“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent”

Arusha Planet Lodge
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed December 25, 2012

What a fantastic place. Very friendly staff, clean rooms and lovely swimming pool. Food was lovely - set us up well for our trek up Kilimanjaro. We were able to leave our bags whilst we went on our trek and talk to fellow Trekkers!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah T
There are newer reviews for Arusha Planet Lodge

Reviewed December 20, 2012

It really had so much potential. Let me first start off by saying it was clean, and comfortable. The hot water worked, and the room was spacious. The surroundings are quiet and nice. The pool was lovely. And the staff tried really hard to make sure everything was great.

Unfortunately, we were told there was going to be WiFi in the rooms-and there simply wasn't. Maybe because the signal was too weak. Yes, we were in Africa, and we really didn't need WiFi because they had two computers in the lobby, but still, it was part of the "deal" and we stayed two nights (a week apart) and neither room had WiFi. In addition, the prices for laundry service are LAUGHABLE. $2 for each underwear? $4 for pants? Ludicrous. I mean, doing a load of laundry would have cost more than the accommodation. We did most of our laundry in the sink and hung it out to dry. Again, a 1st world luxury but I figure I may as well mention it.

Lastly, another 1st world problem, but again, I think it'd be good to mention. We were on our honeymoon, and we thought it'd be nice to get a massage. We booked one, and the lady (nice lady) who couldn't speak any English (understandably), was supposed to massage us for 45 minutes (according to the front desk) but only massaged us for 30. And to be fair, it was not a great massage. When she came, I didn't realize there wasn't a room for the massage. It was done in our room. So, we went to our room, and she basically stared at me for a few seconds, until I decided to just sit on a chair in the room. She then doused me with baby oil and started to massage me. Getting a neck massage on a chair is not a great idea. She was basically pushing my head forward, and I was struggling to just stay on the chair. I ended up asking her if I could just lie on the bed. Which she nodded to, and the rest of the massage was okay. Anyhow, i feel like I am being hard on the lady, but I need to be honest. I talked to the front desk about the length of the massage, and they helped us come to an agreement with the lady (albeit an uncomfortable standoff) about a lower price.

The breakfast was great, and like I said earlier, the staff was wonderful. I would honestly give this place a 4 star rating if it weren't for some small things, like what I mentioned above. I'd still recommend staying here though, but keep in mind that some of the stuff isn't as advertised.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wajidhoda
PlanetLodger, Manager at Arusha Planet Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear wajidhoda,

I appreciate you noting that the room was clean, spacious, comfortable, the hot water worked, that the pool was lovely and the surroundings were quiet and nice. We are quite proud of our people and I am glad you saw that staff tried really hard to make sure everything was great. Al the same, it breaks our hearts to learn that your stay was just average, especially considering it was during your honeymoon.

Likewise, I appreciate your feedback regarding the massage service, wifi and laundry services. With regards to the massage service, we are working with the subcontractor and our front desk to improve quality and better manage client expectations respectively. With regards to wifi in the rooms, you might recall that you stayed at Planet Lodge just as the heavy rains started and unfortunately one of the wifi access points failed due to the wind/rains. However, we keep several modems at reception as backup to ensure clients are able to use if needed. I wish you would have asked someone at reception as we issue the modems for one hour or longer if there is no queue waiting to use them. Upon comparing our charges for laundry services to other properties in and around Arusha, you will see that our rates are comparable and perhaps on the lower end.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post your review of the lodge on Tripadvisor. This being our first "average" review, we have taken your feedback as a challenge and opportunity to ensure we continue to do our very best to anticipate and deliver per guest needs and expectations.

Warm regards,
Eva.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

After five days of camping, albeit in amazing settings, staying at Planet Lodge was a welcome end to our Tanzanian safari. The hotel had only been open for a few months when we stayed there in Feb 2012, but everything seemed to be running smoothly. The bungalows have good aircon, nice bathrooms and good king sized beds with mosquito nets and are very clean. There is even a pool, which while highly chlorinated and a bit warm (everything is warm in Tanzania in Feb though) was nice to relax in before dinner.

The hotel is not near the city centre and when driving out there with our guide I was a bit worried about where we were going to end up, but then you come across the compound and realise you're thankful you're not right in the city (or at least we were). Happy to get away from that hustle and bustle. The in house restaurant had decent food at decent prices and all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

All in all, it was a good end to our amazing trip and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L2C2
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed one night here at the beginning of November. It was very quiet as it's low season. The bungalows are based on the design of the Maasai villages (round huts with thatched roofs). The room was very comfortable and the food was quite good. It was some distance from Arusha so not very convenient if you want to gt out and about.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue C
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Planet Lodge. Comfy place with all facilities. Very friendly staff. Food is good. G&T taste brilliant.

Recommend this place to anybody who starts either a safari to the Serengeti or the Mount Kilimanjaro climb.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank endaxi0815
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our company used Planet Lodge as our main accommodations to stay before and after our Kilimanjaro trek. The staff was extremely helpful & professional. We stored our luggage for the duration of the trek and everything was safe & secure when we arrived. We arrived late after our trek and were scheduled for a safari the next morning. The manager arranged to have our clothes washed and ready for us before we left! I only problem we had was the lack of water pressure in some of the rooms which made it challenging to clean up after an 8 day trek. I would recommend this hotel to other travelers staying in Arusha!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ZephyrAdventures
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here before and after my Kilimanjaro climb (Good Earth Tours). Great service, clean, very nice rooms, and free wifi, which was huge for getting in touch w/ family back home. The internet signal was pretty strong, as well. I stayed in one of the rooms close to the street, so it wasn't as quiet on my side of the property, but the street noise kind of became "background" and wasn't a problem. I slept great and enjoyed the breakfast provided. Be sure to turn on the switch for hot water before taking a shower. :) If you are hiking the mountain, this place will seem ten times more luxurious when you return!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo