“Most comfortable hotel bed we've ever slept in!”

Shihzuwan Hotel - Kaohsiung Station
Ranked #45 of 319 Hotels in Kaohsiung
Wellington, New Zealand
“Most comfortable hotel bed we've ever slept in!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

After being freaked out by another motel near by, we stumbled upon this hotel at 3am on a Sunday morning.
The lodge is spacious and comes with free wi-fi, we sat there until the man at the counter came into work at 6am.
He was extremely helpful when I explained to him our situation, and even though he said we may have to wait until 9am to get a room vacated and tidied, he went out of his way to secure us a clean and quiet room by 8am.
The bed!!! It was the most comfortable bed we've ever slept on outside of our homes, with a massive TV (although why watch the TV when you can go shop outside!) and it was spacious for a "standard" room. The toilet's clean and tidy, the only down side for people who may be concerned is that the room we had did not have a window that opens to the outside. It may just be the room we got though, but it didn't bother us.

The buffet breakfast has lots of varieties, and the environment was great, and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

P.S. The price was a bonus!

Room Tip: Some comes with jacuzzi, just need to ask!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Cabnolen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This hotel is newly furbish & room is spacious. I stayed here for three nights with my partner and friends.

The room is huge and it comes with jacuzzi for two with a TV. You might not be able to get the same stuff same value comparing to hotels in Taipei. There's dispenser in the hotel room which provide hot water for your individual usage.

Liohe Night Market is within walking distance from the hotel, which is directly across all the wedding / bridal boutiques. The hotel is also near to Kaohsiung KRT and TRA, which is around 5mins walk.

Overall, I am delighted with this hotel and will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Silentscope
Malaysia
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This hotel is newly furbish & room is spacious.There's other hotel on the same row nearer to the KaoHsuing main station but all of them were very run down.

My booking was made thru Agoda & it was surprise that the room comes with Jacuzzi LOL.
There's dispenser in the hotel room which provide hot water for your indivudual usage.

Liu He Night market is just within walking distance to hotel.
Apart from this, KaoHsuing Transportation (高雄客运) is also within 5 min walking distance from hotel.You can take bus from here to FuoGuoShan (FGS)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank BlingMalaysia
London
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Great location nearby metro station.
Did not expect much for this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, cleaniness and the atmosphere. Room are modernly decorated and comfortable. Tea/coffee making facility available.
Hotel breakfast as a great selection of chinese food and nice coffee.
Well done to the hotel management and the entire team of crew.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JerryMJT
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed December 24, 2011

It is very near to the Kaohsiung Main Station (MRT) , around 5mins walk. We booked a room for 4 for NT$3000 and it is very worthwhile. There is a jacuzzi in the toilet and a TV screen in front of it. It was a pity that we stayed there for just 1 night and cant enjoy the facilities much. The manager and counter were very polite and friendly as they helped us with directions for our first day in Taiwan. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed in this hotel 2008 for around 3-4 nights, the staff were fantastic and some could speak english! they even looked after our luggage for 2 days when we did a trip to Taroko.

They rooms were fantastic! nice big room with a huge tv, and the bathrooms were amazing, with a huge jacuzzi bath and tv mounted in the wall!

There was free laundry facilities and the restaurant which was on the 2nd floor was ok too.
In the reception area there were pc's that you could use free of charge. Over all the hotel was spotless.
Its not a hotel for people on a 2 week holiday, I don't think there was a pool, and its on a main road, but as a stopover/business for a few nights it was great!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Maeleeliu
Pyonyangshire
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I don't normally write reviews for every hotel I visit (in fact, my TA membership was prompted by a hotel chain asking me to rate an awful hotel of theirs!), but it's unbelievable that this amazing hotel doesn't have a single review in any language!

Stayed one night on an agoda rate of 46 Euros (1850TWD). Location can't be beat, it's 200 metres from the central railway station, with direct MRT links to both high-speed rail (10') and airport (15'). The more touristy parts of the city can also be reached quite quickly by MTR.

The lobby isn't particularly big, but it's airy and has some very comfortable armchairs and sofas. There are 4-5 PCs that are free to use and also a printer that apparently you can also use for free (I only had 3 pages to print, not sure what'd happen if you wanted it to churn out an encyclopedia)! Most staff seem to speak some English, and there's always at least one person available with excellent command of the language (try looking for a Chinese speaker, or even a Spanish speaker, in a British 3-star hotel and come back to tell us how you fared!). Check-in very quick, and the lift whisks you up to your room, and WHAT A ROOM! Admittedly, I am not sure of the exact name of the room category, but agoda seems to classify it as "Double" (with a sizeable premium over the cheapest type which is "Business" and can still sleep 2). However, it certainly was a marvellous place to be in, easily bettering most of the 5-star rooms I've slept in (as far as I can remember, only a suite in the Garden Hotel in Guangzhou was better, and that costs about 350% more). Spotlessly clean, lots of space, big bed (softish for Far Eastern standards, which is a good thing if you're a European!), plenty of natural light, mood lighting, wooden floors, a 40" LCD TV, fridge with 2 complimentary water bottles, kettle, tea and coffee (of course), nice chairs, writing desk AND coffee table, and a fantastic, massive bathroom with comprehensive amenities (incl. toothbrush/paste, razor/cream, and even bath salts), and a full two-person jacuzzi tub facing another LCD TV!

Of course, as 95% of the clientele is Chinese, the breakfast was more Eastern than Western, with cheese nowhere to be found. However, there were quite a few options and, even as somebody who doesn't care much for Chinese breakfasts, it was easy to assemble a dish with a decent amount of decent-tasting stuff.

On checkout, they were happy to hold onto my stuff until it was time for me to leave the city.

If one were to nitpick, the only imperfections of this place would be the lack of a shower separate from the jacuzzi tub, the relative scarcity of Western breakfast options, and perhaps the fact that they called me at 11:40 to remind me that checkout was at 12:00 (I did it at 12:10 without any issues). I'm also not sure about in-room internet- I didn't really have much luck with the wi-fi, maybe there is a LAN cable available, but I didn't ask because I only wanted to check a couple of things, which was done on the lobby PCs. Furthermore, one might like to note that there are a lot of "love hotels" operating in the neighbourhood. I don't think the Shihzuwan is one of them (or, if it is, they do clean and maintain it very thoroughly!!), and Kaohsiung is a very safe city so I didn't feel at all worried.

It will be clear to the reader that the above mini-issues in no way detract from the fact that this hotel is an absolute BARGAIN in every sense of the word. I don't know when I will have the chance to return, but it can't come soon enough!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo