“Hotel Good. Beware Bellman.”

East African All Suite Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
ottawa, on
“Hotel Good. Beware Bellman.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here one night before heading out on a safari. The rooms are very comfortable, the pool area pleasant to sit and enjoy a drink, and they were featuring a BBQ buffet on the night we were there. All in all we were quite pleased with this hotel. We felt we received good value for the cost. Just one incident marred our stay. The owner and his driver of our safari company had arrived at the hotel to pick us up. They had presented themselves in the lobby, where I had chatted and confirmed with them that we were ready. They were waiting around the back corner of the hotel, as instructed by the management I velieve. As we exited our rooms we saw that there was a back entrance- easy steps- right to where their vehicle was parked. My husband went that direction with our luggage while I headed to reception to confirm that we were leaving. I handed the key to the girl on the desk, told her we'd paid our bill the night before and that we were checking out. She took the key from me and uttered a quiet thank you. So off I went- to go the back way to board the safari jeep. As I came around the corner the bellman was there, having gone out the front door and around to the back side, talking angrily to our safari guide. He then chastised me for not taking the luggage through the front door. I asked why I was supposed to do that necessarily and his only response was-"It's our custom". He'd been standing right there when I'd informed the desk clerk that we were leaving. He had his chance to speak then. He continued in his native language to argue with our guide. I felt badly for our guide who said not to worry. I'd already apologized but bellman never uttered any thank you or words of acceptance. It seemed to us that his motivation must have been the desire to get a tip. Why else would he chase after guests and harass them as well as the safari employees? I would stay at this hotel again. The gentleman who seemed to be the manager was very pleasant. He'd spoken to me just minutes prior to our leaving. I would keep my eye out though for the very tall, older man who was apparently the head bellman.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KatieVM
farid a, Manager at East African All Suite Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear valuable client,
Thank you for frank review highliting the shortcoming that you experienced .
the issue that you encountered in your recent stay is not typical of our staff behaviour and we have addressed it immediately.
once again please accept our sincere apologies for this most unfortunate incident.
we are committed to ensuring that all clients recieve excellent service from check in to check out.
we do hope that during your next visit to Arusha ,you will accord us an opportunity to host you once more to experience our true hospitality.
Kind Regards,
Farid Abdalla-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our family recently stayed for 3 weeks at this hotel in Arusha. It's often the people you remember the most when travelling, and I must say that the staff at the East African were amazing. They were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to ensure our stay was a comfortable one. The rooms were spacious (important for our family of 5), clean and comfortable, the pool was great for our kids, and the food was good as well (they even created a special menu for our kids). No complaints.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the roadside are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Paul G
Dear valuable client,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to our hotel with your family.
we are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed our hospitality , service and food.
we look forward to your return visit.

Thank you kindly.
Farid Abdalla-General Manager
Karatu, Tanzania
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the East African. The staff was warm and welcoming. The food was very good and the room(s) was spacious and comfortable. I especially liked that I could sit and relax in a room separate from the bedroom. Felt like home!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank India H
Nairobi
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We organized a 2 day conference for about 25 of our business partners and was not disappointed by the hotel. The service is great, the conference facilities are top notch and I was lucky to get a nice suite for a room...The hotel is also has a homey or family like feeling and I would not hesitate to bring my wife and daughter here in case we are visiting Dar es Salaam. For the size of the hotel, we got great value for our money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank twistax
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a delightful hotel at the central area of the city. The staff is wonderful,friendly and helpful. The rooms very comfortable and the food is good...Pay a visit when u get the chance whether for business or leisure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sasha A
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

From Andrew to Africa lovers :

I have been coming quite often to Arusha for business over the last 14 years.

I have stayed at various hotels in Arusha and concluded two years ago that East African All Suite Hotel is the best.

Management is excellent, the suites are clean and the food quite above average.

The price is just fare and the staff bahaves in a professional fashion. Security is perfect.

It is not a five star hotel but a good four one. You find good restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Always ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Andre T
Arusha
Reviewed December 13, 2011

i am a tour operator who brings clients to this small hotel. they are generally very pleased with hotel..i also stay at the hotel once in a while to just make sure that i am above board on the on goings here.. i am glad it is working well with good rates too.

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business