“Great nights stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 122 Hotels in Hualien
Leicester, UK
“Great nights stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Silks Place Taroko for me was the relief at the end of a long journey from Taipei. It starts the relaxing as soon as you enter the minimalist lobby. After an easy check in I was taken to my room which backed out onto the bottom of the mountains and I slept in a firm but comfortable bed to the sound of a stream bubbling outside.

The hotel has a great swimming pool on roof which is a nice place to relax; and gives you a 360 view of the valley around you. The restaurant was the usual buffet; which I generally avoid- but there is no a la carte option here. The internet was not especially quick but the wifi worked great in my room at the coffee shop.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank u07ch
MickTaipei, General Manager at Silks Place Taroko, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Dear Silks Place Taroko Guest
Thank you very much for your nice word about our Hotel and Service Quality. We are very happy to have your feedback what us a lot of motivation to improve every day a little bit.
We have a unique location and we can provide a unique warm hospitality.
I would like send you my direct email if you or any friends would like visit Silks Place Taroko
please contact me directly to meet you/them next time at the hotel.
Warm Ma Lu Su
Michael B. Gaehler mgaehler@silksplace-taroko.com.hk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We booked this hotel through the internet and got it at quite a good rate of $3900 NT on a week night for a mountain view room. We thought we would be getting a room facing the moutain as it is shown on the hotel's website, instead, we got one facing the courtyard looking straight into reception with a glimpse of mountain. When we asked for a better room, they said all mountain view rooms faced the middle, so unless we wanted to pay more, then that's what we get.

The corridors reeked of some very unnatural chemical smell. Some part of it smelt like a combination of hair removal cream and chemical hair perm product, while others smelt like strong insectide. I had to hold my nose everytime I walked through to get to my room.

The internet in our room wasn't working and when I enquired, the reception staff was rude and said that it's impossible that the LAN cable wasn't functional. They did agree to send a techo to check it out and it was indeed the LAN cable's problem. Wireless connectivity is quite poor, even though they claim to have various wireless points throughout the hotel.

The room itself is quite nice, clean, very roomy and modern. The bed however was quite uncomfortable, it slanted to one side but we'd given up complaining by then, so we had terrible 2 night's sleep.

The buffet dinner which we paid $800 NT each for (+10%) was atrocious. I wouldn't recommend going there - try the local food stall that might look scary but actually serve much better food. At the buffet,I found plastic in my salad, the grilled fish was raw in the middle and everything tasted stall and bland.

The rooftop pool is the highlight of the hotel, it overlooks the gorge and is simply stunning.

Even though I was quite dissatisfied with this stay, I would still recommend it as it is the only proper hotel in Tiansiang. There is the youth hostel, which is cheaper but not as luxurious.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Zigletta
MickTaipei, General Manager at Silks Place Taroko, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Dear Silks Place Taroko Guest.

Thank you for your review and comments. We are very shocked about your experience with us and would love to contact you directly in this case. We take your comments very seriously and we know we can do it better. Please send me your contact that I can go in touch with you to personally and I am sure your next stay will unforgettable - but next time in a very good way.
Thank you to give us a other chance and hope to hear soon from you.
Michael B. Gaehler mgaehler@silksplace-taroko.com.tw
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

My friend and I traveled from Taipei to stay at this hotel, which had been recommended by a colleague. We had paid slightly more than the regular price so that we would be upgraded to the "retreat floor", which had quite a few lovely amenities, including a private lounge and dining room which was only available for retreat floor guests. Our guest room was quite large, including a big bathroom, and had a great view of the gorge and a nearby temple. The hotel staff was very professional and helpful, and the service we received in the retreat lounge was truly outstanding. We took a half day tour of the park (included in our package) and it was a nice introduction to the natural beauty that Taroko has to offer. No doubt there are cheaper places to stay in Hualien (about an hour away), but we decided to splurge for our two day visit to Silks Place, and have no regrets!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Silks Place Retreat Guest
It is a pleasure to read your comments about our Retreat Suite. We are very happy to have so many good feedback about our Hotel and your comments are for us most important. Please
do contact me any time directly for any future reservation we are more then happy to have again special care about you or your friends.
Warm MA LU SU and hope see you you soon again
Michael B. Gaehler
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

A Hotel in the middle of the National Park Taroko is special in itself. What a breath taking environment! The mountains, the river, the canyons, the little temples. From the Hotel you immediately step into this beautiful world.

The Hotel organizes half day trips with excellent guides. Overall the staff of the Hotel did everything to make sure I had an unforgettable stay. The service attitude is of the right level and I was impressed by the level of English language of the staff.

With my curtains open and a comfortable couch I had a beautiful and relaxing view on the river.

Take the train from Taipei and you will be in Hualien in three hours. The Hotel picks you up from the train station for a one hour tour through the mountains to their scenic location.

It is al more than worth it to escape your Taipei business setting for a couple of days! But for sure I would have also liked my family to join me in this trip…

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Silks Place Guest
Thank you very much for your very positive feedback and we are more then delight to know you had a great stay with us. We train our staff daily and try to improve our service everyday.
With feedback like yours we know we are on the right way and we need to make sure we never stop to be get better. It would we very nice if you come back with your family and for this I would ask you to contact my directly so we can have special care for your stay. Warm regards and hope we can welcome very soon again at Taroko National Park.
Michael B. Gaehler mgaehler@silksplace-taroko.com.tw
taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

it is nestled in taroko national park (which i love most!). super hotel for relaxing and do nothing. the room is new renovated with minimalist style. i got a room with balcony with a river view, which is very beautiful. super view! i just love the fresh air in there!
we tried the outdoor swimming pool but the water is freezing even though it is summer. the swimming pool attendant gave us a glass of water with lemon for free (very touchy). the food is good. but personally i think it should only be rated as a 4-star hotel and the price is way too expensive.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rubytaiwan
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I can't say enough great things about this hotel. This is truly a 5 star hotel with exceptional design and service. If you are visiting Taroko Gorge National Park, this hotel is nestled right in the middle of it. You can arrange a shuttle to pick you up at Hualien Train Station. Be sure to take at least one of the half day tours that is offered by the hotel. These are small groups (5-6 people) and is a great way to see a lot of sites. We did both the evening and the morning tours, but if you can only do one I suggest the evening. If you ask, you may be able to get an English speaking tour guide, but honestly the Gorge speaks for itself. We will definitely return to this hotel, as I really didn't want to leave.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank travelgal098
MickTaroko, General Manager at Silks Place Taroko, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Dear Silks Place Taroko Guest
Wow!! Thank you for your feedback and we are very happy that you enjoy so much our establishment here in middle of the Gorge. So many people still do not know how stunning this aria is and if you understand the historical background, perhaps with a tour guide who speak your language you will learn so many stories about the aboriginal life what make your stay more memorable. We are really looking forward to have you soon back and please contact my directly so that we introduce you some aboriginal person who knows all the stories from this gorgeous Taroko Gorge. Here my personal contact mgaehler@silksplace-taroko.com.tw
your Michael B Gaehler
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

The only 'hotel' at 500 m up the Central Cross-Island Highway (横贯公路). My family stayed in a "Gorge Suite" (峽谷套房) which is very big. it has a dining room, (with a big dinning table) a sitting room, one guest bedroom with 2 single beds and a main bedroom with a very bid double bed. There are 3 toilets inside the suite, two with bathing / shower facilities. There are 3 sets of TV inside the suite. Broad band internet is available. The view towards the Gorge is very impressive and there are trees around the rooms. It was very pleasant and comfortable just spending time inside the suite.

The only problem was that the air-conditioning was too effective. My mum staying in the double-bedded room had to turn off the air-conditioner as even if she turned the thermostat to 30'C it was still very cold.

The morning buffet breakfast was included, excellent choices of bread, cheese, fruits, juices, cold and hot choices of Western and Chinese style. We have had dinners twice once at the Chinese restaurant and once at the Western restaurant. Taste was good, but a bit expansive and portions were rather small.

Staff are excellent. Very polite and very helpful. During our stay there were very few other guests (it was said the hotel has just finished refurbishment for about a month) and we had the whole lobby to us for an hour in the evening. The design of the main lobby has a style and very elegant.

The location is remote. It takes about half-an-hour to get there from Hualien (花蓮) by car. Transport is mainly by hotel transport of self arranged transport.

Overall the stay was very pleasant except for the dearer price for everything.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family