“God value”
Review of Outpost Lodge

Outpost Lodge
Ranked #9 of 130 Arusha B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel the night before and the night after a Safari booked through G-Adventures. The rooms were comfortable, spacious, and the bathrooms clean with plenty of hot water. The restaurant was also very good. A comfortable, relaxing hotel to rest up before and after a week sleeping in a tent.

Room Tip: I was assigned different rooms each visit and was satisfied with both.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Fisheaglepoint, Owner at Outpost Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you. We really do appreciate that you have taken your time to let us know. Karibu tena!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We (two couples) stayed here for two nights. Rooms are adequate, albeit basic. Restaurant is OK but nothing special. Good wifi. Quiet location.
We arrived at 0030 after a late flight arrival at JRO. Only security guards were there to open the gate and it took quite some time before one of them managed to find some room keys for us. On getting to the room, there was no bottles water and when we asked the sedurity guards for some, we were advised that the kitchen and drink fridges were all locked up. Hence, no drinking water availble till the next morning. When I complained about this to an elderly lady who I was told was the front desk manager, I was told " . . . that we can't keep the bar open for late arrivals". I suggested to her that it was not a question of keeping the bar open, but simply one of ensuring that all guests have bottles water in their room, as is standard practice in other hotels in Tanzania. The ladies reponse to this was somewaht perplexing " . . . well next time take an earlier flight". Surely the provision of bottled water in a room would not cut heavily into the hotel's profit margin!!!!!
Some of the rooms back onto the employees quarters/work areas, and a rather untidy yard, which became very noisy from about 0600 onwards.
The hotal is owned by a South African couple who appeared to show little interests in their guests. At no time were we greeted by them at breakfast or lunch, let alone any enquiry about how we found things. Nor did we observe them greeting or conversing with other guests. This was in great contrast to our experience at the other six places we stayed at.
Very disappointing overall.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank travellingjrr
Fisheaglepoint, Owner at Outpost Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

We are terribly sorry that your arrival ,(lack of) welcome and stay at The Outpost was not what it might have been. We are following up on the disappointing issues you mention and appreciate that you have taken the time to let us know. Thank you.
We are sad to hear that we appear outwardly indifferent, since this is, honestly, not the case at all. Thank you again, and also for all the positives which you mention in your review.
PS This is not serious, but I am also a little confused as we are not South Africans?

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Cozy and peaceful surroundings, it's away from the main street so you don't get traffic noise. Clean rooms and great service, staff are polite. There are taxis ready to take you to town if you want. Breakfast is simple and adequate, the cafe has a variety of menu items for lunch and dinner. There is wifi near the cafe; you may or may not be able to receive signals in your room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Nice rooms, kind of dark inside. All groundfloor or first floor. Lots of lots of plants! Small pool. Watch your bags in the resaturant! Restaurant itself is oke, nothing special. Great place for stay at the beginning or end of a safari. Arusha is nice to visit for one day, not longer. Staff is friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were put up here by Team Kilimanjaro on our way to and from our Kilimanjaro Trek. The rooms and grounds were spotless on both occasions but some serious considerations need to be put into the way they manage their meals.

Every morning a buffet breakfast is available, it's all very lovely except for the bowls of jam they leave on every table which are invariably covered in sugar high bees. Whilst only a nuisance for the majority of travelers, those with allergies to bees should probably steer clear. The other question is why does the hotel bother putting out jam anyway, nobody I know would consider using it after it's been walked over by 15 or so bees. It makes very little sense to me.

Dinner is also pretty hit and miss. A friend ordered the beef pie. What he got was a sort of tasteless stew... None of the pastry that was listed on the menu, nor an explanation from staff. After another meal (an underwhelming curry) we decided to eat out for our remaining evenings.

The rooms at Outpost cannot be complained about, everything works and they are immaculate. However the meals need some attention.

Room Tip: The further from the cafe the better a security firm has guard dogs just over the fence that sometim...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was brought here by Focus on Africa, the organizers of my climb to Kilimanjaro. Even though I did not choose it myself, I became enchanted by the place. The room itself is basic, if not ... too basic. But it has a mosquito net over my bed to keep me safe. The shower and the toilet are not fancy but they worked. Had I wanted a nice hotel room, I would have stayed in an international hotel chain. But this hotel symbolizes the ruggedness of Kilimanjaro itself.

The outside is beautiful with thatch roof and log structure. There were some kind of banana trees, a gorgeous tree with flowers in white and other flowers in purple. I had never seen a tree with two flower colors before. While having breakfast the first morning, a beautiful bird with long, curvy beak landed so close to my table. It stayed there and danced around for me to admire. The staff gave me a hearty meal before my climb and I simply could not think of a better place to stay to experience Africa.

After the climb, I was assigned to a nicer room but it would not have mattered either way. As part of my own celebration, I treated myself to a steak dinner in the lodge's restaurant. It was the best beef steak I had ever had. If you have a chance to stay there, be sure to try that entree.

While I was gone with the climb, the staff kept safe my belongings in a shed and gave me everything back in tact. They were so wonderful and helpful. I would love to return to this place again.

This visit was made in Dec 2010

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Daniel N
Reviewed January 16, 2013

By Western standards, the place is pretty basic but we had a lovely stay for the 4 nights we were here. The lodge is on a quite pretty street on the edge of Central Arusha. The rooms were clean and comfortable and all have mosquito netting. The bathrooms are spacious and have both hot and cold water. The grounds are very nice and well maintained and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Cafe Mambo make solid food and is a pleasant place to just sit and hang out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family