“Real Pizza , Real Good, Real Freindly”
Review of The H.O.P.

The H.O.P.
Ranked #38 of 1,799 Restaurants in Taoyuan
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The H.O.P. is a cozy establishment which offers great pizza, the best Buffalo wings in Taiwan, soft shell tacos, and many other tastes of home. We have cocktails, a wide variety of great bottled beers, and daily drink specials. Live music every Friday and Saturday so long as our musicians don't crash their scooters. Reservations are recommended.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Real Pizza , Real Good, Real Freindly”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you are hankering for real pizza (not Pizza Hut or Dominoes) then hop down to the H.O.P..
I have been in Taoyuan teaching English for the past 6 months, having relocated here from Chicago (a town well known for its quality pizza) and I can honestly say that the pizza here is as good as any I have had in Chi-town.
One of the things I have really missed since relocating is decent cheese, which is only found in expensive specialty markets here (and Costco). At the H.O.P., they use a brick, wood-burning pizza oven which produces a nice crisp crust. The pizza's are topped with a variety of ingredients and, most importantly, real mozzarella cheese. I recommend the smoked chicken mexican pizza which has shredded smoked chicken flavored with cumin, onions and jalapenos.
The owner is from Buffalo, NY and he is quick to tell you about his Buffalo wings which, while not overly spicy, are some of the best wings I have had anywhere. You can really taste the butter on the wings and tabasco is available if you want to kick it up a notch.
They also have a great beer selection including ales from Europe and Corona from Mexico as well as a full bar and always have some beer as a two for one or three for one special. The H.O.P. is a family run establishment and you will often find the owners and their son working together reminiscent of a Tavern in Chicago. They are very laid back and friendly and love to talk to the customers, giving them advice about things to see and do in Taiwan. They recommended an excellent Thai restaurant near the Taoyuan bus station to me and , if I knew the English name of it, I could offer another rave review.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great pizza and beer selection. Worst nachos ever!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The pizza was better than what I expected. I eat a lot of pizza, and have very high standards. What I ordered there was delicious.

The nachos, however, were horrible: stale tortilla chips, and that liquid radioactive "cheese" stuff you get at 7-11 in the States. Nachos, if you can cook at all, is one of those things you can't mess up. These were worse than baseball stadium nachos.

The beer selection was surprisingly satisfying--a few really rare ones on offer.

For a pizza and plain nachos, a coke and a beer, it was almost NT$1,000 -- way too pricey, especially considering it's all the way out in Taoyuan.

I'll probably go back the next time in that neck of the woods, but only for the pizza and a beer.

The music selection was satisfactory. But a couple came in and asked to have the TV near them turned up so they could watch a stupid talk show. Being near them, that's what we had to listen to. This shouldn't be done in a restaurant/bar.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Chef_Brently
Nathan M, Owner at The H.O.P., responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Many apologies! I have addressed the TV situation with my staff and it shall not happen again. Indeed, the situation you described should not occur in a restaurant.

Thank you for your comments regarding the high quality of our pizza and beer selection. We are always looking to improve the quality of other dishes and your comments will certainly be taken into consideration.
Hesperia, California
“very good pizza!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were wanted something other than oriental food and I found this place on TripAdvisor (under a different name - glad to see that has been fixed). Nathan, the owner is very friendly and helpful and made our meal enjoyable. We had buffalo wings, chili fries with jalapenos, and two pizzas - one thin crust the other thick. Everything was very tasty and we all enjoyed our meal. Worth stopping by when in Taoyuan!

Visited April 2013
Potomac, Maryland
“Now The H.O.P Pizza”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Pizza was very good, people were very friendly and the beer was cold. Not much else you can ask for in Taoyuan. Definitely will return.

• Visited April 2013
REGGIO EMILIA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice and kindly”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was in Taoyuan last week for a job trip. I was in H.O.P. two times. Very good Pizza and various types of beer. Donald the boos is very nice and kindly. The price is good

• Visited March 2013