“Do not miss out on this one!”
Review of The River House - CLOSED

The River House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2013

If you are in Arusha, do not miss this pearl! This is truly a wonderful project. Shangaa is employing disabled Maasai that would have very few if any means of survival except of begging the streets of Arusha. I was really moved when I visited the place together with an older Maasai colleague. When visiting the workshop he recognized a girl from his hometown Loliondo, one day away from Arusha. He used to support her in the past and never heard from hear since. Tears were in his eyes when he saw her back after all this years, happily working for Shangaa. Shangaa is one of these few social businesses that are self sustaining and this is only through the beautiful products they make (only place where they do glass blowing in Tanzania! Also check out the beautiful children cloths and jewelry!) and the nice food they prepare (you get a glass of bubbles while waiting!). Anyway, a nice place to spend your money in a stunning garden (with monkeys and hyraxes) and feel good about it! If we ever had more of this in Arusha!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Yes, River House is usually lunch only but two weeks ago I got completely stuck when one of the lodges declined our request for a workshop dinner of 40 people less than a week before (they had contemplated for a month!). River house hosted us and it was an incredible experience. After a welcome drink of bubbly we were blowing glass in the workshop, browsed the shop and then had a really beautiful BBQ dinner. Since they could not find singers/dancers for the night the staff sung us two songs, it was very beautiful. I am thrilled to have found the place, they have discovered a new business opportunity and I am really happy that the money goes to a great cause and not another private pocket, can't be bothered & badly managed tourist lodge. Super effort guys - just please don't give me headaches about late bank transfers again and trust a little more... but thank you for arranging this last minute.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visit Shanga River House frequently and still cannot find a place that replaces the experience that you get at Shanga in Arusha. What I love the most is that not only is there a beautiful restaurant setting in the garden, one can also sit under the trees after finishing lunch and relax with friends for hours, without being bothered by anyone, besides being served great cuppucinos..

Shanga has a great little shop and I never leave without buying a little gift for myself or someone else, the experience is unique and highly recommended!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We visited the Shanga River House with our tour group. This included a private cooking lesson with the main chef. We had a great time and the chef is talented and charming. We enjoyed our lunch which included five entrees. But what really stood out was the workshop that employed physically challenged adults. We were able to visit with them and because my husband and I sign, we were able to converse with many of them. They seemed happy to be share their individual skills, such as weaving, jewelry making and other quality household items. Some of my favorite purchases came from their workshop.

1  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We booked as per instructed on their page since they have limited places. The food was really nice and the people working there are extremely kind. A perfect place to relax and enjoy just outside Arusha. It is the perfect complement after visiting the workshop area and after doing a bit of shopping.

1  Thank Clauz_y_Marian