All reviewsstayed hereg adventuresteam kilimanjaroplace to staysmall poolon site restaurantcold beerpublic areasrooms are cleanmaasai marketclock towerkili climbbusy cityplenty of hot waterpre and postquiet placecouple of nights
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Overall tis place is nice. The rooms are cute and the pool is nice (but small). The Internet is tremendously slow. My only complaint is that if you're flying out via Precision air, know there's a cheap shuttle you can take to Kili airport. The hotel refused to assist with arranging this bc they take a cut on the $50 taxi. You can take the shuttle from the Arusha hotel or Kibo Palace Hotel up the street.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I frequently travel to Arusha, Tanzania. One of the places I like to stay is the Outpost Lodge. It's a great location, a quiet, tree lined street close to the central clock tower. The rooms are clean, although very basic and a bit beat up, the place is definitely on the budget side. The shower is great. Breakfast is nothing to write home about, but they do have good lunch and dinner. There is also a nice lounge area. As a solo woman traveler, I feel completely safe here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank erabin
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Outpost Lodge is a fantastic place to pass a short time if you're in Arusha for Safari, Climbing, etc. Very clean and simple, but just feels warm and authentic. Courtyard and cafeteria area are great places to read a book and the pool is not bad for a small lodge. Rooms are unique, with nice cave-like showers and tile, etc.
If you can stay here (instead of Pamoja across the street) then you should! All the standard stuff you might expect (breakfast, wifi, computers) plus some charm to boot, and very affordable and kind staff. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get rooms near the back ( I think it's the "A" wing). This area is nicer and further from the road and the constant barking night dogs of Arusha.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank SearchingUsa
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This place is clean, the rooms have character, staff is professional & the property is well kept. I love the lodge style, with shared patios out front. The one down side to this place is that the free Wifi was so spotty. They did have computer access for a very small fee if necessary.

The included breakfast was decent. Part is buffet style (we went in the first hour and not everything was ready yet) and the eggs/sausage was cooked to order.

We also had a decently priced dinner there and the servers were attentive and the food was good. The only thing to be aware of is that (with the exception of breakfast) the restaurant & cafe are separate businesses so they charge a different exchange rate than the hotel itself. A little odd. The Cafe had 3 pages of drinks, from fruit smoothies to mochas and lattes.

We also used their laundry service and it was amazingly fast. Returned from Kilimanjaro around 2 & immediately turned in a few items for laundry. When we walked out to dinner around 5 the maid walked up to my Aunt, called her by name, and returned her clothes to her.

We had plenty of hot water and the beds were standard and came with a very functional netting which surrounded both the beds. Lights were dim, but we found that to be the case in all of the places we stayed in Tanzania.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a budget traveler - just don't expect a Hilton or Hyatt.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed here on the nights before and after my safari. Having never been to Africa, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The Outpost is very basic, but pretty clean. The beds were comfortable, the room had a television with several channels (including one showing American tv shows), and the bathroom had hot running water. On the night before my safari I was in one of their garden rooms - it was a little noisy, due to nuts falling on the tin roof. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that there were cracks in the walls that allowed lizards to get into the room. I only saw two though. On the night after my safari, I was given a room in the main house and it was much nicer. It was bigger, on the 2nd floor so nothing falling on the roof, and it was built better so no critters could get in. If you are able to request your room, I definitely recommend asking for one of the rooms in the main house! The restaurant had pretty good food at a very affordable price, and the hotel even had computers with internet available for a very small fee. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful, and because the place is so small, they always remember you. I felt very safe and comfortable during my stay here!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are quieter and nicer!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo