Location in park is great. Pickup from train was prompt. The views and location are amazing. Our cabin was tidy, comfortable and fairly insect free (all very reasonable for a mountain cabin).
We also booked a car and driver through the hotel to show us around the gorge the next day. The lady who drove us around was nice. Her car a was a bit old, but for a day of sights it worked. Our driver didn't speak english. If this is important to you hire a guide too I guess.
That said, this is not budget accommodation, so I was let down by a few things:
- The food is not so good. We had really salty ribs, bland soup, bamboo rice, slimy salad. The roasted mountain yam was good. Basically the food and dining hall reminded me of being 15 again at camp but with worse food. (At least camp had mac and cheese and taco night :)
- The performance they do each night just ruins the peace and quiet for 2-hours. Unless dance music and subwoofers have a strong connection to the indigenous people of Taiwan, I don't get it.
- Again Taiwan, the mainland tourists are challenging. We were woken up at 6am by a Chinese tour group posing for photos on our porch talking at full volume. For gods sake.
- Breakfast. Again, not so good. Braised cabbage, eggs and corn?, stale cereal.
So you want to visit the gorge? Stay here. Don't expect peace and quiet, but it could happen. If you're a picky eater load up on snacks either in Taipei or at the 711 train station - beer, ramen, egg or dumplings in a bag (yummy! seriously) - and you're good to go. This is what I did and it saved us from being hungry. I've learned my lesson from staying at lots of places like this - bring your own food and you'll be happy.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Leader Village Taroko reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leader Village Taroko Hualien