“The best place to stay down south.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cozy Planet Hostel

Cozy Planet Hostel
Shanghai, China
“The best place to stay down south.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

After 3 nights in Taipei, with my money running out, I was panicking about my final 2 days in Kaohsiung. After getting of the High Speed train from Taipei, I called Cozy Planet and spoke to Sam (I think that's his name). Sam was really helpful and gave me directions from the station. His English is perfect. I arrived at the hostel (really close to Central Park Metro Station) and Sam showed me round the available rooms. Wow. This place is unlike any hostel I've ever seen. It was extremely modern, a great communal area, free wifi, a computer, printer, television etc. The rooms are a good size, have sound proof windows and air con, and come at a great price. The mattress is more comfortable than my personal one! Sam showed me all the hotspots of the local area and gave me lots of suggestions.

I had a great time in Kaohsiung and Cozy Planet topped it off. My only critique is that you have to make your own bed, but Im just lazy!

Highly recommend!

Room Tip: In less busy times you can get a room alone for less than the single room by asking for the twin roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank dmc1989

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taichung, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Regular travelers in Taiwan would probably agree with me in saying, Taipei and Hualien aside, that Taiwan, although having numerous plus points, lacks in infrastructure for budget orientated, non-Chinese speaking backpackers. So what a pleasant surprise to come across this wonderfully well-run, cheap oasis in the centre of Kaohsiung. Beginning with the organising before our arrival, to the directions, the website, the enthusiastic attitude of the staff, the soft bed (no Taiwanese hard beds here!), the "cozyness" of the lounge area all of which added up to a very nice spot in which to bed up for a night or two whilst in the city. As Taiwan will become more and more a destination of choice for backpackers in the years to come these are the types of places that will succeed, it really was tremendous value for money.

Non Chinese speakers can call up and ask for Caleb, a fluent English speaker.

The hostel is located about a ten minute walk from the Central Park MRT, so is very central to most things.

If in Kaohsiung i recommend Cozy's. For value of money, the helpful, informative staff and the location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lardylove
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Only spent one night there, but impressed with the hospitality. I told Sam my expected arrival time. I forgot to print out my map, and at KaoHsiung airport, the visitor's information counter knew that place and advised me the correct metro station to alight. Just when I was staring at the vicinity map around the metro station to figure out how to get there, Sam called me and gave me directions. What a godsend and I was most touched.

The hostel itself is nice, clean and spacious. The location was safe and wheels friendly. I travelled with luggage, no problem wheeling my luggage all the way to the metro station. (disclaimer: few steps between lift & ground lobby).
Would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank eliseljh
brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

Sam and Mark speak English and are very helpful. The place seems newly redone and it so clean and organized. There is a shared kitchen on the floor where I stayed and since it was off-season and quiet, I was upgraded from a dorm to a double room which I had to myself. The lounge area was comfortable with a tv and computer (free wifi) though I didn't use them. It seemed very secure and was pretty easy to get to from the train station (take subway to Central Park station and walk about 5 minutes). The neighborhood has some cute shops nearby and just a few blocks from Love River which is a nice walk or bike ride.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank elwoodkitty
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Finding a hotel that meets your needs without spending a lot of money is difficult in Taiwan, even if you speak fluent Chinese. It's not that there aren't nice hotels out there, just finding them is difficult. My wife and I stayed in a private room here.

Pros:
Great location, close to shopping and a metro station
Private rooms or bunks if you're a single traveler
Cheap
SOFT BEDS! Often hard to come by in Taiwan
No smell of smoke
Clean
Kitchen to cook food if you would like
Helpful staff
Cold A/C in room

Cons:
Shared bathroom
No A/C in common room, just fan

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisjw4