got a bargain on 2 fronts - the USD 75 per person rate over the Easter weekend and also on the Happy Hour drinks on Friday night where all drinks were served double at the price of one. This was lots of fun and was a great bonus to our relaxation itinerary for the weekend.

The staff were also warm and friendly and always on hand to assist whenever required from the reception staff, pool bar and restaurant staff and everyone else including the staff at the car park who washed our car on the duration we were there.

We took the short 3.5 hour drive from Nairobi to Arusha and we were not dissappointed and this hotel compares favourably with some of the hotels we have stayed at in our travels in bigger cities and we recommend it to all - we plan to re-visit the hotel in the near future.

Well done to all at Mt. Meru Hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor to minimise noise from activities from the outside but overall, all rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

After traveling for many hours from NYC this was a very comfortable hotel to ease the transition into our safari/beach honeymoon. This is a large business/convention hotel much like others have mentioned, but was perfect for the one night stay when we first arrived in Tanzania. Very clean, large, comfortable rooms. The service and food were excellent and the grounds were beautifully kept.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We liked the 2 days that we spent here. The hotel has good ammenities. Rooms are nice big and clean. I liked the electronic welcome the moment I entered the room.
Food is good. One day we even had a live barbeque

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business