“Hakuna Matata”
Review of The Bay Leaf

The Bay Leaf
Ranked #38 of 124 Restaurants in Arusha
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just come back from Tanzania, where i had great time during safaris! I really enjoyed the wild nature, the happy people and the breathtaking panoramas. However, during safaris and in Arusha I had really hard time finding good and not-so-expensive food. For my last dinner (together with my family and my friend) I decided to try The Bay Leaf Restaurant. The place is really nice with a quite an intimate atmosphere (we dine in the tables outdoor) the food is good, well presented and not expensive (obviously very expensive if compared to Tanzanian standards), with 2 beers, 2 fresh juices, 1 water, 6 main courses, bread and 4 desserts we spent around 120 Euro. I found the cooking style and the dish presentation very British, the chef must have worked in the Uk before that!
After all the food was good and safe! That is already enough considering it is in Tanzania! Service in fact was a bit slow, even if there were not many guest!

2  Thank 1nicplastic1

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Quite enjoyed this place notwithstanding the almost 2 hour wait for the food which would have been more stressful if wasn't with a group of friends. Hands down the best brunch and considering high prices here was of value. Service as slow as it can get.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

the waiter had no clue, the food that was served was excellent except for the meal of the 4th person in our group: as the order had not gone through she was served a half frozen lambshank, with no excuses. When we sent the food back and asked to see the manager this took quite some time. No real action was taken. A real pity, the restaurant came highly recommended but our evening was terrible.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Food was delicious here and everything was safe to eat. However we had a large party of 40 people and this was obviously a stretch for them to cater for. Service was consequently really slow with starters taking 90mins to appear

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times (December 2012 - January 2013) and dined here several times on my many subsequent trips to Tanzania. The food is of exceptional quality, the service always prompt and friendly. I had the delight of staying in the suite with the huge soaking tub (Regency Suite, I believe) over New Years. The Bay Leaf is an intimate, small, boutique hotel: the rooms are impeccably outfitted and the staff was attentive and friendly.
The manager and his wife are a lovely couple who will go out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay and a delicious meal. Excellent coffee and desserts also, which are hard to find in Tanzania.
I highly recommend the Bay Leaf, for fine dining, their rooms, and their very convenient location.