“Enchanting place to prepare for Kilimanjaro”
Review of Outpost Lodge

and 1 more site!
Outpost Lodge
Ranked #7 of 121 Arusha B&B and Inns
Orange County
“Enchanting place to prepare for Kilimanjaro”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was brought here by Focus on Africa, the organizers of my climb to Kilimanjaro. Even though I did not choose it myself, I became enchanted by the place. The room itself is basic, if not ... too basic. But it has a mosquito net over my bed to keep me safe. The shower and the toilet are not fancy but they worked. Had I wanted a nice hotel room, I would have stayed in an international hotel chain. But this hotel symbolizes the ruggedness of Kilimanjaro itself.

The outside is beautiful with thatch roof and log structure. There were some kind of banana trees, a gorgeous tree with flowers in white and other flowers in purple. I had never seen a tree with two flower colors before. While having breakfast the first morning, a beautiful bird with long, curvy beak landed so close to my table. It stayed there and danced around for me to admire. The staff gave me a hearty meal before my climb and I simply could not think of a better place to stay to experience Africa.

After the climb, I was assigned to a nicer room but it would not have mattered either way. As part of my own celebration, I treated myself to a steak dinner in the lodge's restaurant. It was the best beef steak I had ever had. If you have a chance to stay there, be sure to try that entree.

While I was gone with the climb, the staff kept safe my belongings in a shed and gave me everything back in tact. They were so wonderful and helpful. I would love to return to this place again.

This visit was made in Dec 2010

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Daniel N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, CO
Reviewed January 16, 2013

By Western standards, the place is pretty basic but we had a lovely stay for the 4 nights we were here. The lodge is on a quite pretty street on the edge of Central Arusha. The rooms were clean and comfortable and all have mosquito netting. The bathrooms are spacious and have both hot and cold water. The grounds are very nice and well maintained and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Cafe Mambo make solid food and is a pleasant place to just sit and hang out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank James_the_Explorer
New York
Reviewed January 14, 2013

No frills, but this place is clean, safe and pleasant. Nice pool, good breakfast and great service-this reasonably priced hotel is a great place for a few nights between Kili and safari.

It has a lot of hikers/travelers there and a great vibe for down to earth fun people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ecsouthworth
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here after our Kilimanjaro climb and then again after our safari. Our first place was much nicer but 50% more money. This place needs some serious work for the money you pay. Our bathroom door would not lock except for the bent over nail. The second time we came back we had no water from our return from the dusty safari. We enquired and they said, "very soon." The next morning, we found out everyone else had water and when we enquired again (3rd time) the water magically turned on. Their restaurant is being renovated so the construction is excusable. But the menu is lacking. The breakfast is free and consists of a chef who will cook you an omelette. But don't expect a second omelette as they will not give you one. The only other items on the buffet are one kind of cereal, toast, one kind of jam, and fruit (pineapple and water melon.) The breakfast was mostly disappointing. For 3 of us, this place cost $90 USD and is one of the lower cost places. For a third world country, and for the facilities you receive, there is low value. No one came to empty our trash or give us new towels either. If money is an issue, stay here, otherwise there are lots of other nicer options to spend a holiday.

Room Tip: If you want internet, get one close to the cafe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The beds were the worst of out trip and left me with some back pain which still has not resolved.

The ceilings of our two rooms showed water damage.

Most importantly the toilet and shower need to be updated in terms of cleanliness and water flow.
All places in the bush were better in this regard.

Service was adequate, no more no less.

Surprisingly, the highlight of the facility was the cafe mambo for food, which I think had differentl ownership. The food was the best we had during our 14 days in Tanzania.
The noodles and vegetables was a great dish and breakfast was excellent in all ways.

Grounds are lovely and the location is a bit out of the way. While I understand this is a budget selection, the place need at least a coat of paint, better beds and and updated plumbing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed here three nights - 1 before Kili and 2 after. The first night was very noisy - we were at the front of the hotel and this seems to be where they put all the people who come in late. However, after Kili we stayed in the backside rooms and it was very quiet. Overall it's definitely not luxury but given the price it is reasonable.

The restaurant is also good (as is breakfast) however, there are two things of note - 1) there were signs saying they take visa but the machines were never working and 2) they charged us 4x the price for water the first day we were there; we only figured this out when we returned and were given a menu. Guess it depends on who serves you. Outside of these two points we were happy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank looseendsmakeknots
New York
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It’s somewhat basic, but very nice for what it is. Rooms are not very spacious, but are comfortable and good enough size. Excellent place for the price.

The restaurant is good, with good Indian cuisine. Breakfast is very good and can be filling. There is free wi-fi internet from the restaurant, but only the rooms close to it get it – or you can go hang out by the restaurant with your phone/tablet/whatnot. Laundry is available. Get it in by 5pm – if you get it in early, you can get it back by late afternoon, otherwise, the next morning. No phones in room, but you can borrow the cell from people in the front desk, and you pay based on the cost of the call – which can be quite a bit, about 2000 shillings for a few minutes. Two computers available for general use.

Location is decent. Not in town center, but not in the middle of nowhere. Close enough without being the middle of the noise and bustle.

Noise carries a bit, so you can hear people outside, but most people go to sleep early enough that it shouldn't matter. There is usually an "acrobatics show" in the restaurant area at 9pm, which you can pretty much hear throughout the hotel (drums), but it only lasts half an hour or so.

Excellent quality for the price in this area. You will run into lots of safari-goers and Kili trekkers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo