“Fit for purpose for Arusha layovers”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Outpost Lodge

and 1 more site!
Outpost Lodge
Ranked #6 of 101 Arusha B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fit for purpose for Arusha layovers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Totally acceptable hotel with decent, relatively clean rooms and a good kitchen. We stopped over here on our way to and from hiking up Kilimanjaro and for that purpose, Outpost lodge works fine. Its relatively close to the city if you decide to explore Arusha a little.

Room Tip: Try to get a room outside of the main building. The main building rooms are a bit worn and can be no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
Richards Bay, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

3 of us stayed at Outpost lodge a day before and after our Mt Kilimanjaro climb 1st week in October. I must say that our stay was pleasant, the atmosphere is so peaceful. I love the dining area, pool area and the little sitting area, it is so cozy. The rooms are spotless and we had a good stay. Only thing is that it would have been nice for the wifi to work in the rooms as well, but it was good reception at the pool area. Our luggage was stored away until we got back. The workers are friendly, and very helpful. Thank you, I definitely recommend anyone to stay here, not forgetting it is value for money.

1 Thank LLinda333
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at the Outpost Lodge two days prior to my Kili climb and then stayed another night before and then after my safari. I found the rooms very basic and clean, just as expected. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant had a very wide selection of options and I found every meal prepared very well. I would come back to Outpost Lodge and will recommend it to friends.

San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed for one night before we went out on safari. Grounds seemed safe, but all info given in the room said basically don't leave the grounds without security - as in don't even go to the bank a couple hundred meters down the street. Unlike most places in Tanzania, person who brought bags to room pretty much asked for a tip rather than just split the tip one usually leaves at end of stay that gets split communally. Room was basic, as said in other reviews. Pool was nice to soak our feet and sit around with a soda. Power went out for a while during the night, and believe they were burning trash or something as smelled of smoke for some of the night as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fisheaglepoint, Owner at Outpost Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to let us know about your stay at The Outpost.

We had no idea that staff carrying luggage to rooms were soliciting tips. There is, in fact, a central tip box which is split between all staff. We sincerely apologize that you were subject to this experience and we are following up to ensure that this habit does not continue.

It is not our intention to frighten guests into staying on our grounds and security to go out-and -about is certainly not necessary! Our notice in the rooms is intended purely as a reminder to be sensible.
Beauly, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here for two days before I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and a day after.

I arrived late at night and there was someone at reception to check me in & help carry the bags to my room. The room was basic but functional, and had all the amenities I required. I was on a backpacking trip so I wasn't looking for luxurious surroundings. The room could have benefitted from some renovation, the door didn't fit properly and there was a large gap underneath it that a small animal could have fitted through so I didn't feel particularly secure. Also the wifi service which was advertised was not available in my room, though the people next door could get it. I also had no hot water in the shower for the first two days, though I did in the basin.

I had a different room after the climb and it was much better. The door fitted properly, the room was better furnished and I had lots of hot water. I also got wifi in this room.

What you cannot escape in this establishment is the howling of the neighbourhood dogs at night . All three nights I stayed the nearby dogs howled and barked all night, so sleeping soundly was therefore ruled out and it made the area seem slightly intimidating.

I never used the pool so can't comment on that though I did see someone cleaning it every day. I also left luggage here while I climbed Kilimanjaro and it was held in a secure place and labelled etc.

The food at the B&B's cafe, Cafe Mambo, was good and the service was very reasonable. Our food arrived fairly quickly after being ordered and was hot and tasty. The menu was extensive and catered for all dietary requirements, prices were very reasonable and the staff were very pleasant.

Given I wasn't on a trip where I expected luxury then the accommodation was perfectly adequate and acceptable for my purpose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank EtiveGirl
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

The outpost lodge is used as a starting point for safaris or expeditions to Kilimanjaro. We stayed there for one night at the start and one night at the end of our safari. The rooms are very basic, reasonably clean but not well maintained. We waited for an hour after ordering food before it arrived and even then they got it wrong. When you rely on tour operators to book accommodation you are really at their mercy unless you know the area. I would not go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is not overlooking the kitchen area or you will get little sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Outpost lodge for 3 nights during our recent trip to Tanzania. It was a good and safe option to stay in Arusha and better than some of the other lodges we looked at, though nothing really special. The rooms were nice and clean. The bathroom was clean and big. Basic amenities were provided. Staff was quite helpful and helped us find rooms even though they has some issues with our booking dates. The restaurant food and service were okay. The wifi connection was spotty though. So overall a pleasant experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple