“So-so but you get BBQ/bake scallops, prawns besides the usual stuff”

FengJia Night Market
Ranked #1 of 124 Shopping in Taichung
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Regular food stalls where you can get local snacks like XL Fried Chicken Chop, Fried Mushrooms etc.. but they do have special stuff like 'explosive chicken roll' which is chicken thigh/drumstick wrapped with different flavours, bbq/bake scallops, giant prawns cooked in different flavours - pepper, spicy, original etc. Majority shops sell hp accessories at the night market.

There are newer reviews for FengJia Night Market

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just located outside an university hence stuff are mainly cater to the younger group. Do go there with an empty stomach as food there are delicious. The famous 'Da Chang Bao Xiao Chang' and 'Charcoal BBA Zha Ji Pai' are awesome! Definitely worth the queue and I do not remember seeing the latter in Taipei. Most stalls are opened by 5pm and the crowd generally comes around 6plus. If your main reason to visit Taichung is Fengjia Market, then do look for accommodation near it. Else, I feel staying near the Taichung train station is a better bet. Public bus journey between the 2 stops takes about 30 - 45mins depending on the traffic condition.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I like night markets, mostly because I'm curious of what's in season for that locale, and the various trinkets and gadgets displayed for sale. Since I'm not a fan of street food or walking around and eating at the same time, my recent walk through FengJia night market was completed within just an hour. The swiltering summer heat may have something to do with my brief visit. Luckily, there was a McDonald near by for A/C, cold drinks and bathroom. Visited FengJia several years ago in the winter, much more tolerable then.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This place is really huge! The first time I went, I thought it was a small area and that I'd covered it all. But I realized that the night market doesn't cover just one street but several! Just take note that the last bus back to Taichung train station is at around 10pm, which is quite a turn off as that is quite early. It is hence recommended to find a hotel near this night market. Another night market to recommend is Yizhong Street, which is mainly for locals and students.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I visited our son in Taichung May 5 - 11 and one of the highlights of our visit was the
FengJia Night Market. It is loud and busy and bright and smelly and a whole lot of fun! The people are very friendly and helpful. We were able to shop for all kinds of goods without being able to speak any Chinese. And, during our first visit we were witnesses to a police raid! At the far end of the market there are aparently vendors who set up on one side of the street without having the proper permits or permission. We were looking at some items at one of these vendor stalls when someone yelled "Police!" and all of the vendors on that side of the street grabbed their stuff, which was mounted on racks with wheels, and disappeared down side alleys. It took us a second to figure out what was going on and to get out of the way of the fast moving racks. We watched with fascination as the police raid unfolded. It turned out to be one officer, a rather large and capable looking fellow, walking alone down the street looking rather bored. He turned down the alley right in front of us and proceeded to write a ticket for one of the illegal vendors who lost a wheel on his escape rack and was not able to get away in time. After the excitement faded we continued back through the night market certain that the racks would come back out as soon as the officer went on his way. On another visit my son and I went in search of stinky tofu. We were advised by one of my son's Taiwanese friends that the stinkiest tofu in Taichung was at a stall on one of the side streets that radiate off from the market itself. We followed our noses and sure enough wound up in front of a large food stand with a large seating area. The smell of the tofu was absolutely vile, not fit to be described in detail here, and not to be easily forgotten. And people were packed into the place eating the stinky tofu like it was going out of style! My nose, and stomach, came very close to rebellion but we placed an order. When it came we each covered one of the stinky tofu squares in pickled cabage and and a little chili and gave it a try. While it is not one of my favorite things to eat it really wasn't too bad. Nothing at all like the smell would seem to indicate. And, I did like it better than the duck tongue and the chicken intestines! My family had a ball at the FengJia Night and would highly recommend that you visit whenever you are in Taichung!

2  Thank Stacey B