“Poor Construction/Quality & Customer Service”
Review of SG Premium Resort

SG Premium Resort
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Dallas, Texas
“Poor Construction/Quality & Customer Service”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Despite the good reviews and new construction of the hotel, it was a complete disappointment! Three of us climbed Kilimanjaro and then did a 4 day safari and had no issues with the camping arrangements on Kili or the hotels on the safari, but SG Premium was a different story.

The first room had a bath tub in the bedroom (not in the bathroom) - that would not work for very well for most travelers! The WIFI in the hotel did not work for the first 4 hours at the hotel despite a few visits to the front desk and continually getting new WIFI codes and waiting for the IT employee who was suppose to come to my room to rectify the issue (and never came). After wasting 2 hours waiting for this employee, I tried to take a shower in the tiny shower (which was in the bathroom) and when I removed the showerhead handle the connector to the shower wall came removed from the wall since it was not attached appropriately (see photo). This is a good example of the VERY poor construction and quality that was done on this very new hotel. That meant yet another visit to the front desk and the group of employees at the front desk did not want to deal with the WIFI and shower issue, and preferred to socialize with one another rather than address the customer service issue. I finally had to ask for an employee to see our room and shower. After being told that there were no other rooms to move into, I escalated it to a supervisor and we finally were moved a hour later to another room.

Unfortunately the second room was not much better. The good news is that the shower was operational. The bad news is that: 1) the bottom of the shower was not caulked on one side which resulted in the entire bathroom being flooded with 1/2" of dirty shower water, and 2) the door into the bathroom when closed would turn off the lights in the bathroom (the light switch was a toggle on/off and located right next to the bathroom door jam, and thus toggled it consistently from on to off), so to keep the lights on you either did not close the bathroom door more than 2/3 of the way or you asked someone staying in the room to turn the light back on after closing the door (this design was so poor it was funny!). Many additional areas of the new hotel room were poorly designed, installed, not painted, chipped, broken, etc. (see photos).

I asked the manager for a discount on the $149 rate we paid on the room due to the 3 hours I wasted between the WIFI and shower/room change issue, and was told no. Customer service is completely lacking in this hotel!!

On a positive note, we had dinner in the hotel atrium and the food was good and reasonably priced. The included breakfast buffet was also nice.

I would avoid this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brad A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I were part of a large group that stayed here two days before and 1 day after climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. It was a very pleasant surprise arriving here after two days of travel. The rooms were lovely with some nice options (tub/shower combo & shower only BOTH in the bathroom, flat screen TV with plenty of international channels, and bottled water in the room). The staff was extremely helpful in carrying our luggage and helping us to our room. The restaurant on site was also really nice with a large breakfast & dinner buffet.

When we returned from our summit, the FIRST thing we wanted was a nice hot shower. We got checked into our room, and found that we didn't have any hot water. I know that this can happen sometimes, so we got dressed and went downstairs. I notified the lady at the front desk, but apparently, the call on her cell phone was way more important. She turned her head aside and said she would call for the technician. I proceeded to ask her a few more questions, but she couldn't be bothered to answer them. I didn't know if we needed to stay there, or be in our room, and also wasn't able to get any type of suggestions or time estimations.

We went to dinner (still dirty from 8 days on the trail) and hoped it would be amended by the time we got back in our room. It was not. We ended up having to use the electric teapot in our room to heat up some water, scrub a bit and then rinse off.

Other than that, there was no door to the bathroom and there was no counter space in the bathroom where you could sit anything. We had to put things on the counter of the tub.

It's a nice place, our experience after the mountain was just a little disappointing. Front desk staff needs some customer service training - we were not the only members of our team that she snubbed to continue talking on her mobile phone.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 1-3rd floor. They are closer to being finished and have more amenities.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andi S
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have stayed at SG Resort in the past, but recently it has enjoyed a reincarnation. Building work continues but is not intrusive. The hotel is beyond my usual budget, but for the level of comfort, service and access is good value at $75 per night for a single traveller.

The entrance to the spacious hotel car park from the road is inauspicious, and the doorway into the hotel is temporary. An adjacent new reception area is under construction and should be completed by the end of 2014. As a wheelchair user I hate steps higher than about 12cm. The temporary entrance has a single 15cm step, and a nearby alternate entrance via the dining room has a slightly lower step. It would be no problem for the hotel to place temporary ramps. But the new reception entrance, when finished, will be level and easily accessible.

From the current entrance granite tiled passageways lead past the dining room and across a lobby to the current reception – a wheelchair speedway. Food and drinks can also be taken in a large open courtyard flanked by a bar. A new and gently inclined ramp leads down into the courtyard. It is usable but awaits its tile finish. Two more gentle ramps marked by black chequered tiles lead up to a washroom and into the lobby.

