“Too touristy”

236 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 426 helpful votes
“Too touristy”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Prices were more expensive than other places we visited and although there was a good selection, we did not purchase anything. In and out in about 30 minutes.

Visited July 2013

Taylors, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Trip to Tanzania for Mission and Safari”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had the food fortune to visit Arusha, Tanzania for 10 days of volunteering in an orphanage and then a 10-day Safari through the Serengeti. It is not a trip for everyone but if you are adaptable and really wish to experience the beauty of Tanzania, the culture of the people, the various tribes including the Maasi, gorgeous animals, and learn how people in that country live-then just do it.
We met wonderful people, and our home stay during our mission could not have been better. There were five other guests participating in volunteer work at various schools ad orphanages. The children are adorable and so starved for attention, any small gift and just interaction. There life is so simple and sometimes not enough food-we are so fortunate in America. The Safari was just fabulous in every way with a hot air balloon over the Serengeti. Our guide could not have been better if we had hand picked him, Knowledgeable of the land, the animals, the birds and the culture. Be glad to be in America, even on a bad day!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Monell69
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ilkidingßa Cultural Tourism Programme”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

It´s a great opportunity to get to know Tanzanian rural life off the beaten track. The tours are cheap in comparison with Safaris. The guide will pick you up at your hotel and you will walk together through the fields of Ilkindinga. On your way, you will meet people working on the fields or children coming back from school. The guide tells you a lot about how Masaai people live nowadays. You will be served a local dinner and after that you get the chance to see a real "Boma" Masaai village. Make sure you have enough time for the trip. You will need at least half a day for the walk. The trip can be booked at the hotel. You can also reach them via internet: www.ilkidinga.com

Visited May 2013
1 Thank DanielSchuetz
Durban
“My Serengeti Experince with Dapi Tapi Travels”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I am a 35 y.o. male from the RSA. I went on a 5 day Tanzania safari in June last year. Thanks to Dapi Tapi, I had an excellent experience. Denovan, the company owner (I believe) communicated with my group by email and phone prior to the trip. He was honest and made the safari effortless when we finally arrived. Denovan was always punctual and set us up with a great tour guide named Amani. I highly recommend him. Contact info is:
255-774777323
+ 263 779543380
If you're looking into a safari in Tanzania, please post any questions you have and I will let you know particulars of my experience. When traveling abroad you can feel a little weary about trusting in others. Luckily, I was in good hands and would like to pass my fortune on to others.

Daniel !

Visited June 2012
Abbotsford, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The culture,food, and people of Tanzania”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My recent trip to Tanzania was without question one for the ages.The summit of UHURU PEAK on Feb. 25 will last forever, as will the Tanzania culture. Let me first of start with the Mt.Kilimanjaro Trek. I opted for the Lemosho Route (8days) as I wanted the best chance to summit, extra days certainly will assist with acclimation. The Lemosho Route is less travelled for the first 3 days, then hooks up with the Machame Route.

The tour operator was ClimbKili. From the initial planning stages the people from the head office were responsive to all email inquires and forwarded the information package well in advance. Once in Arusha, representatives from the office came to the hotel for a final briefing, to ensure we had all the proper gear and finalize departure times for the trek. Also, they were at the airport upon arrival with my name, very easy to locate and a sense of security. The guides,porters, cooks and all other support staff were nothing but professional. They really wanted you to enjoy the experience and summit. Always smiling.....no money but very happy!

Several members of the team did not summit due to the altitude, they were never left alone and closely monitored. Assistant guides were with them every step of the way, and available at any time during the night if needed. Never any pressure to go faster, but rather taking as long as you needed to get to the next camp. I witnessed several tour operators basically running thru the trails and clients trying to keep up, what was the point of this I said to myself. ClimbKili had a plan and executed it to a tee, lots of times for breaks and pictures along the way. Lastly, give yourself a couple days before the trek actually starts, my gear was delayed in Amsterdam for a day, would have been terrible to start the trek the next day with only my boots.Your going that far, a couple extra days will not break the bank.

While in Arusha I opted to stay at the Christina House....I wanted to experience the culture of Tanzania, this was not going to happen by staying at a big hotel downtown Arusha. The Christina House is located roughly 11km from Arusha, a small B&B that offers everything one needs. Security is not an issue, you are safe and will never have to worry about your items. If you leave for the day, just give your key to Helen/Ros.....Traditional meals are prepared/cooked with locally grown organic fruit, veggies and served with the real wooden spoons. Simply put, delicious and you must try the pumkin soup. The staff wants you to enjoy every aspect of your stay, being satisfied is a concern to them, they want you to feel right at home.

Christina who is the owner can arrange numerous day trips; coffee farm tour, shopping at markets, embrace the villages, Arusha National Park, or even some routes to get those legs ready for your Kili Trek. All for a fraction of the price that most tour operators will charge. Just ask for Okuli, he is very professional and at the end of the day you will be very happy of what you experienced. There is no pressure at all, just tell them what you want to see and they will present several options with a reasonable fee.....you then decide what you want to do.

I was very blessed to have travelled to Tanzania, and have the fondest memories of everyone who shared the moment(s) with me.

Visited February 2013