“An Oasis in Arusha Highlands”

Songota Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 118 Arusha B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“An Oasis in Arusha Highlands”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I came across Songota Falls Lodge by accident, and by fate. The hotel I initially planned to stay was fully booked; other hotels my agent had contract rates were quite pricy and did not look all that charming to justify the cost. Therefore, I decided to take the matter into my own hands and looked up TripAdvisor. What a fantastic find! The Lodge is an oasis situated on the outskirt of Arusha Town, far away from the hustle and bustle, and nestled in the local corn and banana fields. A little hard to find; but if you are dropped off/picked up by a driver, they will find the way. Each rondavel is a self-contained suite complete with shower and sitting areas; the bed is clean, warm and comfortable. The Lodge has beautiful gardens with lush greens; and the dining hut has views of faraway hills. To top these, Joyce's cooking is mouthwatering - simply but delicious! She can also arrange day excursions, depending on your interests. The people working for her are all friendly and kind. I only stayed there for two days, but the whole time I felt like staying at a friend's guest house. If you are looking for a non-touristy experience, and a home-away-from-home; here is a place I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for two nights, one at either side of our safari trip, which was organised by the owners son.

I found Songota Falls Lodge on here and saw that it had excellent reviews which prompted me to book. I emailed the lodge and got chatting to the owners son Raymond. I just so happened to ask him if he could give me any advice on booking a safari as we had never done one before. Without hesitation he organised the whole thing for us. The safari itself was the most amazing experience I have had and it went without hiccup.

Songotta Falls Lodge itself is located in the hills about ten to fifteen minute drive from Arusha. The setting is amazing and the views are to die for. Basically the rooms are decent sized wooden huts with sloping roofs. They are very basic inside which is perfect as a room with a TV etc would not really fit into the peaceful and tranquil setting. We had a double bed with was very big. There is also a mosquito net which you can pull down around the bed which just adds to the cosiness.

The owner, Joyce, made us feel extremely welcome as soon as we arrived. She greeted us with a glass of her home made fruit juice then cooked us the most amazing meal. There is no menu you just eat whatever she cooks but you will not be disappointed. All fresh fruit and vegetables locally sourced. She basically plays mother to you until you leave which is great.

Her son Raymond does not work at the lodge but will pick you up from the airport or take you wherever you want to go or organise whatever trips you want like our safari. He picked us up from Kilimanjaro airport and brought us to the lodge. On the way I happened to mention that I was a Liverpool FC supporter. There was a match against Manchester City on that evening and he very kindly offered to take me to his local to watch the game on a big screen, I was over the moon and very impressed.

Raymond is also a very talented artist who's paintings can be seen in the rooms and around the lodge. He also displayed some for us on the lawn with no pressure to but at all. We ended up buying one at a very reasonable price. It now sits in our living room and is a great token of our trip.

All in all I would recommend this place to anyone especially if you need a couple of relaxing days / nights to wind down from a hectic trip.

Thanks Joyce and Raymond for an amazing time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trick110
Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed in SFL for two nights on either side of safari on our recent honeymoon. This is a wonderful spot. Quiet and secluded and in the midst of a neat little village worth exploring if you have an hour to kill. You can also trek down to the waterfall for $10. This cost is a bit absurd for a moderate 30 min roundtrip hike but it seemed like the money went straight into the hands of our two guides so no big deal. The food was tasty and plentiful and Joyce (the proprietor) is a wonderfully warm and kind women. Dial up internet was available whenever we asked to use it. The rooms (bungalows) are big and reasonably clean. SFL is on the outskirts of Arusha so a taxi ride is a bit more expensive and it is a bit of a hassle to get into downtown but if you are more interested in a quiet comfortable spot SFL is for you.
A few quick things I wished I had known before this trip:
1. Arusha is really cold at night (due to the altitude). I was very happy to have jeans, a wool hat and two fleeces but I would have also brought a lightweight sleeping bag in retrospect.
2. Do not drink the water even when brushing your teeth or showering. I got sick at SFL and also again on Safari. Make sure to bring ciprofloxacin in case you are unlucky like me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew M
Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the end of our trip into Serengeti and Ngorongoro and its the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of the town centre while only being 10-15 minutes from the centre. Joyce is the most gracious host and will do anything to help you during your stay. The food she makes is delicious and the accommodation in the rondavels is very clean and comfortable. We were so happy that we stayed here and if we ever go back, we will definitely be coming back to Songota.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jenna_Flemming
holland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Good place to stay, just outside the hustle and bustle of Arusha. Joyce makes you feel like you're at home. You can walk around the village and experience local life here. Joyce can arrange a walk for you to the waterfall, which is small but lovely.

We stayed for 2 nights. Rooms are basic, and dark, but with hot shower! Beds are rather small. However, we had a great time here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lalalala_9
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed in Songota Falls Lodge during part of our honeymoon and had a wonderful time.

Songota Falls is fantastically rustic and different to anything we had experienced before. Even though we checked in very late (11pm) on our first night, Joyce was kind enough to prepare some tasty food for us. Breakfast was nice also. The rooms were large and we really enjoyed the rustic African experience. We would strongly recommend Songota Falls Lodge to others.

Andy & Fiona

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our family of seven stayed one night and it was great experience. Such a pleasure to stay in a place with homey feeling. Joyce prepares very good food, both dinner and breakfast were excellent. The grounds are immaculate. I wish we could admire views but the weather was cloudy. In nice weather, the place must look even better!

I searched many hotels in Arusha before spotting this one on Tripadvisor, and I am so grateful - other hotels in Arusha were not very appealing. The road there is bumpy but not long, and you feel like staying in the country, not in town. There was no problem in getting to the bus station next morning - Joyce's son Raymond drove us there, navigating morning traffic. Raymond is a talented artist, his paintings are different to what is offered at markets. We were happy to buy few of them.

I agree with previous reviews that it could be more light in the hut, but this was not important considering how nice the place is. Thanks Joyce for the great experience!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family