“Holiday inn express: service express”

Holiday Inn Express Taichung Park
Ranked #20 of 278 Hotels in Taichung
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Room big enough and clean but basic, bathroom very small with strange window to hide from the room.

Very average service. Staff not professional.

Good restaurant, especially for dinner, good cook. Breakfast is fine.

Location is near train station and 1min by foot to bus station if u plan to go to Sun Moon Lake.

No benefits at all for Platinum members. First experience in a Holiday Inn express and last...

Room is pricy for what you get.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank pitt1912
KarenHsiao, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taichung Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear pitt1912

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Taichung Park.

We do appreciate your complement of the food in our restaurant, but feel sorry that our service falls behind your expectation. The bathroom window is one part of our brand standards due to eco-friendly orientation; however, we will refer your concern to our corporate head office as a priority improvement of guest experience.

Regarding membership benefit, we provide one complimentary drink and daily newspaper for IHG Reward Club members; especially for Platinum member who will receive welcome snack in the room. We do apologize if we did not inform you ahead clearly when you check-in.

Hope we can see you back in the nearly future and have an opportunity to provide you a pleasant stay.

Holiday Inn Express Taichung Park.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Arrived late in the evening direct from our flight into Taipei. From TPE we took the "FreeGo" bus company as it stops closest to the Holiday Inn (although the bus is not as nice as Ubus which stops at the station and is a little work if you have many bags). Friendly arrival and quick checkin, they also ask if you need any amenities at the desk. Rooms are a really good size which is why we opted for this hotel again for our annual family trip home....good if you have kids too, they left us a bath tub and cot for our son. Good breakfast included, western and Chinese. It's a clean, modern and solid choice to stay....we like this part of town as its close to the bus and station (not high speed) and the park. Taichung is so easy to get around anyway. Main station also has buses to sun moon lack etc.

Room Tip: Outside facing room.....we had indoor which is ok, but miss natural daylight.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LondonMatt75
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed here in September 2013 after a hiking trip in the Yu Shan / Alishan area.

It's easy to find (I took a taxi from the car rental drop off) and in Taichung in general, I found all the people that I asked were always helpful with directions and generally being very hospitable.

More on the hotel - it's convenient, it is on top of a mall and lots of convenience stores around for anything you need and the Feng Jia Food Street is about 10-15 minutes walk away. The room was clean and big (not that I was expecting it not to be) and having a very early flight, the staff arranged for a sandwich, a salad and an iced tea as a breakfast take-away when I checked out - very good service. The price was very good as well - I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ken B
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The location of this hotel is very good. Free parking on site. A good selection of breakfast compared to other HI express. There is a famous local food - AhShuiShi Pork Trotter just a block behind the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Illini C
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Holiday Inn Express is always one of my favorite hotel brand and always my first choice if there's one at my destinations. It provides great value for money and great interior decor plus 4-Star hotel services.

This Express, locating right next to Taichung Park, proves once again that my choice is correct. The hotel is very well maintained and the staff are all very friendly. Room is very clean and cosy. Bed and pillows are so comfortable that I had a very good night sleep after a long journey around Taiwan. It was right on top of of an outlet shopping mall, where it's easy to start the visiting / shopping from. The hotel is not far from the railway station business area. It takes 10 minutes to the Taichung railway station and a couple of shopping malls nearby. Quite a few local restaurants to check out around the hotel building...

All in all, I'm a very picky guy but I don't see anything to criticize. I will definitely stay at this hotel again for my future visits to Taichung.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are not facing the city view side. You might want to check with reception before m...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here during 11 April 2013, as part of our Taiwan trip. The room is good and clean with nice bathroom, but the bed size is very small, the initially allotted twin bed, as we have child, we asked reception to change the room into queen size, but they said not available, and need to pay extra for upsize room. disappointed. but we exchanged with fellow traveler who is allotted with queen bed instead of twin.

The hotel location is good, huge shopping mall below the hotel, we bought a Coach bag, slightly cheaper than Singapore.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jeganarayanan
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its location at Taichung Park, a short walk away from the end point of the bus ride from Taichung High Speed Rail Station.

At the check-in counter, we were informed that some toilet amenities (eg soap, toothbrush and comb) were not provided in the room but we could obtain those that we wanted from the counter. This surprised me as I initially thought that it was a labour saving measure. But as a green initiative, it is a superb idea to avoid wastage. Guests who require toilet amenities can obtain them from the counter and the hotel staff do not have to waste their time placing and replacing these items in the rooms. Other hotel chains can learn from Holiday Inn. One of the items which I selected at the counter was a cake of soap but I found this to be unnecessary as liquid soap was, indeed, provided in the bathroom. I returned the soap to the check-in staff on my way out to the night market (a must-go, ask the staff for directions).

It was a long walk from the lift lobby to our room as it was a corner room. The room was small but we were impressed by the floor-to-ceiling windows which we understand is a selling feature of the hotel. We had an excellent view of Taichung Park.

Being a member of the Intercontinental Group’s guest program, I was informed that I would be entitled to a complimentary newspaper which I had to collect from the check-in counter. Again, this was not merely a labour saving measure but also made good sense as we would have to pass by the check-in counter on the way to breakfast which was served in the “Great Room” located beside the check-in counter, in the atrium of the shopping mall to which the hotel is connected.

The “Smart Start” breakfast was pretty standard with cereal and bread, a few hot Asian dishes and juice and coffee from machines. The best part for me was the guo tie (pot stickers) which I thought were delicious. They filled my stomach and gave me a good start to the day.

The best thing about this hotel was the staff. They were always smiling, enthusiastic and eager to please. Such a good attitude is the result of not only training but also the internalised desire of Taiwanese to provide genuine good service. I had always thought of Holiday Inn as being a generic hotel (something like the McDonalds of hotels) but my short stay at the Holiday Inn Express Taichung has changed my opinion. I will always remember it for the human touch from the staff.

If you feel that my review has been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple