“Great place in Arusha”

Arusha Safari Lodge
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stumbled onto this gem in Arusha during a business trip as everything in town was sold out. It's a little way out of town but the short journey is most definitely worth it. Fantastic rooms, service and food. Great verandha to dine under the stars and excellent breakfast. Very friendly owners who were happy to help with other arrangements such as airport transfers.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 15, 2014

A great place for the final moment of luxury before climbing Kilimanjaro, and a great incentive to know this is what we were coming back to after 6 days of climbing with no facilities! Our group of 14 had the place to ourselves and marvelous dinners in the dining hall in the main house. Be prepared the electricity is intermittent and there are geckos in the cottages, but this is not an air conditioned, 5 star hotel rather it is a colonial property full of character providing a memorable setting for such an intrepid visit. Only a shame we couldn't have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stopped over for a business trip to Kilimanjaro, really nice place to stay, the food on the night I stayed was served as buffet, the meat was cooked to perfection and the breakfast in the morning was hearty and plenty of it.
Would stay again as the staff are friendly and the food was good.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

From the second we arrived to when we left, felt like we were a member of the family. Excellent food, amazing service and accommodation. Perfect for unwinding!!!

Chef Alex and partner Rebecca v knowledgeable about locale and recommendations. Staff amazing

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Loved this place!!!! And would give it more stars if I could!! My friend and I stayed here after climbing Kilimanjaro a few weeks ago and it was perfect!! Such a relaxing, beautiful place to be!! The owners are very welcoming and accommodating. The cottage we stayed in was spacious and adorable!! I will definitely stay here again when I return to Tanzania!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rebecca P
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have stayed at Arusha Safari Lodge a number of time over the last few years and every time I go back it gets better and better. Alex and Rebecca have really turned things around since they took over the management of this beautiful retreat on the outskirts of Arusha.

My most recent visit was one of the best so far, I stayed for two nights in January after a safari to unwind! The lodge itself is beautiful, the staff friendly and the surroundings breathtaking. The management have introduced a massive vegetable garden ensuring all their veggies are amazingly fresh!

It's great to lounge by the pool with a book on a hot day, go for a walk around the garden or when it's cold enjoy the wood fireplaces in the bedrooms and main area.

I will definitely be going back again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewMorganPhoto
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed in Arusha Safari Lodge twice during our trip to Kili. Our choice was based on TripAdvisor reviews, which, unfortunately for us, by some reason,did not reflect the real picture.

Important: when you are getting a taxi, make sure, your driver knows exactly where he's going, because the lodge is located a bit outside of town. Once you hear ''maybe'' or ''i think''- try to find someone who sounds more confident.

Pool area and its open terrace look quite nice and clean. We enjoyed spending the daytime just chilling out on the sunbeds. I also appreciated the fact, that after lunchtime, the terrace was set up as an afternoon tea unit, where you could enjoy coffee, tea and some bakery.

There are just a few cute lodges, which look like individual cottages. The decoration is very simple and the overall condition definitely need some improvement ( the cushion seats are fully stained, some of the lamps don't work, the mosquito net protecting the sleeping bed is so dirty with nasty stains, there are spider webs, dead flies and dust all around the windows etc.)

In the entire room there was only one electrical outlet, which worked, and it was located against the wall- below the bed. Consequently, if you want to charge something, you have to crawl under the bed to access the plug. This is ridiculous...

Before leaving for Kili climb, we asked the management to store our belongings while we are away. I don't know, where they stored it, but when our bags came back, the clothes inside smelled really bad...

We went for a little stroll to explore the garden surrounding the lodge and were disappointed to realize, that there was a trash in the bushes, piles of plastic bottles and bags just in the open. Overall, it wasn't very pleasant.

All the flaws described above indicate, that the management is either not doing its job or isn't training the staff properly. They could have asked people to pick up the trash, could have verified, that the rooms are clean and tidy...

Talking about the staff training: I realize, that we are in Arusha in the middle of Africa and not in a five star hotel, but still there are basic skills , which we expect from such a highly rated hotel staff. For example, we had lunch three times in the hotel and every time we asked what the soup of the day was, the waiter seemed lost and had to run all across the lodge to the kitchen to ask. Twice, we placed an order for a sandwich only to see the waiter come back half an hour later, telling us, that this sandwich was no longer available for that day. Overall, the staff is friendly, but they just need to be more professional. But this, of course, depends on the quality of the management.

I wasn't impressed by the way the couple is managing the lodge (i saw only woman; her husband only appeared once when he had his breakfast next to us). I read all other reviews and praises and, honestly, I didn't experienced this at all. On the contrary. In the evening of our last day, we learned that our flight back home scheduled next morning was cancelled. We had to make urgently other arrangements and asked the woman managing the lodge for help and advice. She was really not very helpful and only gave us few names of alternative airlines flying to Arusha ( some of them- we found out later- are not even operating anymore) and proposed us to use her cell phone. And she left...

It was 9pm. We had no specific numbers to call, no clue how to deal with such situations in a place like Arusha and no knowledge where to buy the ticket at such a late hour. We were hoping for a management to assist us, but... NOTHING.

We finely managed- completely on our own!- to identify available airline, make a reservation, arrange a taxi driver to take us to Arusha at 10pm where we had to bring cash in order to transfer the money to the airline (because the purchasing an air ticket for the next morning with a credit card was not possible).

Since the moment the woman manager gave us her phone, we didn't see her ever again. We left her phone with the receptionist. Even the next morning, when we checked out, noone from the management was present, and noone required if we resolved our situation.

Overall, with a tighter management, Arusha Safari lodge could be a nice place. In the meantime- average.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank madinadubai
BeccaArusha, Owner at Arusha Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Madina

Thanks for your review of Arusha Safari Lodge and we appreciate the initial kind words regarding the pool and the cottages.

However we are very upset to hear that you did not in general enjoy your time here, this is so disappointing as we really want all of our guests to be happy. We always take any feedback seriously and we appreciate comments to help improve our lodge.

In response to your comments regarding the cleanliness and maintenance of the rooms, we apologise that this was not to your satisfaction, since reading your review, we have discussed the issues raised with the housekeeping staff and will be doing stringent checks to make sure that they clean the windows etc better.
We are now approaching low season, this is our annual time where we focus on routine maintenance of the rooms, the issues you have raised will be fixed.

In the room that you stayed in there are 3 electrical outlets, had you mentioned it to us that 2 were not working, we would have sent maintenance in to fix them, sorry but we were not aware of this.

In response to your comments regarding your clothes smelling after you left luggage with us, I honestly cannot think why this would have happened, we store all luggage in the office where we both work daily, we have the windows open in the day time and it does not smell, maybe the clothes were damp / unclean when you put them in there? we never have had anybody mention this before.

The comments about the trash including the picture that you have put on there, I feel are a little misleading, there is certainly not trash all over the lodge, you have taken a photo of our rubbish dump which is not located in the main public area of the lodge. Apologies that you walked into that area but we do need to stress that this is NOT in the main hotel. in Tanzania, waste disposal is a tricky area, most people burn waste, but we find that burning plastic is certainly not good, however a few months ago we found a project which is recycling items and this "trash" issue that you mention is no longer there. We also have a dedicated staff member who picks up any rubbish that is located within the lodge.

I am upset to hear that you were not happy with the service that you received, we really never get any complaints about this, actually it is usually the opposite. However the comments you have made about not knowing what the soup is and what is not available etc we have taken onboard and trained the relevant staff members accordingly.

I am most upset about the comments you make about us, we are not only the managers of the lodge but 2 of the owners, this is a family business and our livelihood therefore guest satisfaction is incredibly important to us.

I am sorry that you feel that in the situation of your flight being cancelled, that I did "nothing" , when in fact I lent you my personal lap top to search for flights, I helped to call airlines, I organized a car for you to take you to the airport (which you then told me to cancel as you wanted to book your own driver), I even offered to move your booking from here to our sister lodge that is located at the airport with no charge so that you could be close to there, but you declined. It was 9pm as you say, so I cannot really think what more I could have done apart from go to the airport myself, I assume this is what you were expecting.
It is perfectly understandable that you would have had more contact with me (Rebecca) than my husband as I am responsible for the front of house and my husband is in charge of the kitchen, while I was helping you, he would have been cooking dinner for your self and the other guests.

Apologies that I was not there when you checked out the following morning but our working day is usually from 8am until around 9pm so if you checked out very early, sorry that we missed you.

Regards
Rebecca, Alex and the Arusha Safari Lodge team.