“A nice place to recover after a LONG Flight from N America”

and 1 more site!
Rivertrees Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Citrus Heights, California
“A nice place to recover after a LONG Flight from N America”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Picked up at Kilimanjaro Airport after a long flight. Then was taken to River trees to recover. A perfect spot to rest. for an Africa Safari trip to the Serengeti for a two week adventure. Every single room on this property is placed in an awesome location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise169

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Wem, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Rivertrees is close to Arusha, but far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle which can become a little wearing. We received a warm welcome here when we arrived earlier than expected, late morning. We chilled in the afternoon, and enjoyed the gardens although they are not as extensive as previous descriptions had led us to believe. Still, we saw huge numbers of birds, including the resident Eagle Owls, butterflies and monkeys.

The room we were allocated was just fine, very African. We welcomed hot showers, mosquito net ceiling fan and plenty of space.

Rivertrees has a new manager and he outlined plans for (re)development to Rivertrees which we think is just about due. In fact, the property was closing for six weeks after we left to make a start on these.

The food was good, although the choice was a little limited, possibly because they were due to close as mentioned above. On the day there were plenty of locals eating in the restaurant and gardens so the local reputation is obviously fine.

Would we come back, yes. Would we recommend Rivertrees to friends. Yes.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms close to the road at the top of the property. Some of the locals have motor b...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew W
seattle, wa
Reviewed April 22, 2014

After flying from Seattle (about 23 hours total travel) it was really nice to be greeted at the Kilimanjaro airport and taken directly to Rivertrees, only about a 45 minute drive from the airport. Since we had 5 weeks in Africa, I thought a couple of days chilling out would be a fine way to start.

Room was quite nice, good bed, bathroom with shower and toilet and a separate bathroom with a huge soaking tub. Nice patio furniture outside to relax. Had a pool, which oddly enough we did not go into.

My 10 year old son and I walked around the pretty good sized grounds a couple of times, loved the monkeys. Staff was really sweet, helpful, and great with my kid. Seemed like most of the folks staying there were about to take off and climb Kilimanjaro - climbers are usually very friendly and happy and these definitely were.

On our second day, we found ourselves itching to "get into Africa" so I got some help from the staff and managers (a lovely young couple). They hooked us up with our first mini safari. Driver came and fetched us at the lodge, drove us to Arusha National Park, entrance of which was only a couple of miles away, but it was a long drive to the actual park from the highway. Yes, it's small and I don't think it would have been as cool if we visited after the Serengeti…but as a little time filler introduction, it was well worth it. I think we paid about 90 usd for the driver for the day. We went to the park and took a 2 hour walking safari. Our guide, Sande, was really knowledgeable and friendly. He took us on a nice long walk. We got really up close and personal with some giraffe, buffalo, baboons, zebra etc. He knew a lot about the local plants and their uses by the local people. We went to a really lovely waterfall and lounged about for a bit.

I also got up early every morning and walked. The lodge is just off a dirt road (mainly pedestrian) that parallels the big highway. This is where the local villagers walk back and forth to work. I met a lot of people, got to test out my big 50 word vocabulary of Kiswahili. A great way to start the day. The school kids walking to school thought I was quite amusing. "where are you going?" nowhere, just walking "why are you go so fast?" exercise "if you have nowhere to go, why are you in such a hurry?" I could see their minds trying to cogitate why I was so intent on burning calories for no reason.

Well, the food was really good and plentiful, so I had to burn calories. One thing I did enjoy was that they had some local dishes on the menu for dinner every night. Most of the places we stayed on the trip did not. I enjoyed them.

Overall, really nice. Kind of isolated. Other than my morning walks and a couple of walks into the town of Usa and the Arusha National Park trip, there is really nothing to do. Good for a couple of days to adjust to the time change and chill out before heading off into the main event.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank eilythia
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was the first place I stayed on my trip to Tanzania, and it was a great introduction. There were things I liked about it and things that I found less enjoyable. The huts are huge with a hot shower and comfortable mosquito netted king size beds. A bit rustic, but this is Africa and it only added to the experience. The whole complex is beautiful, and I found it compelling.

