“Nice little boutique hotel”
Review of The African Tulip

The African Tulip
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The African Tulip is a lovely little boutique hotel down the street from central Arusha. The location is good, quiet, but still within walking distance of the main part of town and near several restaurants. The hotel itself is clean and nicely appointed and the staff are very good. They genuinely care about their guests' well-being. The food is fine, nothing outstanding, but certainly not bad. They even provided breakfast to go when we had to check-out of the hotel before breakfast on our last day. The managers and supervisors consistently checked in with us to make sure everything was good. The bathroom was huge and clean, and included both tub and shower. The hotel thoughtfully placed my colleague and I in a suite arrangement where we could use private common space for work. This was fine for us, but I can see where some colleagues may not want to be that close. We had separate doors with locks though.

As a business hotel, the wifi is good, but the outlets were not very accessible and were not international with the multi-plug adapter. The desk is small and the tv is right above it, which was kind of distracting. This is somewhat on me for not thoroughly checking, but I was disappointed to find out the hotel does not have a gym. It's not like they claimed one though, so I should have been more diligent. Still, it would've been nice if they had even just a small gym with a couple treadmills.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel is simply but vibrantly decorated. Our room included a reading nook, was immaculately clean, spacious and comfortable. The included breakfast was varied, fresh and plentiful. The service offered by all the staff was warmly prompt and efficient. The hotel felt very safe and secure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank shdup
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I arrived at Kilimanjaro Airport on a Turkish Air flight from Istanbul about 3AM on July 16th, 2013. We were met by a woman from Unique Safaris, who very quickly guided us through the entry process. She handed us off to two others from Unique, who then drove through the African night for about 45 minutes, till we arrived in the arms of the wonderful folks at the African Tulip. It was our first night/morning in Africa, we were tired, and the staff silently led us to our room on the first floor. We slept soundly in a well-appointed, comfortable room. Internet service was excellent, but you had to pay a small fee for it. That night at dinner, the General Manager, Anuj Sharma, stopped by to say hi. I have never met a GM so keen on making sure everything was right. Along with his staff, he made us feel like they've been waiting for our arrival a very long time, and they were glad that we were finally there, safely; so were we. The next day we set off on a 10-day safari. Our last night in the bush was at Sanctuary Swala in Tarangire NP. We drove from there back to our final night in Africa at the African Tulip. I urge anyone attempting the same drive: DON'T! Fly back. The road is the worst I've ever seen. I have back problems and by the time we arrived at the Tulip, I could barely walk. Staff helped me to my room, we slept for a bit, showered for dinner, then I hobbled to one of the nicely-appointed tables in the dining room. To my surprise, Anuj Sharma seemed to appear out of nowhere to say hi and to hear about our safari experience. After 1 minute of fidgeting because of my back, Anuj asked if something was wrong. I mentioned my problem and the road back into town. Anuj left briefly and came back with the biggest, softest pillow I've seen and helped me wedge it into just the right place. Aaaaah...Thank You Mr. Sharma! This was our first time in Africa and it seemed so different from our 'normal' travels. However, Mr. Sharma and his staff eased us into the experience and, when we needed it most, cared for us like family. I would stay here again, without hesitation, if only to say hi to a new, good friend: Anuj Sharma. Thanks to all. We should be back for the birthing season.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DanandRoannGron
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Tulip in Arusha and found it to be lovely. The general manager- Mr Sharma- was extremely helpful and very considerate of his guests. The hotel is beautifully decorated without feeling overly formal. The breakfasts were plentiful and tasty. We spent 3 nights there and decided to eat in the restaurant all 3 nights- the Indian food on the menu was by far the best. We had room 10- quite large with a small sitting area near the bed.

The staff was wonderful- and could not do enough for us. We had two outings and both were enjoyable. We used Matthew from Roy Safari to take us to Arusha National Park. We have wonderful videos of giraffes, baboons and monkeys that will remain with us forever. Matthew also took us to a local Meru village where we actually prepared coffee ourselves- a process that took about 30 minutes and was a lot of fun.

The only small negative was a charge for WiFi. It was a delightful experience and we would highly recommend the hotel to everyone.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happyhiker66
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My recent six-night stay in this hotel was my second visit here. I had stayed once last year upon return from a safari booked through Roy's next door. So I knew in advance that the hotel was beautiful, clean and comfortable. What I hadn't known was that the staff would go to such lengths to serve my needs. Room service? Fast and efficient. Space for a small impromptu meeting? Arranged on short notice. Transport from Kilimanjaro airport? Reliably available for a price.
The wi-fi was down when I checked in, but that problem was fixed within an hour, and I had no connection problems after that.
The restaurant, very beautiful, features a selection of Indian foods along with African and international choices.
I definitely will book this hotel again if I return to Arusha.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower-level room if stairs are a problem; I was on an upper level and appreciated the exer...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The African Tulip is the perfect start and end point for a safari. The rooms are very clean, spacious and simply decorated with choice decorator items, the staff are friendly and helpful and the manager was so welcoming - he treated us like long lost friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Can't overemphasize how friendly the service is here. In addition to being extremely attentive throughout my stay, the General Manager Anuj Sharma not only helped me book a room in another lodge for the last night of my stay, he worked hard to negotiate a discount for me. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo