“Fy Yam Home stay”

Ranked #1 of 52 Taoyuan B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Fy Yam Home stay”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Our trip to Lalashan was filled with excitement and anticipation as we had heard of its beauty from a taxi driver whom we met at a previous home stay. Indeed what we had experienced on our 3 D2N proved true. After Taoyuan airport, we were transported to the cool, refreshing air. The winding drive was a breeze as we were mesmerized by the lovely landscape and savoured every minute of it.
At FuYam, every minute was filled with activity; easy going, unhurried; not dictated by any timetable. It was really relaxing, reflected in the WELCOME sign to “Slow down your life”.
Luck was our side and our room faced the mountain view. AWESOME is the word. Each morning, we were greeted by the chirping of birds and the rustling sound of the waterfall below us: music to our ears! Looking out of the window: the blue skies, a group of birds in the distant trees and pink and white sakura blooms dotted the landscape: a sight to behold!
Hospitality, warmth and sincerity are words to describe Mr. and Mrs. Chung and Brian who made us so welcome.
Mrs. Chung, a remarkable lady together with the Indonesian helper ensured our meals were taken care.; When the food was presented, it looked simple but after tasting them, it reminded me of my “late grandma`s cooking”. How lucky we were to taste such delicious home cooked food. Every meal was sheer joy. Food need not be complicated to taste good with preserved “mui choi” with minced pork, black bean sprouts with shredded chicken and boiled mustard with tangerine sauce. As I enjoy cooking, Mrs. Chung was very forth coming to share her cooking skills.
Brian, good looking and speaking impeccable English, made sure we were in good hands. He reminded us and made sure we had enough clothing, raincoats and umbrellas to challenge the trek up to the mountains. Nightly on our way back to our room, he would remind us to take care as it was wet and dark. My wife was so touched by such small details but it speaks volumes of the young man.
Mr. Chung was personally attentive towards all his guests and nights were relaxing! On the first night, the home stay had up to 20 but he made sure he sat around with each group after dinner, sharing wine with each and Peach liquor for those who preferred it. Indeed, the home made sweet and peachy drink was intoxicating…. In between bouts of “cheers!” he shared details of how he established the home stay, the difficulties in its initial years and minute details of for example how Mrs. Chung had to bring each stone… Both worked hand in hand to make it a remarkable and yet admirable success.
There was never a dull minute at the home. Agogo, the toy poodle making so much noise clamouring for Brian`s attention and the cutie pie, Armani. Xiao Hua, Mrs. Chung`s pet cat which was just satisfied on the sofa, waiting to be stroked. And of course the old faithful, Kiro, the Labrador which will follow one around. With the four companions around, there was so much fun: just playing with them.
The second morning was unfortunately raining but Mr. Chung was determined we got to trek to view the Cypress trees. Dressed with raincoats, armed with umbrellas and cameras, we, together with the locals braved the rain and trekked towards our goal. At each beauty spot, we captured them. The park is really scenic for photograph buffs. Surprisingly, the rain did not deter us from appreciating the beauty of nature. There was a lady cradling an infant with an umbrella and a toddler in a pram…. Beauty beckons….is really true.
That afternoon, Mr. Chung led us and three of his friends for an exploration of the vicinity. He is so familiar with it and knows every nook and crevice and we were told to work for our dinner. He taught us how to pluck the tender bird nest fern shoot and our group thoroughly enjoyed it.
A truly unforgettable home stay experience and hopefully we can revisit in the near future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Our group of 5 signed up for Fu Yam's 3D2N tour and subsequently spent the next 3 days at Taipei. Our common sentiments when we were in Taipei were: "we miss Fu Yam, Brian, zhong ma's cooking, our tour guide- Sky, Lala mountain... & KILO (their beautiful dog)...!!!"

Indeed, we do not mind a few more days up there!

The first impression was already  impressive. Sky, our tour guide engaged by Fu Yam welcomed us at the airport. From the first day to the last, he was simply more than a tour guide. He was a friend who took care of our needs instead of merely fulfilling the itenary.

The itenary planned by Fu Yam was just right. Structured yet flexible. They were always ready to adjust to our needs and to our best interest ie help us avoid weekend crowds at some places of interest.

For first timers, we strongly recommend taking their tour package. You will find the transport provided from airport to Fu yam very helpful. It takes 2-3hrs car ride to reach. In between, they will stop for meals/ sightseeing and we did not find the journey dreadful. That was really thoughtful. For those with motion sickness, do prepared your own medication. The mountain van ride can be slightly tough for city people. However, most of us did not find it an issue.

Rooms are FANTASTIC. Very clean. Towels, slippers and basic toiletries are provided. There are thermal mattresses and that was a pleasant surprise during a relatively cold night (10-20 degrees).

We were in Fu Yam 1-3 Mar. Spring  is a good time to go. The weather is cool. Colors at the mountains are awesome: a sea of green blended with occasional white/ red blossoms. Water along the stream is cooling. The sound of it hitting against the rocks simply rejuvenated the tired city soul. The night sky of stars is also another bonus. You are also likely to be their only guests, or maybe with at most 1  other group. Peace and quietness is guaranteed.

Zhong pa & ma were so hospitable, we felt very welcomed. Zhong ma's cooking is really.... Good! The portion was generous and we really can sense the sincerity.

Something that really caught our group's attention was Brian, son of Zhong pa/ma. Wow, a trendy young man up on the mountains...! Also, the access to wi-fi, tv programmes... This blend (nature & technology) is really interesting. For city people who cannot withdraw from Internet and tv immediately, you need not worry. Nonetheless, we would still advise you to spend more time with nature... !

Overall, all 5 of us were very satisfied. No complains... Really. We believe you will enjoy too :)

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank CharleneHeng
Reviewed December 6, 2011

As the word “Fuyam”, it is by my fortune (fu) and fate (yuan) that brought me and my mother to this beautiful home. I got to hear about Fuyam through WWOOF website (worldwide organic farming ) and got to stay here for 10 days. It was a very memorable experience for me and my mother. Affectionately called by the guests as Chung pa and Chung ma, they were a very friendly and warm couple. They built the whole place from scratch. I was filled with awe when Chung mum told me she designed every room in the home, together with Chung pa.
My stay at Fuyam was both therapeutic and enriching. There was so much to learn and experience. It is appropriately described as “shi wa tao yuan”, a place away from noise in the city.
As a WWOOF volunteer, I came here to “work” in exchange for food and lodging. I couldn’t say I am working, because I seemed to be receiving so much more here.
I learnt to mix the soil with different kinds of fertiliser, did some weeding, sowed different kinds of seeds and watered young saplings. When the weather is good and we can go outdoors , I got to pluck the lemons and harvest the mushrooms.. Chung ma and pa were so patient with me !
Chung mum’s home cooked food was simply heavenly. And this was also one of the “plus” points that added to the memorable stay of every guest here.
Their son, Brian was equally admirable too. At his age, his humble and friendly attitude towards people was commendable. He was unassuming and he served the guest to his best ability.
Though the vicinity around Fuyam has no shopping centres, you will be pleasantly greeted by the happy chirping of the birds early in the morning, the cool breeze in the wind, the clear rushing sound of water by the streams, and the many greenery and flowers around the home. There is a nice waterfall a short distance from Fuyam.
It offered much more than you can expect, especially if you love nature. The serenity and the peace of the place made up the many memories here.
We have a “star” in the family, that is our 50 kg Kiro. He is a companion dog. His eyes will “mesmerise” you such that you can’t help but cuddle him when you see him. He’s such a darling.
We also have a very capable Indonesian domestic helper who help out in the kitchen, tidy the rooms and do the washing. Within a span of 8 months, she can speak Mandarin rather fluently. She is a great help to Chung ma.
If anyone ask me, which is the one place that you should go when you go Taiwan next time, that will be Fuyam. And yes, I will go to Fuyam again, this time to visit this extraordinary family again. .

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Puah_mui_kiang
Singapore
Reviewed November 25, 2011

My 1st contact with Fu-Yam took place in mid-June when Brian Chung replied my email. Brian was very prompt in answering all my questions (we had tons of questions as it was our 1st Minsu stay in Taiwan) and told me I have time to think about the stay with them as it’s still early (we are travelling in November). I have made up my mind to visit Fu-Yam in 2010 after viewing the website and reviews. A HUGE THANK YOU to Brian for linking us with another Minsu at Yilan. We had a great stay there as well.

Driver (arranged by Fu-Yam) who picked us from Taipei hotel was very punctual. We got to experience some old street charm and sample simple local fare at Sanxia Old Street. Shopping at Sanxia is much more affordable. Same pair of shoes cost NTD$490 instead of NTS$790 (at Ximending). We proceeded to Xiao Wulai to see 2 waterfalls after that. The sky began to turn dark around 5pm and our driver was “a bit lost” (he has never been to Fu-Yam) as he failed to spot the several signs put up by Fu-Yam. Some of us began to feel worried as he had difficulty tackling the narrow road. It took a while but we made it.

We had the whole building to ourselves as we occupied all the Ou Fong rooms. My room is huge and clean with a super relaxing Tatami corner which I adore. A huge plus would be the dehumidifier in the room which absorbs excessive moisture. There is plenty of space to put our huge bags (Sorry!!! Too much shopping in Taipei!!!). SPECIAL THANKS to Papa Chung and Brian who reversed their car out to the parking area, loaded all our bags and drove them in. Our van could not get close to the property as it was too big. Papa Chung showed us the Tatami room (we spent lots of time in there) and the dining room where we could help ourselves to various floral tea and unlimited coffee. We enjoyed grinding the coffee beans as the aroma was incredible.

After spending 5 days in Taipei, we all agreed that we just had the best meals here in Fu-Yam. Nothing fancy or lavish but Mama Chung’s home cooked meals was what we craved for. Everyone ended up having 2-3 bowls of rice / porridge per meal. One evening, Papa Chung gave us a special treat, Peach Liquor. Very strong but it really warmed our hearts. SPECIAL THANKS to the Indonesian lady who served us our meals and cut our fruit.

We had several relaxing gatherings (tea & coffee coupled with real loud laughter) and lots of special moments with Kero (Fu-Yam’s mascot) in the Tatami room. TOP SECRET: Kero drinks water from the water feature without swallowing the fish living there. One afternoon, Kero followed us into the Tatami room as he could smell the “Golden horn bread” we bought at Sanxia Old Street. He sat and stare at us with his “please share your food with me” eyes. You won’t believe us, his eyes followed the bag of bread as we passed it around the room. We gave in but did not feed him a lot as he is overweight. We played a trick on him by placing a piece of bread on his head. He sat very still and kept the bread on top of his head until we took it down to feed him (Well done!!!).

Papa Chung brought us to visit a nearby waterfall and to the Lalashan Nature Reserve. Papa Chung knows the best photo taking spots and stopped his car several times for us to take a snap. We spent almost 2 hours in the nature reserve while Papa Chung waited outside patiently. It was an easy walk in the Lalashan Nature Reserve as the route is mostly flat. However, you need to tackle some steps (boardwalk) if you want to visit the oldest Cypress Tree (2,800 years old). Lunch at the local restaurant was delicious. Papa Chung was very generous and added another 2 dishes to the set menu which already comprises of 6 dishes and 1 soup. We visited a trout farm but could not stay for long as the rain was quite heavy.

On our last evening, we went to the Chung’s residence with the intention of settling the bill but ended up having a story telling session by Papa and Mama Chung. It’s almost impossible for us to visualize how much they have gone through since the day they made up their mind to reside at Lalashan 20 years ago. They built everything from scratch. Mama Chung said she could hear our laughter from the Tatami room and commented that we are a happy lot who “entertain” ourselves. Do keep your volume down if there are other guests. It’s really quiet in the mountain, especially in the evening. I apologized for the noise but Mama Chung smiled and said our laughter is a confirmation and assurance to them as they knew we are having a great time. Brian was busy preparing postcards for us to bring home while Kero was lying outside the door (he is not allowed to enter the house as Mama Chung has a cat named Xiaohua).

Departure was terrible as we wanted to stay longer. We shook hands with the Chung family and promised that we would return as we have yet to try the peaches (not in season), roast sweet potato under the stars and go fishing at the stream. To be frank, we were a bit skeptical before we arrived as we dread the thought of being “trapped” in the mountain with no shopping, night markets and convenience stores. Our verdict: we do not need all these as the Chung family has given and shared with us unconditionally all that they have. I have never experienced such generous & sincere hospitality in my years of travelling.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed a night at the Fu-Yam Tourist Home and we wished we had extended our stay longer. The room we stayed in was spacious as it was meant for 4 people but we requested for it because my friend and I wanted our very own beds. The room was nicely decorated in a country-style. The room was clean and stocked with adequate amenities.

Fu-Yam is located in the mountains and hence you'll be greeted by the mountains the moment you step our of your room every morning. The place is serene and there is even a stream nearby where you can visit and take photos.

The owners were friendly and hospitable. A stay at Fu-Yam includes home-cooked dinners and breakfast made with organic ingredients grown by the owners. They were simple but deliciously healthy. Guests can help themselves to coffee or tea in the common dinning area even after meal times.

I would recommend Fu-Yam if you want a quiet place to relax and unwind. As it is located in the mountains, you will need transport to get to places of interest though. This can be arranged by the owners. I would definitely return to Fu-Yam again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2011

There is really nothing much to pick at. Located deep in the valleys, the scenery is breathtaking. The air is great, the people is friendly, the lodge owner is extremely helpful and attentive, the accommodation IMHO is fantastic and lastly the home cooked food is simply delicious. Should i stay there for good?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Fu-yam homestay was the first stop on my family's 9 day trip to Taipei. We spent 3 days 2 nights there and immediately regretted not staying on for another night. The whole homestay was very well landscaped and taken care of. You can see sweet and thoughtful touches the owners put in during their 15 plus years of running this homestay. We felt very much at home, very relaxed and very tranquil. Bring a book, have some tea, play chess or just sit around and appreciate the sounds of the waterfall and sights of the surrounding mountains... you don't feel like you need to leave Fu-yam.

Other plus points are Mrs Chung's fantastic home cooked food, hospitality of everyone esp Mr Chung and Brian and a special mention to their assistant PR manager, Kero :) The naturally cool crisp air and 5 star quality beds gave us all wonderful nights sleep. We retired very early, slept very soundly and woke up very relaxed. I truly understand good sleep quality at Fu-yam.

On our departure back to the city, Mr Chung even adjusted the itinerary to bring us to a mini farm when he heard that our toddler loves animals and for Taiwan beef noodles.

After departing Fu-yam for the rest of our trip, we kept comparing the rest of our hotels to Fu-yam and how much we missed the beds, the homestay, the people and the tranquility. This continued even when we're now back home. Fu-yam has made a deep impression in us.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family