“Bring a light!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 298 Hotels in Kaohsiung
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Bring a light!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

A clean and stylish hotel in Kao, but the decor is very dark in hallways and the rooms. Actually the lighting in the rooms is fine, but the overall impression is a bit dark. The rooms are quiet and comfortable, and well equipped, with the biggest bed I've ever slept in.

The location is close to the subway line and the night market, and there was plenty of parking available in the basement garage. The restaurant had a reasonable selection of western food for breakfast. I can imagine that dining on the rooftop terrace would be very nice of an evening, but did not have an opportunity to do this myself. All the staff were pleasant to deal with and spoke good english.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

It is a beautiful hotel - very stylish and with morden design. Travelling from Canada as a family of three, we decided to book this hotel for two nights based on the decent reviews on this site while attending a wedding in Kaohsiung. However, I was very disappointed by the staffs on duty.

As soon as we checked in around 3pm, I realized we could use an extra blanket for my son. I phoned the front desk and and was told they would bring it to the room. We waited until 4pm and no one showed up. We needed to head out for family gathering so when we were at the front lobby waiting for other family members, I went to the front desk and told they my request again. They said the blanket will be in room when we were back later that night. We came back to our room around 9pm and the blanket was not where to be found. At this time we had a very tired 3 years old kid so I went head and put him to bed while hubby went down to the front desk and request a blanket the 3rd time. Fifteen mininues later, a female staff knocked on the door empty handed and with the "we were bothering her attitude" told us if we want the blanket they will have to charge us TW$300 for the full set of bedding. I explained to her I only need the blanket not full set of bedding and three times when we requested the blanket no on had told us we needed to pay for the extra. If we had known this earlier, we would make another arrangement. She then questioned me " didn't it cost us to wash the bedding/blanket?" "Don't you think it's fair that you paid for the cost?" It was now 10pm with a kid sleeping in the room. My husband is a Canadian and he travels a lot. This was the first time ever, we/he experienced this. We had to asked to speak to the mamager after 15 mins of nonsence talking with the female staff. The issue did resolve after the manager arrived but the treatment and attitude from the female staff was totally unacceptable from a hotel that was marketing themselves of providing "peacefulness" to the travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank HCH1999
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is my first time visit to Kaohsiung and would like to stay in a trendy hotel. However, having searched around from internet, all hotels in Kaohsiung are very traditional style which are quite different from Taipei. The only hotel which I thought suitable was Hotel Dua. Unfortunately, I was not able to book a double bed room as all were full and thus I booked the 14-ping room which was a twin bed room.
The room is very spacious and bed is comfortable. Although our room is located in 11/F, the view is blocked by the roof of the next building. However, we can see the view is very great from the 15/F restaurant.
There is also gym room and laundry in 10/F which we also used. As self laundry is free service, usually is occupied by guests.
Buffet breakfast is good in Taiwan standard I think. There are plenty of choices and egg cooking stations. However, the table setting is a bit strange.
Anyway, I will recommend Hotel Dua to anyone who visit Kaohsiung.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bird-Bird-Blogger
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

we travelled here from the uk for my son's wedding using the banquet facilities and bar for the reception. The facilities were amazing and food faultless. we then went on to stay here for another week in excellent comfort.

The rooms are large , spotlessly clean and well organised. plenty of room for bride , mother in law and bridesmaids to get ready. I loved the luxurious. oriental feel to the décor. and the big soft bed.

breakfast was brilliant with a huge international choice.

The laundry room is a big bonus because the Taiwanese humidity and heat makes it necessary to change clothes at least twice a day.

we shall defiantly be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The good:
-Sleek hotel design
-Friendly staff
-Good rate
-Next to MTR, convenient
-Great breakfast, you can bring the plates on the patio if it's not too hot outside
-Room was very comfortable

Have fun finding the door, it is a mystery, just like the hotel's pronunciation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ImpartialConnoisseur
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I don't know why other travelers are so critical of the staff - they are excellent! We were upgraded to a larger room for free, and whenever we needed something there were two or three very genial and professional staff to help us. The common areas, restaurants, and rooms are gorgeous, elegant, and modern. The complimentary breakfast buffet will appeal to a range of visitors, from European to Western to Asian. The free laundry services are very much appreciated if you've been traveling for more than a few days. The location can't be beat - the hotel is less than a block from the Formosa Boulevard MRT station, where you can catch either the red or orange lines. There are also two very good night markets in the surrounding neighbourhood. The area is clean, safe, and bustling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rowena H
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This lovely hotel situated at the intersection of the (only) two MRT lines in Koashiung and it's only 3 mins walking distance from the MRT. The hotel is new, clean and the breakfast on the top floor with great view. Couldn't make any comments regarding the service but with the price and the location and the new decor I cannot complain about anything. Will definitely stay at this hotel again should I visit Koashiung again!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business