It is only within the last few metres to my ground floor room (No 110) that the tiles give way to a deep carpet that slows my wheelchair. The door width (c 800mm) is adequate and the card entry works well. As is the way now, the card has to be lodged in a holder inside the doorway to activate power in the room. This does mean that if you have equipment like cameras and laptop that eat batteries, then they can only be charged when you are in the room – unless you are a couple and can claim two cards. The room is large, about 5 x 5 metres, and not cluttered with furniture. There is a 36 inch flat-screen TV and lots of power-points. The bed is a large and comfortable double. A kettle, coffee, tea and creamer are provided, and two bottles of water that are replaced each day if used. The floor is faux-wood, ideal for the wheelchair. The bathroom is not designed for wheelchair use, but the door was also wide enough to allow my manual wheelchair to reach the toilet. The shower is over the bath, but fortunately I have no problem in transferring in and out of a bath.

East Africa has lots of fading grand hotels, and the higher-tech the fittings, the harder they are to maintain. The room numbers in the corridor are illuminated with backlighting. The room lighting, automatic bathroom fan, fittings and tiles are of good quality (though perhaps not the grouting) – but the future will tell if these fixtures can be maintained. For example if the bath pipework needs to be accessed, then a tile will have to be broken. The arrays of wall switches demand a little research – I was able to sleep once I had worked out that the switch that turns off the concealed blue ceiling light disables the roaring air conditioner.

The buffet breakfast offers a good choice of the expected cooked foods – beans, eggs, sausages, bacon, chapati, cassava. Service is a little over-attentive for me, but that is personal taste. Staff are all friendly and helpful. The dishes I tried on the evening menu were fine while not exceptional. I had clothes washed at the standard rate, promised as a 24 hour service, and was amazed to get them back well dried and ironed just two hours later. There are half a dozen or so secured and unsecured wireless routers, so users will need to switch from one to another eg if moving from room to restaurant. There are also a couple of internet-enabled desktops for use in the lobby. There is alos a swimming pool, screened from the car park by a hedge. it looks well cared for, but two steps prevented my reaching it.

The hotel’s location is commented on elsewhere. It is not the best place for exploring on foot or wheels, situated about 2km from town, and a further km from the clocktower that marks the old centre. Of course taxis are plentiful and inexpensive. I usually only stop in Arusha in transit from Nairobi to points west, so a three-day stay is unusual. But once the rain stopped in the mornings, I have wheeled in and out of town safely. The main road outside SG has a wide enough tarmacked margin and the boda bodas – motorcycle taxis – are benign compared to their uncouth counterparts in Kampala and elsewhere. One of the delights of Arusha, for me, are the roadside sellers of plants and trees. Their plots have developed into broad ribbons of well-tended park-like garden along the main Namanga- Moshi road on which SG is situated, and down Simeon Rd which drops from the main road to the Impala Hotel on the other side of town.

As far as I know SG Resort does not advertise itself as wheelchair-friendly. But since the hotel is already, perhaps unintentionally, so accessible, I would like to recommend to management that they adapt one or two of the already spacious ground floor rooms so that the bathrooms are usable to a wider range of people with physical disabilities. The appropriate bathroom/ shower specifications are easy enough to find on the internet and in Building Regulations, and the adaptations would be simple. The accessible rooms should remain as doubles, so that partners could still share the spaces. Then the hotel could genuinely advertise itself as wheelchair accessible.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed here one night before climbing Kilimanjaro (with Climb Kili) and two nights after coming down. I was much more keen on the hotel after the climb/camping!

The hotel is clean and functional for a mid-range hotel but is still under construction. Some of the facilities are a bit odd - bath in the middle of the room - and basics like the shower and air conditioning were not working on the first night.

Restaurant is not bad with a reasonable selection.

On the return trip not only were we given a room with functioning a/c but also functioning shower!

I guess the luck is in the draw of room.

Wifi is free.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jereemee
London
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed here during a business trip in March 2014 but i've also visited a year previously also for work. The building work is still ongoing but it's not disruptive. The rooms are nicely furnished and clean with international tv (although sometimes some of the channels don't work). The staff are friendly. The hotel is set back from the road so you can't hear any traffic noise. There is a small pool with seating area, a restaurant, good wifi and a computer with free internet in reception. The restaurant food could be better, some of the food is too salty. Overall a nice place to stay whilst in Arusha and i will happily stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Emma W
Orem, Utah
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The staff is great. They help you at your level of need. The food is pretty good but not the highest rated in Arusha. The rooms are comfortable with wifi service. The location is reasonable to various points in the city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Harrington, Washington
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed here the night before and after climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with Climb Kili! Very nice hotel. It is still under construction but that did not affect my stay. My room was clean. I only ate breakfast there. They had a nice spread with fruits, crepes, omelets, french toast and more. A nice simple pool to swim in and a nice open sitting dining area in the middle. I marked very good on many things as I was not sure about what the accommodations would be in Africa. Guest services were friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends