“Great hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Great hotel, very spacious room. Staff was very attentive and kind. Good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Denver, CO
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Only negative is I don't see a reason for wi-fi or the business center to be so expensive. It should be a free service to clients.
Restaurant is very good with very attentative wait staff. Front desk very helpful. Bar (or poolside) is a nice place to unwind.
Would stay again although its a bit more luxury than I require.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank travelbuddies_10
Paris, France
Reviewed September 10, 2011

my family and me kom back again the food is very great pork chops tender and nice flavor grilled service good and very nice swiming pool the reception is very good and the parking very easy nice trip and and kom back again internet 10 dollars for 24h is not expensif i give the recommendation for all tourist go for one safari in tanzania

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nicolas R
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed 1 night here prior to beginning our safari. It was a very comfortable hotel with very nice and clean rooms and grounds. I would recommend to anyone. One thing to be aware of, there bar/restaurant menu is in TZS and if you want to pay by credit card they convert it to dollars with an exchange rate of 1600TZS per $1. I thought it was a little weird that they didn't run the credit card in TZS in which case you would get the bank rate of exchange.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2011

So many things are right at this hotel but unfortunately some poor service genuinely spoilt our stay.

The location is ideal - out of the hustle of the main streets but still very accessible. The building itself is very pretty, a charismatic well-kept ex-colonial residence. There is a lounge, a gift shop and a substantial restaurant. A small but tastefully kept pool is overlooked by an appropriately-sized bar. There is free internet and the rooms we stayed in were spacious with a substantial balcony. It is of course very clean and well-appointed.

With a property like this you expect welcoming service. While it was on occasion, some of it was openly hostile involving the manager, who actually confronted us and was in direct confilct with one of our party. This not only seemed highly odd but unacceptable and ruined what otherwise would have been a pleasant stay.

We dined at the restaurant. This has a spiit menu, with French/western dishes and Indian dishes. There are two chefs, one for either half, and it shows. The French side was quite interesting, engaging even, and when one of my friends had a query about the description of the sauce the chef (who appeared to be actually bona-fide French) voluntarily came out, unnecesarily apologetically, explained and actually provided more of the sauce - impressive. The Indian chef, on the other hand, actually undercooked his chicken dishes to the point where they were still raw except for the outside- not something I would recommend eating. I have no issues with raw beef when appropriate, I hate when lamb isn't pink and bloody, but I can't think of a situation when chicken should be eaten raw. This was not from lack of time either as it took over an hour for our mains to come out. When we mentioned it to the waitress she said she would tell the chef, and the appropriate dishes were returned to the kitchen and back to the table, still raw. We tried to eat around the raw parts but it was impossible. We were not permitted to send the dishes back as such. The chef never dared to show his face that night despite our direct request (but definitely exists as we saw him the next morning at breakfast). It wasn't as if he was particularly busy as everyone else I saw there (4-5 people) had ordered western-style meals.

We complained to the manager, who actually managed to get in an argument with the member of our party who raised the issue. There was quite a heated conversation (which was embarassing to say the least) and the manager said he would investigate. He then came up to the room she was in, arguing further and denying that the chef knew anything about it. The aggression continued to the next morning. I had not seen anything like it at a hotel before anywhere, upper end or lower end, Africa or otherwise.

The hotel is very proud of its TripAdvisor status and so it is a shame that it has to be mentioned in this forum but it was highly bizarre. It is unfortunate that I will not be able to return to that beautiful building but the previous experience with service was so formative that unfortunately I won't.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank divvy_l
ssp56, Manager at The African Tulip, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Dear Divvy_I,

Thank you for the post that you have made on this forum.

As the General manager of this hotel, I want to thank you for appreciating the work that has been put into making this hotel what it is. I also understand from your post certain elements of the service provided to you where not in line with the hotel of our standard. For this, we are sincerely very apologetic of what you endured. This is unlike what The African Tulip is all about.

For the purpose of readers on this forum and yourself, I wish to advice you that we take service delivery at our hotel very seriously and all necessary steps are taken to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us. The incident you have indicated in this forum did occur in June 2011 and it did primarily involve the Duty manager at the time. On my knowledge the following morning, this matter was discussed, all necessary precautions and counseling was done and a new system has been put in place to ensure that something like this does not occur again.

Finally, I would like to assure you that this was one isolated incident that does not do justice to you as a guest and a team of friendly and dedicated staff that we have at The African Tulip.

We do hope that during your next visit to Arusha, you will still give us an opportunity to host you.

Sincerely

Anuj Sharma
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Entering from a nondescript side street off a main road through town, The African Tulip is a welcome treat inside. Although I was surprised that there was no lift, climbing the stairs to my 3rd floor room was worth the comfort that awaited me. My room seemed vast with a just-right, king-size bed--not too soft, not too firm. The decor was inviting with a flat-screen TV over the desk with some English-language channels and a very large bathroom just inside the entrance. The large soaking tub also included a well-designed shower. My room also had a large bay window which let in lots of welcome light during the day with a large window seat beneath.

I happened to be in Arusha during a very bad drought, one result of which was constant power outages. The hotel coped well with the disruptions, and generator-power was restored quickly, so that we were never without electricity for more than a couple minutes at a time.

Service was excellent at the front desk and in the restaurants. Only once did a server seem to bristle when asked if we could charge our lunch to 3 separate room numbers. The indoor and outside dining areas are all inviting and comfortable, although I would not want to be using the swimming pool when lunch is being served immediately around its perimeter.

There is not much of interest in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Having just arrived from Australia, I needed to get some cash from an ATM, and luckily there was a Barclay's bank just a short walk down the road. Otherwise, there was not much shopping or other services in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This is a nice enough, smallish hotel on a quiet road in the north-eastern part of the town, not far from the city centre and within (safe) walking distance (at night) of a non-member club and another hotel with multiple restaurants.
The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable, like 5* international hotels. You pay usd 10,00 for 24-hr. internet service.
When choosing your hotel in Arusha, bear in mind where you want to be and go. Arusha is not a large town by any means, but traffic is atrocious especially at rush hour. Beware of the small buses; they will overtake left, right, and if possible… centre! And the roads, apart from the main ones, are an experience best forgotten.
The staff are very friendly and attentive, in keeping with Tanzanian tradition. But the bowing and scraping by the two Indian managers can be a little overpowering, although they mean well. I enjoyed the excellent service from all departments.
The restaurant offers good, wholesome à la carte meals. However, the so-called Chinese buffet offered one evening had nothing to do with China other than the name.
There is excellent safe parking available.
I was here for a whole week and almost felt at home. You can’t think of a better compliment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo