“Cracking place to stay!!”
Review of The African Tulip

The African Tulip
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
London, United Kingdom
“Cracking place to stay!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

During my time in Tanzania undertaking voluntary work as a doctor I had the great fortune of staying in The African Tulip on 3 separate occasions. Each time the service was impeccable, the rooms were wonderfully comfortable and spacious, and the food was delicious. I will gladly return to them in the future and recommend them to all my friends and family.

For each of my three stays I was warmly welcomed by the front of house and the General Manager, shown to my room by a cheerful porter. The rooms were very comfortable and relaxing, which was wonderful to come back to after a day out. In the restaurant, I was greeted by the restaurant manager and got mouth-watering scrumptious food.

The General Manager must be commended, he was hands on with guests and welcomed me personally each time I came. He additionally helped me several times, with no charge and great speed, with several problems that arose during my visit – i.e. broken luggage zips and helping with last minute problems with flights.

My only slight criticism would be to expand the menu slightly for more choice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Turkish first
American Canyon, California
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I went to Tanzania for a safari african tulip we are going to the front desk gave us our room very spacious and clean, nice bathroom
we stayed at the restaurant a waitress giving us the map did not smile much.
the chef came to greet us very valuable and we have advised us that his specialties was very good and with lots of lemon butter flavor, very very good carbonnara.
As part of the hotel is very beautiful and style African safari resort in the restaurant.
I advise all tourists who travel to Arusha to book the african tulip and taste the different dish of the chef

Room Tip: i think all room is ok
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This was the first stop in our safari with Roy's Safaris. We were thrilled with the family room "suite" and the overall atmosphere of the hotel. The staff was lovely. Then, we went to dinner. I was surprised at the mediocre food. The menu sounded international and fun but the food left a lot to be desired. We enjoy good food so this was a disappointing start to our trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Switzerland
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at the African Tulip after a disappointing experience at the place block-booked by my safari company. This is a really good hotel, and although it's expensive so is most of the competition and it's certainly better than anything else I saw in Arusha. We had a large, spotless room with air-con, comfortable bed and beautiful bathroom with excellent water pressure (how they do it when no-one else can, I don't know!). It's obviously very micro-managed with the manager to be seen around the place all the time but as everything works, this is perhaps a good thing. The restaurant is also excellent. My only complaint is that despite following the instructions to leave the towels on the racks if we wanted to save the environment and use them again, every single time (morning and night) all towels were changed regardless. As the sign in the bathroom told me, water is a very precious resource in Tanzania with many people having to walk miles every day to collect it, so it seems very wasteful to change the towels for no reason at all.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chloeioana
Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed December 18, 2011

How disappointed i was when i arrived at the African Tulip Hotel to have dinner off their"fusion Buffet" as advertised French, Asian, African and Indian cuisine. Soup was served was told it was "cream soup" had a meat base and was served without bread had to ask for it when bread rolls arrived it was stale but warm, the salads consisted of sliced onion, cucumber, onion, tomato and grated carrots. The main course was crispy chicken, fish curry, lentil stew, mashed potato, rice, chapattis, Indian style veg and green beans dessert was watermelon slices, a tart and sliced jelly like stuff.The buffet was a real disaster.

Room Tip: Ask to see menu before you book
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gary O
SharmaAnuj, General Manager at The African Tulip, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear Mr. Gary O

Thank you for sharing feedback on this forum.

First & foremost I would like to sincerely apologize for your disappointment at the buffet.
We wish to clarify that during the weekends we organize Theme Based Buffet Dinners and keep on changing the themes and cuisines with their respective menus on a very promotional price so that it suits all budgets plus an option of A la carte menu is available throughout as well.
We have noted from your comments that you did not like the dishes on the Fusion Buffet Theme served on 17 December, 2011. I wish you brought this to the attention of the Restaurant manager, who should have been able to offer you an alternative from our A’la carte menu.
We do apologize for the inconveniences caused to you on that day and do hope you will accord us the opportunity in the near future to “set things right”.

Please let me know when you can visit again.

The African Tulip team is known for best service standards in guest satisfaction and friendly service at all times.

Sincerely
ANUJ SHARMA
GENERAL MANAGER
Harare, Mashonaland East, Zimbabwe
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I had initially failed to find a room in the hotel as it was fully booked but the management went the extra mile to find me suitable alternative accommodation at another reputable hotel until rooms were available. The hotel management and employees went the extra mile throughout our stay to tend to our every need and ensure we are comfortable. The welcome my sister and I received on beginning our four night stay was memorable and heartfelt. The GM treated us like near-royalty and the in-house jewellery shop boasted excellent Tanzanite jewellery and unparalleled service, added a nice touch. A careful attention to detail is apparent in the hotel's ambience. The hotel's common areas are inviting and comfortable, yet offering the privacy and assurance of home. Our twin room was spacious, tastefully adorned and meticulously clean. My sister adored the bathroom and I felt the restaurant was a delight. Room service was a bit slow but I think it was intentionally crafted to encourage patrons to dine in the restaurant! . We had travelled to Arusha for my graduation and little did we know that it would turn into a mini vacation. Our stay was certainly too short. Bravo African Tulip! My instincts about the Hotel were fulfilled and exceeded.

Room Tip: Pick a room as far from the generator as possible
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Freeport, Maine
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Booked this hotel through an online "discount" website. Price shown and paid was quite high, even after the supposed "discount". I'm sure we could have paid less had we booked directly. Was also expecting a larger room, but we were given a very basic small room with queen sized bed. Bed was very hard. It was ok, but certainly not the space we expected compared to what we paid.

Hotel is very clean and comfortable. Staff will offer help with whatever you need (almost to the point of pestering....the manager kept hovering around us....but we understand he was just doing his job). Owners/management appear to be from India, so the food in the Baobab restaurant has an Indian influence, but the chef is from Belgium. There were power issues and the power went out several times. Apparently this is very normal, as power shortages due to water shortages (hydro electric system) is the accepted way of life here. The pool is very small and the water was cold, so we didn't swim.

No fault of the hotel, but just a general warning for anybody who may be thinking of exploring the surrounding area.....After many days of sitting in vehicles on safari and not being able to do much walking on our own, we were really looking forward to exploring the City of Arusha on foot and getting some dinner once we arrived at the hotel. When we arrived at 5:20 pm, we asked upon check-in about places to go and eat, and were told that since it gets dark by 6:00 pm we would not be permitted to go anywhere off the property due to our personal security. This was very disappointing, so we were forced to stay inside the hotel and eat at their restaurant which was buffet style....several options to choose from, but not really what we had in mind. We felt very cooped up, nothing for us to do in the evening except sit in our room. We booked the extra night in Arusha specifically so we could see some sights and experience some local food, but this ended up being not possible, so that part of our trip was very disappointing. Again, not the fault of the hotel, but just a heads up to future travellers that you cannot go outside after 6:00 pm. Since it gets dark so early, no matter what time of year it is, it makes for a verrryyy loooonnng evening. We were told by the manager that the only way to go out is with an armed guard, but at the time (November 2011) this service is not available at this hotel, but they are working on making this service available in the near future!

The next morning, we were able to hire a local guide and go to a few markets, but even then during the day, we were being followed and surrounded by strange people, some of which were clearly up to no good. Our guide said something to each of these people and usually they then left us alone. Not sure how we would have fared on our own.

African Tulip hotel is a clean and safe place to stay, with finishings comparable to any large major American or Euopean hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MobyV
SharmaAnuj, Manager at The African Tulip, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear Moby V,

I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback on this forum.

We wish to categorically clarify that at the time you here, as well as a few weeks ago, tourists were being continuously attacked in the town near the bridge not far from the Clock Tower area about 3 blocks from where our hotel is situated so we were just exercising caution for the sake of safety of our clients.

We are sorry you felt cooped. We were concerned for your safety and just stressed on the fact that it was not safe at the time to walk after 6.00PM. Options to use a taxi and go out whether to see the town or dine out still existed, but just walking after 6.00PM was not safe.

Unfortunately, we do not have armed guards to escort clients for walking outside the premises.

Also to clarify; in the weekends, our Baobab Restaurant usually serves Theme Based Buffet dinners with an option of A’la Carte menu. The A’la Carte menu, which is available throughout the week, has: Continental dishes (Belgian, Kenyan and Tanzanian Chefs), Indian dishes (Indian Chefs) and local dishes (Kenyan and Tanzanian Chefs).

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

The African Tulip Team is known for best service standards in the guests’ satisfaction and friendly service at all times.

Warm regards,