The food was good, but I found breakfast a bit disappointing. They put the food out, and you just took what you wanted. That was fine, but they were often out of different things and they didn't seem to make an effort to keep track of what was running low. They'd put more out if you told them about it, but of course it took a while to cook it.

They make a wood fired pizza there for dinner, and the gentleman that makes the pizza is friendly and I really enjoyed talking with him. In fact, during a conversation with him, he pointed to the open area behind us, and there were about 10 Vervet monkeys playing together. One young one was quite a troublemaker, sneaking up on his unsuspecting friends, and jumping on them, then running away.

Wi-Fi signal was basically non-existent in the hut, but was pretty good in the main dining hut.

There isn't a lot to do there, so I suggest only staying there if you are looking for a very relaxing stay or if you have a car and plan to get out during the day. Oh, they do have a bar.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Rob33444
RivertreesGM, General Manager at Rivertrees Country Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Rob33444,
Many thanks for sharing your experience at Rivertrees Country Inn. Every feedback, good or bad, is very important to us as it helps us to spot our strengths and weaknesses, improve our service and finally reach our goal: making sure our guests are enjoying an unforgettable stay!
I am glad you enjoyed our famous pizzas but I am sorry to hear your disappointment about our breakfast: more attention is definitely given to what is for me the most important meal of the day.
As you mentioned the wifi signal is really good in the public areas; during the closing period in April we have upgraded our network and we are now very happy to be able to offer wifi in all rooms!
Guests are usually enjoying the garden, the relaxing atmosphere of Rivertrees and our funny local residents (Vervet & Blue Monkeys!) but we are lucky to be very close to several points of interests such as the Arusha National Park, the Lake Duluti and Coffee Plantations, and we are hoping to entice more people with those activities that can easily be arranged through our office.
Anyway Rob I hope you had a beautiful Tanzanian experience; thanks again for your contribution and as we say here “Karibu Tena” (welcome again).
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Loved this place and would have stayed longer if our intention wasn't to move on into the serengeti. It's perfect if your doing just a day long safari in either Arusha NP, Tangire or Lake manyara and don't want to move around for your accomodations. The grounds were beautiful and we loved watching the playful Vervet monkeys, who were still shy enough to stay away from the dining areas. The rooms were very nice with comfortable beds. They have a pool, but I didn't try it. The food was very tasty too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Koalatastic
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here for just one night before safari in November 2013 and loved it. The rooms are simply, yet beautifully decorated with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on while traveling. The bathroom is modern and spacious with a great, long cement tub. Dinner was very tasty, breakfast offered a broad, filling variety with great omelettes. The lounge area is rustic, while cushy and comfortable and a cold drink is never far away. The service was responsive and very friendly. Rivertrees is in between the airport and the busier center of Arusha so if you want to shop and eat in Arusha, it's a ways away and taxis are expensive. However, if you want stay put and relax, sleep well, and be in a quiet, lush setting with good food, Rivertrees is the place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JBNYC2DC
travelerewl
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed here for two nights prior to starting an eight day safari to the Serengeti. Tucked away off the main road to Arusha, we were in a secluded little paradise. Our room was part of a triplex building with three adjoining rooms. It was huge, with a large bed, enormous bathroom, and plenty of space to spread out. I just wish there had been two chairs comfortable for lounging. Our room was not far from the main dining and lounge area. Each evening the turndown staff sprayed our room for mosquitos and spread the mosquito netting around our bed. Neither of us was bit by mosquitos at night. The first time one of us took a shower, the drain didn't work well and we had water everywhere, but when we told the staff, the manager was there on the spot taking care of it. The shower drain worked perfectly after that.
We could eat outside in the shade of some trees or under the enormous thatched roof. Each evening while we were there, they had a fire in a pit outside. The smoke helped chase the mosquitos away. The food was good, very fresh and had good flavor. Breakfasts were buffet style and they were more than adequate. I won't say the breads did anything for me, but of course, that didn't stop me from eating them. We each had a pizza for lunch one day and learned that sharing would have been a better idea. They were good pizzas, not great, but certainly more that I was expecting so far away.
I'd definitely recommend this resort to anyone going on safari as a perfect place to relax after a long journey.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends