All reviewsstayed hereg adventuresteam kilimanjaroplace to stayon site restaurantcold beerpublic areasrooms are cleanmaasai marketclock towerkili climbbusy cityplenty of hot waterpre and postquiet placecouple of nightsnice pool
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A very good budget choice in Arusha located in the former residence of Bernhard Grzimek (‘Serengeti shall never die’). Not far from the city center but in a quiet area with lots of green. Basic but very comfortable rooms offering just what you need. Small swimming pool and a very good bar (especially the coffees and iced tea). Free wi-fi. Good place to relax after an exhausting flight or to wait for your plane when leaving!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had heard from friends about The Outpost but never had reason to stay until last night - I was really very pleasantly surprised and it was just what I needed. The rates are very reasonable given what it provides and there a many of those little extras which help to make your stay more comfortable which you would not normally expect to find in budget accommodation.

The rooms are basically furnished, but I was staying in one of the rooms in the garden and it was big, light and airy and clean. It had a big comfortable bed with a very well fitting mosquito net which covered all the bed and beyond. A lot of luxury hotels could learn a lesson or two from here about the bed set up! There were bedside lights and power points inside the net and within easy reach of the bed and I could receive wi-fi! There was a table top fan and a kettle with tea and coffee - something I don't normally see in other budget accommodation.There were plenty of towels and there was also soap and shampoo - again a touch not normally seen at budget level.

The bar/restaurant area was very pleasant and the staff were very friendly. I didn't have a meal because I had eaten already elsewhere, but the menu looked interesting and was very varied - good Indian selection.

There is a small swimming pool with a reasonable seating area around it, but unfortunately during my visit at the height of the rainy season, the pool was covered and it was not the weather for swimming!

The free wi-fi was excellent and could be accessed from the bar and from my room. The service over all was really good - I felt at home from the moment I arrived and I will certainly go back. Arusha is not my favourite place but if I have to stay here I couldn't think of anywhere better - it's down a very quiet street in one of the older, very pleasant, residential parts of town and the gardens surrounding the buildings are very mature and established - you would have no idea that there is a bustling city not too far away.

I would highly recommend The Outpost to anyone living in the area who is looking for a quiet break or to travellers who are passing through. It has the feel of an upmarket backpackers and when I was there it had a quiet vibrance about it which I really liked.

Room Tip: I would request one of the garden rooms - I gather the rooms do vary, so it might be worth asking to see the room before accepting.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Balitraveller53
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great place to stay before and after climbing up Kili.Stayed end of Feb/start of March. It was basic but inexpensive and clean.
The rooms were basic but comfortable and we had plenty of hot water for showers which was lovely after a week up Kili.Stayed in the two storey rooms.
The public areas were clean and the food in the restaurant was great and tasty and reasonably priced,although they didn't have everything on the menu.The breakfast provided by the hotel was good with fresh cooked omelettes.The bar area was great with nice friendly staff.
During our climb up Kili we were able to leave suitcases with our additional stuff and valuables in the safe at no extra cost which was great.
The pool was small but was cleaned and enjoyable to cool down in.
Be careful when venturing out into Arusha as you get bombarded by guys selling stuff and you have to be firm with them. We were warned by the hotel staff not to venture out of the hotel on foot after 6pm in case of theft/robbery.
The hotel was great to stay in and we were safe in there as they had security staff on at all times.
I'd be quite happy staying again if I return for another adventure.Our group all had a great time in the hotel in it's relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dangermouse2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Myself and a friend stayed at the Outpost for 2 days before and 2 days after our Kilimanjaro climb. We were in one of the older rooms for the first stay and the room was a good size, clean and a little dated but very comfortable. We were in one of the newly refurbished rooms for the second stay and the room was very large, clean and extremely comfortable.

We used the cafe/bar quite frequently and really enjoyed meeting others who were either coming or going on their own Kili climb and/or safari and it created a very nice, friendly atmosphere. The WiFi was the most reliable we encountered in our month in Tanzania and was appreciated! We did not use the pool but it did look clean, although quite small. The seating area around the pool was lovely and had the best wifi reception for those looking to make travel arrangements or connect with home.

The staff were friendly and accommodating, right from the front desk, to the bar staff and all others we met during our time. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend the Outpost to others looking for accommodation in Arusha.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WestKirsty
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A small hotel in a busy city. The rooms are mainly in individual small cabins in a secure garden. The one we stayed in had a nice double bed with 4 poster mosquito net. The room had a separate shower and toilet, small TV and adequate storage.
The hotel has a semi- outdoor bar and dining area. Breakfast (included) was buffet style and of reasonable quality. The bar was well stocked and also served simple meals. There is a medium sized swimming pool, surrounded by loungers, with some shade.
The area, as with most in Arusha is not recommended for night wandering. We had a very nice evening meal in the nearby gymnasium and the security guard walked us back. There is an ATM 200 metres away, and although the hotel accepts credit cards, the Tanzanian electricity supply can be erratic.. Would happily stay there again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple