“Great Boutique hotel!!!”
Review of The African Tulip

The African Tulip
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the hotel before and after our safari trip. and it was a great way to finish our safari trip! the hotel is gorgeous. we stayed at one of the suites, it was a very large room, clean and comftorable.
The service in the hotel is very good and kind.
There is also nice pool.
The breakfast was very good and we took for the safari trip a lunch box which was also very good.
We will certainly come back and we highly reccomand this hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here recently before and after our 'northern circuit' safari. And it was perfect. We felt immediately at home thanks largely to the smashing staff, the excellent accommodation and the relaxed atmosphere in the dining room (whether it was buffet or a la carte). We plan to return (and for longer) in 2013. Highly recommended.

Ash & Mika
UK/NL

Room Tip: Ask for a suite...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley F
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This place r-o-c-k-e-d. I bought a Groupon package deal to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro (through Odyssey Safaris - but that's a separate review). While on the mountain we camped, but my first night in Tanzania and the last night before I left I stayed at the African Tulip.
This place definitely caters to Westerners and, while I pride myself on being a girl who can rough it, I have to say that this place was like a spa after coming off 8 days on the mountain without a shower. The African Tulip is a very nice hotel by any standards, but their service went above and beyond the call of duty. After coming in off the mountain, I was tired and beyond dirty. The manager met me at reception (as he did the first night I checked in) and inquired as to my comfort. I was served fresh mango juice while I waited, and looked on as a staff member "dusted" my pack. After being shown to my SPECTACULAR room (adjacent to my travel partner's room, both of which were segregated from the other rooms with our own private lounge) I saw I had a King sized bed, a soaking tub, and a separate shower (I made full use of all three within the first hour).
When I came back downstairs clean, refreshed, and in search of a celebratory Kilimanjaro Lager (available at the hotel bar) the manager again appeared and inquired as to my comfort and satisfaction with the room (pleasantly - not annoyingly). I had a great dinner at the hotel restaurant and a very restful night in my room.
The next morning the manager arranged for me a late checkout at noon (regularly 10) since my ride to the airport wouldn't arrive until 2pm. Given their pending reservations it was the best he could do and I gratefully accepted. I came down to the well appointed lobby at noon to wait for my ride. After about 1/2 hour, the manager came to inform me that one of his guests was going to be delayed in their arrival, and that he had made their room available to me to wait the remaining hour for my ride in comfort and privacy. He gave me a key to a newly cleaned and prepped room, just so I could be comfortable for the next 60 minutes!

I can't gush enough about this hotel. It was comfortable, safe (manned gate at the parking lot), beautiful, and every staff member from the bartender, restaurant service staff, reception attendants, cleaning staff, and the exceptional manager were accommodating, warm, friendly, and absolutely welcoming. Asahnte sana!!

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms - I'm not sure they have any "bad" rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kelly2740
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We took a shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha and checked into this hotel while on a safari organized by Roys Safari. It was a great start to our 10 day Tanzanian safari. We should have booked two days, however, because we were not ready to leave early the next morning. There were 12 of us and we all agreed this was a great start for our vacation. The food in the restaurant was good. The staff were friendly and helpful. The kids loved the pool. Rooms were elegant and comfortable. And, our shuttle bus dropped us at the hotel and then picked us up there 10 days later (Riverside).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and were greeted by the manager on arrival! How impressive!....He was very warm and gracious, we had noted on our Hotel voucher a very late checkout so we enquired as our flight wasn't until the evening. The manager said the voucher was incorrect but what do what he could to ensure the latest possible checkout for us. And he did just that!....Keeping in contact with us that day and the next and we were able to stay as long as possible. It was so appreciated we couldn't believe how he went out of his way!....
Then we went to our room, and we had a huge room with 2 double beds and a balcony, and felt we were in heaven - after being on safari for a week just what we needed!
This is a lovely, beautifully decorated hotel - we just wish we could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed there with colleagues as we were having a meeting in Arusha. The hotel is well place in a quiet street so you don't hear the noises of the traffic. It's clean and really comfortable. The rooms are big, with nice bathrooms. I had hot water and pressure in the shower. There's a safe in the room that works perfectly well. The business center can be used for free. You can also have a wifi connection for 10 USD/day. The staff is nice and friendly. the bed is gigantic and the sheets are clean and fresh. There's also a big swimming pool and a nice bar. I really recommend this hotel. I totally understand why it's the first ranked hotel in Arusha on tripadvisor.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

"On our most recent safaris, my extended family stayed at the new African Tulip Hotel when we were in Arusha. The controlled temperature rooms are large, exquisite, quiet, well-designed and decorated, with comfortable beds. The meals included a broad selection of food that was well prepared and presented, in a relaxed atmosphere. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The main setting for dining is a baobub tree along with other unique wood designs that make the African Tulip a very unique and special place to stay and to eat. In summary, we had a very pleasant stay in the African Tulip and will stay there again if we return to Tanzania. I highly recommend the African Tulip."

Room Tip: If you are planning to stay at the African Tulip, book your stay early.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family