“Wonderful Hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
The Bay Leaf Boutique Hotel
Ranked #26 of 140 Arusha B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2012

One night here was enough to know that this hotel has everything right.
Easy to get to, near town but in a quiet part of Arisha. Very friendly and attentive staff, great room, fabulous shower and lovely breakfast.

We ate at the hotel restaurant which was good but not fine dining, as they advertise, but for the money it was still excellent.

Highly recommend the hotel, restaurant is fine but not fine dining.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NorfLondonTraveller

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Recently back to base after a short visit in Arusha. I selected a new hotel for the only night we had, and this time on a place where I have visited for lunches and dinners many times before. And now I know where I will stay next time as well.

The overall rating has to be excellent. Many things are much better here than on other places. Its very stylish... not too swahili to be honest, but clearly very posh. Very warm colours, tasteful decorations and expensive materias. *I wonder how this hotel can generate profit in the end of the day, as there are only 6 rooms.. The staff is very good and accommodating. No worries there. Professional. The best thing in the room was the extremly good pillows in the bed and the bathroom... well, I got a suite so its supposed to be nice, but anyway, worth mentioning.

However, there are a few small things which could be done better.

-ordering of breakfast.... very strange with 4-5 set menus, and plenty of side dishes to order for an additional fee.... which was then fixing your order to be either sweet, healthy, fatty .... or something else... and then anyway it was possible after all to get a taylormade breakfast without any extra payments... sounds a bit confusing??? Yes, it was like that. Still it was not much of a problem. I got exactly what I ordered (my friend not) and my egg benedict were perfect (my friends not).
-bad internet.... could be upgraded to a better speed... would suite the business people much better then.
-difficult to find a good balance between cold and warm water in the shower...(now Im a bit too picky....)
- some loud music from a nearby bar.... but did not ruin the experience that much as it was the cold period and I kept the windows closed.

Not much to be negativ about.... really. Thats why they get a full five pointer from me. Recommend it to people who dont want a big place to stay and stilkl have a 5 star experience.

And please, eat at least once there as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank GoZanzibar
Reviewed June 18, 2012

These pictures do not do this hotel justice! It is an absolutely beautiful hotel, far and away the best that I have tried in Africa. Though I’m sure there are luxury game lodges that are incredible for a very good close-to-town base this is perfect.

I was staying with colleagues and we booked out the whole hotel for over a week and Mary the owner looked after us wonderfully. The rooms are all unique and spotless. We had come for the African Development Bank Annual Meetings and beds were in great demand that week with many delegates unable to find a place to stay when they arrived - everyone we spoke to was jealous that we were at the Bay Leaf as it seems they have built up a well deserved reputation, especially the restaurant which was packed every night!

The suites are absolutely huge. My room was the smallest and on the ground floor and I must admit all the others were a bit nicer but it was still spacious with a luxury bathroom. The windows have nets built into them so you can open them and avoid bugs! I didn’t get bitten once during my stay.

The restaurant was staggeringly good compared with the usual food on offer other hotels in the area, my only complaint is that there were few ‘African’ options – definitely try the pilau! Also expect a long delay and order well in advance, all the staff are lovely but speed isn’t their thing! It’s worth the wait though.

Of all my travels this was probably the most relaxing place to stay on business and I’d definitely stay here if I go again to Arusha having seen the quality and location of many other hotels whilst there. At The Bay Leaf you have the privacy of a hotel whilst feeling like part of the family, close to everything and in a quiet setting.

Pictures to come...!

Room Tip: Go for a suite!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank PopiB
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The setting is charming, but the restaurant has some room to grow. The selection is good, but can get overwhelmed very easily. Worth a try if you have some time to linger.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank dctraveler03
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here before our safari and after my Kilimanjaro hike. Fantastic hotel although more expensive than others we looked at it was worth it. But we did run out of hot water for the shower one day. The staff is very accommodating. The breakfast is excellent. The food and wines we had at the restaurant was also very good. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ccandyy
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed in hotel back in Dec 2011 for 4 nights before and after my Kilimanjaro climb. 2 nights prior to the climb and 2 nights after. The staff was very friendly and accomodating as I was a solo traveller.I stayed in the sydney suite as well as the decco suite which was amazing. The rooms are quite large with a wrap around shower which was welcomed after the climb and also a balcony. The rooms also had air conditioning which was appreciated. The amenties and comfort of the room were quite reasonable considering the price. I arrived late on Christmas day and they were able to accomodate me with duck samosas which were amazing even after the kitchen had closed. I also was able to eat in the lobby of the hotel for dinner. The restaurant is world class. I had some kenyan beef which was amazing and welcome after the food on the mountain climb for 8 days. The breakfasts were amazing as well. I will never forgot the beet juice I had over there. The chef also made a to-go lunch for a safari I did to Ngorongoro.

Highly recommended and I would say without hesitation the best hotel in Arusha and great boutique hotel on par with any other high-end in the world.

Room Tip: Choose the deco suite which has an amazing balcony overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Shakeel K
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Very beautiful hotel. I really enjoyed the feel of the hotel, it feels more like a home. The staff was very friendly. We had all of our meals in Arusha at the hotel and they were great. The tuna tartare was a welcome sight after 6 days on the mountain.

The only issues were 1) the water in the first room we stayed in but in the second room (when we returned from Kilimanjaro), it was great, and 2) breakfast was not ready at the time we requested on the morning we flew out (0600) but they did provide us a boxed breakfast with a couple of items.

The hotel definitely seems primed for Kilmanjaro hikers. They did a great job getting our laundry turned around in just a day and they scheduled an in-house masseuse for us when we returned.

Room Tip: Ask for one with good water pressure!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple