“Roy Safari's Makes It Happen”

Roy Safaris Ltd. - Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 269 Outdoor Activities in Arusha
More attraction details
Owner description: Roy Safaris has been running personalised, tailor-made and small group tours to Tanzania for over two decades. We believe that our considerable experience and knowledge ensure we can offer you a unique, exciting and unforgettable African safari experience. Almost 70 per cent of our bookings comes from referrals or repeat business.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Roy Safari's Makes It Happen”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Spent a quick two days with Roy Safaris, but wanted to commend them on their quick response time in terms of pulling together a last minute trip. Staff were prompt and patient in their response to my queries. They were willing to work within my schedule and time frames to design something that would enable me to max my time in a park. My guide, Joseph, was great. Was flexible and was even easily persuaded to be the first vehicle out the next morning for a 6:15am game drive, meaning we saw areas of the park undisturbed by other traffic. I also appreciated the guides knowledge of the terrain and animal habitats. When my last wish, to see some baboons, hadn't happened naturally, he went searching in areas where they are often known to be - specifically to see if he could find them for me. And find them he did.

Would highly recommend Roy Safari. They are thorough, nothing is too much of a problem and their service level is excellent.

2 Thank broccolilady

London
329 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 578 helpful votes
“Professional and well run safari operator”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Right from the start I was really impressed by Roy Safaris.  I contacted lots of companies and was suggesting what I now know to be an unreasonable itinerary.  Some companies were quite rude to me but Riwaida at Roy Safaris was very diplomatic and suggested a much better itinerary at a reasonable price straight away. Riwaida and then Hilda (when Riwaida was on maternity leave) was also very responsive and quick to get back to me.

I was nervous about transferring the whole price of the trip but that seems to be the way it works so that's what we did.  In some ways I'm glad as it meant that we didn't have to carry the cash around and only had to worry about tips and any extra drinks we had at our accommodation.

We had a very professional briefing by Nelson at the Roy Safaris offices before we left for our safari and had a good driver called Isa who drove us to Tarangire and then Ngorongoro Crater.  Isa was experienced and was a very careful driver which made me feel much safer having seen how fast and crazy some safari vehicles are driven.  We were very lucky and saw lots of game including all of the big 5 apart from the rhino.

The accommodation we stayed in was superb.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Roy Safaris.

2 Thank eatydrinky
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent Safari Experience”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our trip (of three couples) to Tanzania was excellent including our time in Arusha, the safari itself and our time in Zanzibar. Susan was very knowledgeable and helpful as we planned our trip. Our driver and guide, Abdul, was very experienced, entertaining and accommodating and became a friend to us all. The bookings, introductory briefing and assistance from Nelson were excellent. We highly recommend Roy Safaris as it is an experienced company and this was very evident in their professional and informed staff. This was a trip of a lifetime and the management of all the details by Roy Safaris and its affiliate, A-Way To Africa Safaris, made it truly enjoyable.

1 Thank Gary W
Lubbock, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Hiking Kili and A Safari”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The guides we were provided through Roy Safaris were excellent. Our entire group of three made it to the summit, and we spotted every animal we wanted to see during the safari, except Rhinos, which really is not surprising.

Amos and Modest were our guides on the mountain. They recruited a porter to climb to the summit with us, so we each had someone to help us if we needed it. It turned out that we did need it, because my father got altitude sickness pretty badly. They took his pack and helped him make it to the top. They also checked on him constantly to make sure he was still able to continue.

Harry was our guide on the safari and he really knew what he was doing. He could tell us the scientific names of all the animals we saw and he helped us spot numerous things we would have missed. Along the way he accommodated us, stopping every time we wanted to take a picture.

Susan answered all of my questions before our trip and really helped me in the planning process. For instance, when I was struggling to determine which route to climb, she suggested the Rongai route because of my father's age. It turned out to be a great decision, because it gave us a lot of time to acclimatize, so we would increase our chance of making the summit.

Our tents and food on the mountain were great. The porters, cook, and guides were all excellent. Our driver for the safari was excellent, too. The vehicle for the safari could have been a little better, because the back door would not unlock. The tented lodges were not that great and we were not pleased with the food on the safari. The safari, itself though, was amazing.

Notes: When our credit cards did not work to make the final payment for our trip, they still sent us on our trip. They trusted us to make the payment. However, I would highly recommend using a wire transfer or bringing cash for the final payment, because figuring out what to do once we were in Tanzania was stressful. We notified our credit card companies prior to leaving the country that we would need to use them in Tanzania and the cards still did not work.

Also, when you are told to bring new bills, believe them. A torn $20 bill of ours was not accepted at a local market, even though the tear was tiny.

Bring lots of small bills, because there are many people to tip.

1 Thank williamsld83
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent 3-Day Safari”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We took a private (3 person), 3-day, 2-night safari with Roy's to Lake Manyara and the Ngorongoro Crater. It was an incredible experience. Our guide, Joshua, was very knowledgeable and unbelievably passionate. He was as excited about the animals as we were, and was able to answer all of our questions about animal behavior and habitat. He was also very passionate about conservation in the area.

The lodges we stayed in were also incredibly luxurious and scenic, even though we selected the cheaper options provided by Roy's.

Augustino was very responsive and provided lots of information during pre-trip planning, and he gave us an extensive briefing (and free t-shirts) in Arusha.

Roy Safaris made it an even more pleasant experience by never pressuring us to spend more money or provide a larger tip. This was not the case with other companies and employees in Tanzania's tourism industry, so it was refreshing to travel with a company as professional as Roy's.

I couldn't be more happy with our trip and with Roy Safaris. I highly recommend a trip with Roy Safaris!

1 Thank WilliamAllenDavies