It's the only hotel in the park, and certainly the only decent hotel in the surrounding area. The hotel is in a fantastic location, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Taroko National Park, our room faces the gorge and the river that runs thru it with the misty mountains all around. The hotel itself is simple, nothing fancy, with very friendly staffs (although quite a few don't speak English very well) with ready smiles. The outdoor pool is nice, overlooking the gorge and river, although cold in April, but there are 3 jacuzzis next to the pool to warm up.
It's a bit of a trek to get to, coming from Taipei, you will need to take a 2-hour express train, which takes you to Hualien and from there you either take the hotel shuttles or taxi (another hour to the hotel). Taxi will costs you about 1200 NT and it's easy to get from the train station and they are friendly and courteous. Make sure you book train tickets early so that you get on the 2-hour express rather than the 4-hour stop at every station train.
The downside of the hotel is there is really no place to eat other than the ones in the hotel (a western and Chinese restaurants). There are a few Chinese restaurants a few hundred feet from the hotel, very basic (chopsticks in a bucket on the table type of basic) but food is not bad and will costs about $5 to $10 USD per person. The western restaurant is $25 USD per, serving short rib, lamb chop and salmon, nothing special, with wide selection of sides (the sides are served buffet style). The other downside is for someone that like to relax with a good cigar, is you can't smoke anywhere on the hotel grounds, including the outdoor pool area. I can understand not smoking indoor, but outside in the wide-open space!?! Plus are the beds are a bit on the hard side, not quite the mainland China low budget hotel hard, but certainly not western-style pillow top either. Small nits, good place to stay and relax
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silks Place Taroko is part of the FIH Regent Group, under the Silks Hotel brand. Away from the city center, this mountainside hotel, located in Hualien County, is the only 5-star hotel within the Taroko National Park. Silks Place Taroko is designed with Modern Chinese style, combining Taroko's cultural and environmental characteristics, creating "elegant and sophisticated resort life style" with exclusive services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Silks Place Taroko reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silks Place Taroko Hotel Hualien
- Grand Formosa Taroko Hualien
- Grand Formosa Taroko Hotel