“Good business hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Monarch Plaza Hotel
Ranked #12 of 123 Hotels in Taoyuan
“Good business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for business reasons and it was a good exp overall.
Like:
1. Rooms - amazing
2. Location - though far from city and work, mall next door is a good plus point
3. Service - good

Dislike:
1. Breakfast
2. Staff unable to speak English, which is fair enough but would be good if they could.

Overall:
If I have to stay in Taoyuan again, wont mind Monarch again. Great hotel overall

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am here on business and have had a very nice experience with this hotel and the staff! Everyone here is very helpful and friendly and make you feel welcome. The breakfast is nice and fresh and the food in the lounge is quite tasty. There is a lot to see walking around town as well as some very good restaurants and night markets. I want to thank Alice for all her hard work and hospitality, she is a great asst manager for the hotel. Hank and Lara are also very wonderful and helpful. The cleaning staff is great too, the room is always very clean and I enjoy the fresh fruit they leave in the room.
The only thing I would say I am not 100% happy with is the bed, I think it's a little too hard for me, but the pillows are nice.

Room Tip: for extended stays I would recommend a jr suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Annette H
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

PROS:

- Reasonable proximity to airport, roughly 15-20 minutes by taxi
- Room was upgraded to a suite upon check-in (booked direct through hotel website)
- Very friendly, helpful front-of-house staff
- Westerners will find the comparatively soft beds far more comfortable than several other area hotels
- Lots of breakfast choices and an evening nightcap ("welcome drink") were both included in the price
- Very fast internet service with a dedicated in-room router
- Fantastic and efficient airport transfer service experience

CONS:

- Carpet in my room was FILTHY with stains everywhere. It looked like a crime scene
- No power outlets for electronics anywhere near the bed
- Although it didn't bother me, some may find the hotel's location a bit isolated
- I noticed several mosquitoes in the downstairs bar, but this seems to be normal for Taipei

Summary: Others may disagree, but in my view the pros far outweighed the cons. Hopefully they will replace the room carpeting before too much longer.

Room Tip: The suite I stayed in was quite spacious and probably well worth the normal rate for those who value...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GlobalTrekPro
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in Monarch Plaza during my recent business trip to Taiwan. The hotel is located about 1/2 hr by taxi from the Taoyuan Airport. It is not exactly an airport hotel. The street around the hotels are mostly residential. As far as I can tell there are no major tourist attractions nearby.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but most of them did not speak English very well.

The room I had was clean and very comfortable. I liked the fact that there was a wifi router in my room. I checked the internet speed and it was 20Mb download and 7Mb upload, the fastest I have seen in any hotels I have stayed and it was free. The TV had tons of channel but most of them were in Chinese but it did have the usual CNN and BBC etc.

The breakfast buffet catered mostly for Chinese taste which was fine by me since I am Chinese but the food was cold even early in the morning. The western items were okay but nothing to write home about.

The hotel also had a Chinese and Japanese restaurant. I only tried the Chinese one and I think the food was a little greasy. There were many restaurants near the hotel so there are other dining options available.

I wouldn't say you should go out of your way to stay in this hotel but if you are doing business in Taoyuan area, the Monarch Plaza is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank clemc
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Monarch Plaza hotel gives you all comforts for your business trip. Very good rooms, excellent service, extremely hospitable staff and good buffet break fast.
It is very close to the Taoyuan airport and it takes less than 30 minutes drive to reach. There is a good underground parking.
The Buffet is a mixture of chinese and western dishes which turned out to be a wonderful combination.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PRABHU60
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went to Taoyuan on business for 8 days, and my company booked me this hotel. Right away I was impressed with the interior of the hotel. Normally, I go cheap on hotels as I use them primarily for sleep/shower (recreational traveling). However, on this particular venture I was in the room frequently to do work on my computer, meet clients in the lobby, etc.

Getting internet was no problem. Air conditioning was great. Staff was far more polite than what I am used to in the States. The breakfast was pretty good, with espresso machines.

I am not a fancy traveler by any means, so reading reviews about massages and such, that isn't my expertise. My only complaint was the laundry service was pretty outrageous price-wise. I had about 10 hours notice to prepare for this trip and did not pack appropriately for the tropical hell that is Taiwan. Thus, I had just a few changes of clothes that had to be rotated through the laundry. I went to buy clothes at the local mall, but got sticker shock at a pair of dockers that was almost 100$...

For a guy that is used to hotels in Peru off the beaten path, this place was pretty nice. If you are a more metropolitan traveler, your mileage may vary. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt N
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

So, the room was good and comfortable enough, but my biggest complaint is the lack of wifi throughout. There was wifi in the lobby and in the breakfast room, but nowhere else. Since I communicate with my wife via wifi during overseas trips, this was a bit inconvenient.

Also, Toayuan is a bit too far from Taipei City to be enjoyable. The area surrounding the hotel is not tourist friendly, with the exception of a modern shopping mall located directly behind the hotel. There is no nightlife, whatsoever, and the hotel bar closes early... not that the bar has anything you want when it's open...

Like I said in the title.. Maybe it was the area, rather than the hotel, but I think I'll stay in Taipei in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business